The Mini... no, the OTHER Mini.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mini... no, the OTHER Mini.

Well here we go, first forum post; even though I've been in the Facebook group for like 5 years.

A few years ago my sister bought a JDM 1.3SPI Rover Mini from a bloke up in Edmonton. Long story short the car went undriven, untouched, and unloved due to a lack of time. I've sort of adopted the project and driven it quite a bit over the last two years when my "reliable new German car" was under the knife for repeating failures. I've permanently adopted him now as a replacement for said "reliable" car.

Wilber - as he shall be known - is clad in white racing stripes over British Racing Green with a "lovely" floral cloth interior. He has several clones within Calgary (namely Don and Jory). The body is in excellent shape with a small amount of clear coat peeling from the left(?) front fender.

The mechanical side of things is... interesting, to say the least. Short of a rough idle, shotty electrics, a bad battery post, a radio with no memory, vacuum leaks everywhere, a throttle cable that disconnects several times a week, and suspension so rough it should be named Kandy, the car is perfect.

10" wheels take some getting used to, but are a good laugh when people try to guess the size. I believe the stock size to be 10x4 on this year of mini. But these will be replaced very quickly (see immediate next post). The stock 1.5" flares will also need to be replaced in the near future.

--Taylor

Re: The Mini... no, the OTHER Mini.

So thanks to Jason (and the rest of the FSAE team at UofC "Schulich Racing") I've acquired some interesting wheels for little old Wilber. These will be a good base for the track based side of this two-faced project.

A good set of 10x7/8/9" 3-piece Keizer aluminum center-lock racing wheels. Some lips are bent/scratched and the backs of the faces are gouged from not clearing the calumets, but it's all repairable and I love these things to bits (y) . I'm trying to decide if I want to convert the car to center-lock or make some new faces for these wheels that are in 4x101.6. Any insight on this would be awesome 🤙🏽

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pics not working
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Centerlock would be cool but the one's I've seen are pretty expensive, and that bolt pattern... You might want to check with a mini racing team somewhere if they have a set you could buy off them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
          Pics not working
          Oh nooooo how do I forum [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
            Centerlock would be cool but the one's I've seen are pretty expensive, and that bolt pattern... You might want to check with a mini racing team somewhere if they have a set you could buy off them?
            That's a good idea! I'll give some a shout and see what's up!

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherMini View Post
              Oh nooooo how do I forum [emoji23][emoji23]

theyre working for me
              Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
              ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
              PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

They worked today...no idea why i couldn't see them yesterday.
                --
                Rod
                Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Weird!! I just posted them from my phone [emoji848]

Comment

I am excited to see how the wheels progress. I would love to own a classic Mini at some point, see a few nice ones around HK still too.
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                      I am excited to see how the wheels progress. I would love to own a classic Mini at some point, see a few nice ones around HK still too.
                      The Chinese equivalent has around twice the HP as the R.O.W cars! I actually want to find a mainland Asia head swap for the meantime before my "big" little swap!

Comment

Well it’s been a productive week on the wheels front. I’ve mocked up the blank for the wheel centres, as I’ve decided that’s the less expensive route; the other being converting the car to centre-lock.

Some good old 5/8” MDF and a good router made a really effective template, now to design the look I want, and build four in aluminum!
                        Does anyone have any recommendations for type of aluminum? 4041, etc.

Comment

I'm sorry, but if you're not sure what aluminum alloy to use, you probably shouldn't be designing your own wheel faces. Companies spend thousands of man hours designing and analyzing designs and then have to go through destructive testing before they can be deemed road worthy. This is a serious safety hazard...

Pat

His
                          1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                          1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                          1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                          2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                          Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                            I'm sorry, but if you're not sure what aluminum alloy to use, you probably shouldn't be designing your own wheel faces. Companies spend thousands of man hours designing and analyzing designs and then have to go through destructive testing before they can be deemed road worthy. This is a serious safety hazard...
                            There are lots of wheel companies out there making one off sets of wheels and I highly doubt they spend thousands of man hours and destructive testing.
                            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Great little mini.. ive had 2 of them over the years 1st was a chocolate Brown 1972 Austin Mini 850cc the 2nd was a Mini Cooper S 1300 British racing green with white stripes fender flares and 13' minilights fantastic car to handle altho the wide 13's ment i swaped out wheel bearings every 3/4 months, sold both of them 5 or 6 years ago, fun cars

Comment

Working...
                              X