Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Mini... no, the OTHER Mini.

Originally posted by onceover View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you're not sure what aluminum alloy to use, you probably shouldn't be designing your own wheel faces. Companies spend thousands of man hours designing and analyzing designs and then have to go through destructive testing before they can be deemed road worthy. This is a serious safety hazard...

There’s less than an inch of metal between the lug hole and the edge of the face; besides that, if you think companies like Whistler wheels or “MOMO” that Canadian tire sells put thousands of hours into testing you’re mistaken, these are track-only wheels that are literally receiving go kart tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Feens View Post
      Great little mini.. ive had 2 of them over the years 1st was a chocolate Brown 1972 Austin Mini 850cc the 2nd was a Mini Cooper S 1300 British racing green with white stripes fender flares and 13' minilights fantastic car to handle altho the wide 13's ment i swaped out wheel bearings every 3/4 months, sold both of them 5 or 6 years ago, fun cars
      Aren’t they great? This will be about the 20th mini in my family, my Mum grew up with English parents and moved every two years between Australia, Indonesia, England, Holland, Canada, and the US. Every time they moved they picked up another. Huge sentiment in these cars for me!

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherMini View Post
        Aren’t they great? This will be about the 20th mini in my family, my Mum grew up with English parents and moved every two years between Australia, Indonesia, England, Holland, Canada, and the US. Every time they moved they picked up another. Huge sentiment in these cars for me!

Fun little cars, my buddy had 1 with a Honda Civic Type R engine fitted.. that was a scary car, fun but big balls required to drive the thing, im surprised how many are for sale here, easy to work on to, 10' rims are rare, om '72 was fitted with 10' steel wheels and after 74 they came with 12' wheel i believe..

Comment

Fun little cars, my buddy had 1 with a Honda Civic Type R engine fitted.. that was a scary car, fun but big balls required to drive the thing, im surprised how many are for sale here, easy to work on to, 10' rims are rare, om '72 was fitted with 10' steel wheels and after 74 they came with 12' wheel i believe..
          Surprisingly enough mine is a ‘96 SPI and it has 10s! It depends on the model and the use.

Comment

I’m surprised it was so much work to make a circle with some holes! But alas.

Comment

So after (finally) bringing the car down to Calgary from storage in Red Deer I decided to bring it into work to do some draw tests, and a little bit of work!

First things first: I’ve gotta get rid of these ridiculous 6” water damaged paper cone speakers. Out with the old, in with the 7” Kenwood XR-1800 drivers. These things sound maaaad good on deck power.

After the speakers were done I decided to do something totally unnecessary and throw in a spare Viper remote starter I had sitting in my toolbox, which was oddly satisfying.

All in all, it was about 3 hours work for a huge gain! Totally worth spending my day off doing.

Comment

Well, I forgot to post what I’ve been doing, so this might be a long one.

I finally got around to test fitting the wheels, and pricing out aluminum.

Overall I only need to widen the car about 2.5-3” to fit the new wheels. The clear everything up front, but I will need to figure out something for the rear because it just barely hits the trailing arm.

Super pleased with how they look, now to finalize the design and start on the real centres.

I took the dash out this afternoon to see what laid behind, and was not disappointed at the weirdness. Lots of wiring going nowhere, an unplugged catalytic control unit(?), another relay pack, and a bunch of other crap.

After I pulled the dash I realized how rough it was.

I decided I could enhance a few aspects of it and went into the shop.

I decided to go back in time a bit, moved the gauges into the middle, enlarged the glove box (that won’t even be able to hold gloves anymore), and redid the venting. This gives me a lot more room to work with in the long run.

Once again, the MDF is just a template to be used to create a lighter stronger version. More of a proof of concept, really. But with the gauges mounted I’m VERY happy with it’s coming along.

Comment

This was my 1980 Mini Cooper

Comment

That dash is hooootttt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
                    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
                    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
                    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

This was my 1980 Mini Cooper

Beauty! Do you still have it?

Comment

Originally posted by GingerBeef View Post
                        That dash is hooootttt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
                        Thanks boo [emoji8]

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherMini View Post
                          Beauty! Do you still have it?

Nooo Sold it about 8 years ago along with my chocolate brown 1972 850cc .. that car had a 1350cc bored out with a stage 2 kit on it.. just over 100bhp pure rocket handled like it was on rails, the only issues i had running the 13x 7 minilights was it ate wheel bearings every 4 or 5 months i was going to give it a huge overhaul but then i bought an e36 M3 and all my monies went into that

Comment

“Spring”, though, the snow didn’t stop me from driving it. Made the most of the warmer afternoon, went and made a new glove box for the new dash. This one will house the fuses and relays. Not so much the gloves and registration.

Also I got groceries. Who says these aren’t practical?

Comment

I did some more things [emoji276]

First things first, I found a leak (the only one other than the valve cover). Right around the shifter linkage into the transmission.

No big deal, $16 worth of parts and an hour later it’s fixed!

I also found some... things.

Big, four inch ****-off fibreglass flares to replace the 1” ABS shattered ones.

I’m pretty pleased with the condition, but they’re going to get strengthened, chips repaired, and painted gloss black.

A quick test fit confirms that these will DEFINITELY work!

Comment

Working...
                              X