Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello everybody! My 24v GTI VR6

Alright guys, figured it was time for a little update:

Gotten a few things done over the last little bit on the golf. First off, I finally got around to replacing a bunch of the cooling system. Replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing, crack pipe, and coolant, and she runs like a top now! Huge thanks to Natty for getting me OEM parts so quickly.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I also test fitted my wheels, and I'm really excited to see what they look like once lowered! Picked up a set of 20mm H&R spacers for the rear to make up for the square set up.
    Rears:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Fronts:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Also got my 3 spoke steering wheel reupholstered. Got a cheap leather steering wheel cover from China, but it came out great with some care and attention to detail while stiching. Genuine leather too!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Refinishing my headlights also happened, hopefully now I'll be able to see at night.

Wetsand and clearcoat to clear the lenses:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Painted the high beam bowls yellow:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Masked the bowls and signal light, then painted the rest semi-gloss black:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then rebaked to glue the lens and the housing back together, then resealed the seam with silicone to ensure no water leakage.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And voila!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Threw the headlights back into the car yesterday, and they make the car look very MK2...

Needless to say, very excited to get this thing finished and out to meets/shows! Hopefully getting it insured, registered, and inspected tomorrow, then she'll be back on the road. Next up is coils, fender pulling, and new wheels on. Hoping to get that done next weekend, if anyone wants to come hang out just let me or Jason know!
    - Brandon

Budget Baller - 2003 GTI VR6
    Slowbaru - 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Comment

Nice work, kept it up!
      Dylan

Comment

Great job on those headlights!

Sent from my perch atop Mount Olympus
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Looking great dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those headlights came out amazing.
            2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
            2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
            2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Wow genuinely amazed at the steering wheel looks like it will look amazing.

More pics of the parts on the car?
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Such a cool original idea for the headlights....thumbs up!!
                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah really happy with how the lights came out. I'll try to get some more shots this weekend!
                  - Brandon

Comment

Awesome job!

Comment

Alright, time for another update!

Been pretty busy with this thing lately. Wanted to get as much done as I could on my week off between school and work. I'm pretty pleased with my progress.

First things first, finally got the GTI back on the road! After not seeing asphalt for over 2 years, she finally got to stretch her legs again. Got her back on the road May 1st, and sold my Subaru the same day, could not have went better.

A few days later, I got busy with suspension. Bought 034 Motorsports stiffened upper strut mounts, new strut bearings, new nuts and bolts, and got my coilovers in the day after driven Huge thanks to Colin at Calgary Autoworks for getting my the parts ASAP and letting me come grab them after shop hours.

On stock long beaches with a little bit of lows:

Naturally, next step was wheels. I went with 18x9 et28 with 225/40 r18 rubber in all four corners and bought 20mm spacers for the rear. Thus, fitment issues became a thing. The front wheels are extremely close to the struts, so close that I have to keep them high enough to ensure that the collars line up with the stretch in the tire and not with the rim, as they WILL gauge. I'm pretty much riding on the edge right now, this picture should show you what I mean:

Believe it or not, they do not interfere at all as it sits. However, I would like to go lower in the near future. Anyone have any 5mm to 10mm 5x100 spacers they'd sell?

The wheels poked a fair amount, but I was able to pull my fenders enough to have them fit nicely without rubbing. Huge thank you to Rob for lending me the roller.

The rears are a different story. I pulled them as much as I could, but 20mm was a little too ambitious. They rub like a b*tch, but if you ain't rubbin' you ain't dubbin', right?

Finally got around to installing a new cam position sensor last night, and she's running great now... more or less. I'm continuously finding more and more problems with it as I drive it, sitting for 2 years really did not do this car any favours.

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with how she's sitting, and this will be more or less how it sits for this season I think. Few more little things on the way, but nothing too major. Did a little shoot in my dad's driveway, enjoy!

Looking forwards to bringing this things to meets soon! See you all there.
                      Last edited by Brandon_24v; 05-16-2017, 07:50 PM.
                      - Brandon

Comment

noice. love those wheels
                        D R E W

Comment

really digging the look!

Comment

Working...