Eurodrivers Management.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurodrivers Management.

This has kind of been a long time coming, but I wanted to raise some concerns about Eurodrivers management team. Mainly on the events side of things. I have nothing against Colin/Rod/Tyler or the previous presidents/vp's as they are all good friends of mine, but would like to see some good things come out of Eurodrivers this year.

This thread is mainly about event coordination and organization and what i would like to propose is some management changes or at the very least, the addition of a Events Coordinator to the management team along with an events committee underneath. Voted in by the members of the club of course. From what I've seen in the past, is that management positions are usually just appointed by the ones leaving, and i think these changes should be a club vote instead.

This year is the 15th anniversary of Eurodrivers, and i know theres chatter of events being planned. But i haven't seen much initiatives from the moderators/admins on really getting things going. Another example is Driven is two months away and I've had friends ask if Eurodrivers has a booth. I know Rod has been chatting with Mark(organizer of driven) and probably has a confirmed booth. But things should be getting started in my opinion of getting a list of confirmed participants and such. From my experience of Driven 2015... the organization and planning of the Ed booth was very lackluster, and was a reason i did my own group for 2016 and again for this year.

I know there are a lot of members that don't post alot who are lurking on Eurodrivers but are active members of the vw community and im sure would love to join in on event planning and organization. Im sure there would be a handful of people who would love to help plan some potentially awesome events.

Personally, in my opinion, Eurodrivers needs to be hosting more events. A proper car show, as well as the into the rockies weekend that we all enjoy. I would love to step up and help out organize events and play a bigger role in the Ed community if voted in by members.

I dont intend to offend anyone by posting this. And i especially dont want this to become a big bi*ching fest at each other, But i think this club has alot of potential that its missing out on. I also know that the Vw/Euro Community in Calgary and even Alberta is very divided. I think this could be a very positive thing for Eurodrivers and the Euro community as a whole.

So to summarize,
    I would like to propose some management changes. An Election of New management of Eurodrivers Board (old Presidents and vp's) President, Vice presidents, Events Coordinator and Events committee members.

I would also like to hear forum other members what your thoughts are on this. Please speak up as i think Eurodrivers has alot of great people who are lurking on here.

-Danny
    Last edited by Danaldson; 02-27-2017, 05:24 PM.

Re: Eurodrivers Management.

I talked to Dan about this before him posting. I'll stay out of this for the most part.
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I think Danny has brought up alot of good points and ideas forward.

In the past, I have tried to help out as much as I could and have suggested ideas or things we could do as far as events go. I was always shut down on the spot but yet, I see no positive changes to advance Eurodrivers as a club and group.

I think if we can make some changes, it could really benefit the group and community as a whole.
      I would like to see a voting system also, where everyone here has a say on the way things go and how things happen as far as management. I feel the club is big enough, that with everyone help and input, we could have a Eurodrivers show. We need the right people of course, and people who can give their time to help out. Its a big task that will need people to take it seriously. Not to say we need to over throw anyone now, but why not have more on the board to help out and make things happen, with the support of those currently running?

I've been part of the group a long time. I am very active (at least I think so) and most of the time do my own thing along with Dan and some close others when it comes to shows. As I can't speak for how they feel, I just feel that Eurodrivers is always disorganized and a let down when it comes to shows. I know it cost money to do these things, but there are ways we can always raise money for it.

Since I'm mainly addressing the event side of things, I'd like to see maybe 4 or 5 people to start and organize events and shows for 2017. I think we just need people who are more active in the club to step up and get things rolling. We can do better.
      Last edited by VwSweetHeart; 02-27-2017, 03:31 PM.
      ~Tracy~
      MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
      Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Danny, i'm sure that wasn't easy to post, but I do agree on the event side of things.

Eurodriver's has great bones, good following, great group of people behind it, many with skills and connections that can be used to help better the club. Activating an event committee and and support team will bump this club into the next level!
        2016 Tiguan R Line - AKA Thomas 2.0

Comment

Danny,

I'm really quite happy that you spoke to Rod about this first, it shows a lot of care and attention on your part.

I may not post on here often, if ever. However, I do believe that you have hit some key points on the head that several members have spoken about in their own little circles.

There is a huge gap in the leadership of the euro and water-cooled scene in Calgary. There are lots of opportunities for us to do more, take on a bigger role, and show that car enthusiasts aren't all the internet tells the general public.

I am very interested in seeing some discussion and input.

It is my belief that elections need to be held regularly, to ensure that the people driving the community are accountable and aligned with everyone in it.

Historically I have stayed out of club politics for many reasons. I recognize that now is our chance to step up and partner with groups like CVVA, and create an environment much more like Vancouver or Montreal. One of inclusion for all and a passion for euro(regardless of brand or vintage).

I've been around the scene since 1998. I've witnessed the rise and fall of lots of clubs and cliques. The group that separated themselves to found the club that morphed into this, didn't do it for the right reasons initially, but in the following years they recognized the reason they separated and decided to be different and foster a better community. It is on these values, that we need to be leaders in taking the community to the next level.

Cheers,

Bryan
          Bryan Railton
          '18 Noggy TTrs
          BBS, ABT, Milltek

Comment

I'm not too concerned about changing up what we have now, but going forward I don't see any reason why we couldn't do an election in the event that someone moves, steps down, or whatever else.

It would be nice to see more events, gatherings, etc, though. I'd gladly put my name forward to help out in this department beyond the few little things that I have been doing for past year or two. That being said, obviously school stuff has to come first for me, but this generally isn't an issue since show season doesn't overlap with my school schedule.

I agree with Bryan that it would be nice to bridge the gap between clubs in the area in order to advance the Euro community in the city and province as a whole.

I'd say I've been fairly active in the Eurodrivers community for about 5 years now, and I've definitely noticed changes in terms or event turnout over that time. This includes our monthly meets as well as shows, whether it's one that we organize or one that's organized by another club. It seems to me like the division in the community that Bryan touched on has caused the turnout of some of these events to decrease recently.
            Last edited by CGY_GTI; 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM.
            Scott
            '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
            '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

I think event's are part of it. I however feel the lack of willingness to adapt is a broader issue.

We don't elect people to government for life, they have a term. This keeps the system "honest" and allows for the body to change and adapt as needed. I sit on a few boards, and it's the same for non-profit organizations and condo complexes as well. When people are left in a position without an recourse, then they don't always represent the direction of the community.

I'm not saying the current group is wrong, I'm just saying I think that you would have increased membership, involvement and interest if it was kept somewhat fresh. There are monthly meetings, but there is no "business" discussed. There is no plan or vision for the club and their for no direction to move in. There needs to be a vision to create value for people to want to be involved, for people to want to PAY for a membership. There also needs to accountability, disclosure and transparency of the governance, not limited but primarily including finances, e.g. fees collected for dues and events. How are finances spent? Can ED even host an event? is ED insured properly to do so? is ED registered as a non-profit? Often being a non-profit allows special consideration and an ability to have free banking or access to venues and support not entitled to "a group of people congregating".
              Bryan Railton
              '18 Noggy TTrs
              BBS, ABT, Milltek

Comment

I have to agree with Danny to some extent. Not that the group is poorly managed, but I've never seen a group with so much untapped potential. Everyone here is really close, many much closer to being friends rathe than just forum members.

To some extent, and I hope I'm not flamed for this, but the potential of this group could be paralleled with the "Lowcals Movement". The close knit ambiance provides for a great base for attracting new members. I think interest will be generated if people are attracted with a reliable outlet to showcase their cars and get together. Take a look at the closetohome show, its not hosted by eurodrivers, however IMO is primarily compromised of ED members.

I agree that having someone appointed to specifically be in charge of events could be a good idea. I also think that moving forward voting with a specific term period could work.
                Dylan

Comment

As someone who is no longer in touch with the day to day activities of the club but still has a deeply vested interest I would like to make a few comments, but of course I support whatever you all want as personally I just want to see ED continue to be a home for all of us. This group/club/organization getting to be 15 years old is something that fills me with pride, plus I have made many great friends from within these walls and I hope that many more of you will gain a similar experience as time continues to march on.

In the distant past we have dabbled with elections and events coordinator positions and the results were mixed, people have to want to participate, volunteer and of course there is the logistics of an electoral process. People also need to devote themselves to their roles and aspire to make an impact and get some results, which are easier said than done. As someone who has organised an event like Driven many times it is a difficult and frustrating event; people are in, then they are out, you are left scrambling to fill spots and when you get to the show there are a bunch of other club members at different booths you did not even know about.

That brings to divisions and underperforming, and I agree with Bryan the origins of this club were not for the right reasons but I like to think we grew from that and carved out a nice space for us in the scene, but it seems that there are so many groups now that it is really hard to make ED on a level some of you crave when the participation is not what it needs to be.

As myself and the old guard have faded away I really would love to see some of the ‘newer’ blood take and mould this group into what you think it should be, and you have my full support in anything I can help with and offer you, as getting some events going would be amazing to see as remember at the end of the day it is all about the cars and making some friends!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

There are aspects that could be done better, and it's a great opportunity for more people to be given more responsibility to make the club better.

Since we don't really have an allegiance to a brand (on paper), then we have a great reach to the Euro crowd.

It's a lot more work than people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Danny brought up a lot of good points, the club needs a bit of a refresh and the electoral process could be a good way to go about it. It would be nice to see people who are at the very least active within the community to hold these positions.

Bryan brings up a lot of good points about the clubs financials, have we ever looked for local shops to sponsor the page such as audizine or dubberz? I don't imagine the cost would be huge but it would no doubt be a huge benefit to them and the members if we were to start becoming more active with shows etc.

Myself personally am not overly active within the community and haven't been for a while, barring my friendships with the few I've met here. I'm not interested in holding a position within the management 'group' but would be more inclined to help out and be more active within the community if the club started going in a different direction.
                      Last edited by funkin; 02-28-2017, 05:54 AM.
                      TJ
                      '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                      '01 Silver S4

Comment

Everyone has made some great points here. I thank you for your input. I hope more get involved in the conversation.

Originally posted by GTi View Post
                        I think event's are part of it. I however feel the lack of willingness to adapt is a broader issue.

We don't elect people to government for life, they have a term. This keeps the system "honest" and allows for the body to change and adapt as needed. I sit on a few boards, and it's the same for non-profit organizations and condo complexes as well. When people are left in a position without an recourse, then they don't always represent the direction of the community.

I'm not saying the current group is wrong, I'm just saying I think that you would have increased membership, involvement and interest if it was kept somewhat fresh. There are monthly meetings, but there is no "business" discussed. There is no plan or vision for the club and their for no direction to move in. There needs to be a vision to create value for people to want to be involved, for people to want to PAY for a membership. There also needs to accountability, disclosure and transparency of the governance, not limited but primarily including finances, e.g. fees collected for dues and events. How are finances spent? Can ED even host an event? is ED insured properly to do so? is ED registered as a non-profit? Often being a non-profit allows special consideration and an ability to have free banking or access to venues and support not entitled to "a group of people congregating".
                        I think bryan hit the nail on the head. I think its important for the club to know part of the business of Eurodrivers. that way we can keep the club accountable and it helps improve the group. At meets generally we just shoot the sh*t, which is great because we are all great friends, but there needs to be talk of events, and business.

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                        I talked to Dan about this before him posting. I'll stay out of this for the most part.

Rod i would like you to be apart of the conversation. Like i said, i dont want this to be a topic of attacking the current management group. I Want to see Eurodrivers improve and grow to something awesome.

I know you said there was a vision for the club. Why not share what that vision? It could give us more insight on where the club is going. That way the members can help push ED towards the vision, or mould the vision into something else. From what I've experienced, it seems like ED in the last few years has just kind of existed... Not expanded or grown. I think steps need to be taken to get Eurodrivers growing again.

The reason i made this thread is because i care about the club, and the people who make it up. Also the reason why i post so much on here.... I have made some of the best friends in my life from coming to my first meet. Thats what this club is about in my eyes. I would like to see the club be a place for new members to become apart of our family as it is for many of us now. And i think steps need to be taken to get us there. With fresh faces in management, and a reformed ED team.

Now im not exactly sure how the logistics of an election process works. Maybe see how CVD has done their recent elections?

I think some change to Eurodrivers would bring alot of faces that we haven't seen in a while, or those of have left for other clubs back to help mould Eurodrivers to something that is best for the whole euro community. Like i said, and many know that the Euro/Vw Community is extremely divided in Calgary and even Edmonton.(Eurodrivers, CVD, CVVA, 403 Dubs, Dasdubebrs, Air riders, Darkside, Etc.) I think a change to ED can begin to fix those divisions and bring the euro community together.
                        Last edited by Danaldson; 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I also think we could all benefit from seeing what each role in the Ed team is in charge of. I know many of us, myself included would be interested in taking a bigger role in eurodrivers. Maybe laying out what the president, vice presidents and other positions duties are?

Personally i would also like to see more roles added by elections.

President
                          1 or 2 General Vice presidents - in charge of general assistance of president and other vp's
                          1 or 2 vice president internals. - in charge of internal member affairs, merchandise, etc.
                          1 or 2 vice president externals - in charge of external affairs. Sponsor ships, recruitment, etc.
                          1 Vice president of events
                          Events committee (5 ish members)
                          Last edited by Danaldson; 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I hope no one takes offence to my perception but I do not think that a change in Eurodrivers management would really help the club a great deal, to me it is the perception of what Eurodrivers is as a club. As a person who mostly just lurks on the forums, the club comes off as a club that is more geared toward the higher end of the euro scene as allot of the owners cars are newer high end Audi and VW. This gives the perception to a person looking in from the outside of what kind of demographic the club caters to. Where as clubs like CVD are perceived to cater more to air cooled , and Dasdubbers is more geared to Blue collar VW types. If something needs to be done with in the Euro Scene, it would be more collaboration between the different clubs to promote each others clubs and events . Organization of bigger events that encompass all euros with a collaborative effort for the planning done by all the clubs would also go a long way to promote the European car scene in Alberta.
                            Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

It has been my idea to grow the club from the beginning, but as Blair has said it can be frustrating. Euroquake/AutoUnion were yearly shows that we organized for years and while it worked for the most part, in the last few years the numbers weren't there and we actually didn't see much go to the charity. One of the main issues was the over saturation of car shows at the time, especially the Illmotion show as they were near or on the same weekend as our show. That's the main reason we moved to doing a cruise for charity. Our overhead was relatively low and we could give most of the proceeds to the charity. Another was the handling of the logistics of the show were huge and the man power was sketchy at best. For those organizing the show it wasn't fun anymore.

With Into the Rockies, we pay for the shirts and the stickers are donated by Tyler so almost all of the money raised over the year, that includes membership fees, goes towards the charity. Last year we had a total of 10 new memberships and 12 membership renewals. The only other costs for the club are the domains intotherockies.com, intotherockies.ca and the hosting for them. eurodrivers.ca is hosted and managed by Bart so no real cost there, thanks Bart!

We've never charged for advertising as far as I know but it could be something to look into in the future.

We are not registered as a non profit in any way Brian and while that seems like a logical step to take if we want to make the club grow from where it's at right now it is not something that can be taken lightly or on a whim. There are tax filings, reports, etc. that would need to be handled. Not against this at all, just need to go into it with eyes wide open.

We all want to help and make this club grow even larger but how do we do that? Do we have a show of our own again? If so, when and where? I'm all for this but we would need people to commit and follow through. Some on here have committed and followed through and I thank each and everyone of you for that help.

I have no problem with the Club having elections but as Blair said there are logistics involved. So we need to organize all of those things. CVD was a **** storm last year and I do not want that for this club. Ever.

What I would ask from those here that want to make this a great club is to wear your club on your sleeve. Promote it, love it and participate in it. Driven is a little over two months away and, yes, I have spoken with Mark@Driven and we have a reserved area. Unfortunately life has gotten in the way for me these past few months and I'll be flying to Chile in the next couple of weeks to handle some family affairs (this growing up **** sucks lol). As Blair also pointed out, one of the most frustrating parts of this is organizing the members for these shows. People say they'll go with ED and then they go silent when the show comes around and then when we go to see the show lots of those people are there but have decided to go with other groups or friends. While I have no problem with this as a whole, if we want to make this thee club we have to stick together and go as a group to show off what great members and cars we have in ED (which we do by the way).

We have to recognize that up to now we have been a bit of a niche club in the VAG scene, but as time goes on and we get older and new members come on board the club evolves. Where it evolves to next is the main question we have to answer. Are we the European Car Club that is like an umbrella for ALL european cars? Maybe. If so then we have to look as CVD, DasDubberz, etc. as possible members in this enterprise. I think we can be this for sure. Here is the reason why I feel this. The nucleus we have formed from the inception of NCVD and it's evolution into eurodrivers has created an atmosphere, in general, where all are welcome and celebrated for their individuality. We do not discriminate when it comes to european cars, we accept them all.

This post by Danny has created a catalyst for moving this forward and for that I thank him truly. Now we have to move forward and put up or shut as the saying goes!

So how do we handle this in the short term then? Well I propose that we stay as we are up top until we find a solution (could be the same, could be elections, we can talk about this over this on Thursday) and that we appoint an events/marketing VP and a team working with him/her to make this year a great one.

Driven is the first task at hand. What do you guys wan to do with that? Do you all want to have a big presence there? If so, then I suggest we get something together now. As I mentioned Mark@Driven likes us there and we have a space for ED reserved.

I always felt that this group was much more than just a car club, as I have made great friends through here at a time when I needed it most and for that I thank all of you.
                              --
                              Rod
                              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Working...
                              X