Mid-40's Life Crisis Toy Canundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mid-40's Life Crisis Toy Canundrum

I've had almost the same thoughts (older car that I always wanted or had and cheapish or awesome toy that only gets summer driven).

I'm in no position as I have too many other toys/hobbies (dirt bikes, quads, rv, giant truck, etc) and the economy isn't good enough either but...

my personal opinion is I'll hate an old vw or something is I think I'll just feel too old and will get looked at strange haha. will also miss a newish interior. I think if you're going to buy a mid life crisis car it should be something that you wanted when you were younger but couldn't attain or put away in it's own storage. I've looked at (dreaming) Porsche (maybe even a cayman), S5, S7, Corvette (ugh).

Can someone quickly tell me the the years/numbers of 911's for the lazy (996/997/etc.)
    also is a boxter/cayman just a bad investment?
    Last edited by Tuna; 08-01-2017, 09:01 PM.
    Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
      Can someone quickly tell me the the years/numbers of 911's for the lazy (996/997/etc.)
      https://www.carthrottle.com/post/an-...che-911-range/
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Thought I’d update this thread. So the Touareg sold and I started looking for the cheap replacement that would allow for the fun car. In addition to, the company I work for was recently sold, which allowed for some extra funds to be allocated to whatever I chose.

So I test drove quite a few things for the daily replacement. Q5, Q3, older Cayenne. Looked at another wagon as well. Between the crap condition of second hand stuff and nothing exciting me I extended the search to newer stuff. Drove an SQ5, both generations, Q7, both generations, new Allroad, and Volvo XC60. The SQ’s and Allroad while fun to drive weren’t comfortable, the Q7s for the price were boring, and the Volvo was way too anemic for the price. The Volvo sales guy asked if I had driven a BMW. A BMW wasn’t even on my list of brands to look at. Frustrated, I popped over the BMW dealership next door to Volvo and sat in a 2015 X3 2.8. It was ok, but being a 2.8 wasn’t going to cut it. Next day as we were headed out for dinner I passed another BMW dealership closer to home as we had some time to kill. There in front they had a new 2017 carbon black on ivory X3 3.5 with the M package. Oooo Moma, she was fine looking! Took her out for a drive, and that pretty much sealed the deal. The sound of the 3.5 has just the right amount of drone and pop! While I’ve never been a huge fan of BMW, I’ve always had a respect for them. Anyways, a couple of days later she came home and I couldn’t be happier. Should I have waited for the new 2018 model, maybe. But the deal they gave me including the really low interest rate, I can live with it for a couple of years and see if I buy it out, or opt for a new model. They should have the bugs worked out of it by then.

So where does that leave the toy? Well, I used the money for good not evil. Less debt is always good. The 911/993 dream will be on hold for quite a while. The VW route might be what I choose, we’ll have to see what the springtime holds. Perhaps an E46 cabrio M3 should get added to the list. We’ll see how it goes. For now the X3m is keeping me grinning.

Comment

Congrats! post some pics

Comment

Looking forward to pics as well and also... seeing you put any future monies towards the dark side! Haha! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Rob
            Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
            Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
              Looking forward to pics as well and also... seeing you put any future monies towards the dark side! Haha! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Thanks Rob. If my X3 is this much fun, you weren’t kidding about your wife’s X5M, that thing must be incredible!

Comment

Mushroom_Curry (Neal)'s insanely clean, full restored ITB VR6 Mk2 Rabbit is up for sale again... food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
                Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
                ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
                PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by GingerBeef View Post
                  Mushroom_Curry (Neal)'s insanely clean, full restored ITB VR6 Mk2 Rabbit is up for sale again... food for thought.

Link?
                  Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                  -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                  -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                    Link?
                    On Dasdubbers classifieds on facebook

Pat

His
                    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by GingerBeef View Post

A lot of time went into that build. Nice, but not what I’ll be looking for.
                      Last edited by Bubbleboy; 11-29-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleboy View Post
                        Thanks Rob. If my X3 is this much fun, you weren’t kidding about your wife’s X5M, that thing must be incredible!
                        Glad you're enjoying the X3! The X5M is a riot. I highly recommend it for any SUV-hater that still thinks SUVs are slow.

Let me know if you're ever back in the neighbourhood with your new beast. I love my parents '11 X3 but I'm sure the '17 is years (literally) beyond it in terms of tech, function and performance.

PS... Fun fact: The x3 35i has a lower hp/lb ratio than the MK4 R32. No racing any X3's for me I guess...
                        Rob
                        Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                        Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                          Glad you're enjoying the X3! The X5M is a riot. I highly recommend it for any SUV-hater that still thinks SUVs are slow.

Let me know if you're ever back in the neighbourhood with your new beast. I love my parents '11 X3 but I'm sure the '17 is years (literally) beyond it in terms of tech, function and performance.

PS... Fun fact: The x3 35i has a lower hp/lb ratio than the MK4 R32. No racing any X3's for me I guess...
                          The X3 is back home in Ontario, so you’re R32’s self esteem is safe a while longer

Comment

Working...
                          X