Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-40's Life Crisis Toy Canundrum

Toy

Man, how time flies. Was recently reminded that I've been a member of this forum for 15 years. That's a long time to be drooling over members rides. I can't complain, both my wife and I have had our share of VWs and Audis during this time, most recently a 3L Q5 and Touareg TDI respectively. But I'm now thinking about a toy and as I do my research I get excited and discouraged at the same time.

It's a toss up of do I get a new daily to replace the Touareg, if this diesel thing ever gets sorted, with something like a Macan or SQ5, or do I get a beater, if I can call it that, like a 2011-12 Audi wagon, and a toy.

So here's the list of contenders.
    • GTI 16v
    • '93+ Corrado
    • Mk4 R32

So my thoughts about each...

GTI 16v - Had two of these I'm my youth. Should have kept one. The sound of a 16 valve just brings a smile to my face...and makes me think I could grow another mullet Finding one that's original, hasn't been modded should prove challenging, but not impossible. Expect a good specimen will run around $15k. The downside, been there done that

Corrado - had three of these. Again...the sound of the 12v VR6 is intoxicating. Was a fantastic car in the 90s, I would have to drive one again to see if the love is still there. I'm sure Piotto will chime in here....you put a few scratches on the roof and nobody lets you forget it

R32 - I had a 2008 R32, and while fun, I just never loved it. I always wanted the Mk4, but the second car has to be auto, hence the MkV. Like the Corrado, would have to see if the nether regions react favourably on a test drive to see if this is still a possibility

968 - I worked at Audio Concepts in the 90s and whenever a 944 or 968 would come in, I just drooled. Although the coupe is more sought after the hairdresser in me really wants a cabriolet. Out of the four thus far, this one tends to rank highest

911 - Ok, I'll admit it....this is where my heart lies. What I would do for a 964 or 993! The trouble being is these have appreciated so much over the last 5 years, a good specimen is almost six figures. I can't make myself like the 996 no matter how hard I try. Which would lead me towards a 997.

Would love to hear other stories about how you came to own you funmobile, and any possible suggestions.

Cheers,
    Adam

Re: Mid-40's Life Crisis Toy Canundrum

Every car on your wish list made me feel something. I'm willing to bet that the 16v would probably be he hardest to find!

Another contender might be a BMW M Coupe. Not for everyone but it ticks a lot of the performance off your Porsche list with RWD and power, has a nice wide body, and has not appreciated to that level (yet) I have a bit of a fever for those cars though so don't let me steer you in the wrong direction.

Good luck!
    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Well it seems to me it should be a P-Car, that is what you want and most of the others you have owned... You have to do the mid-life crisis right after all
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

997 hands-down! They're such good value for the money.

2005 C2's can be had for mid $30's and an '06 C4S can be had for ~$45ish.

Another car you might want to consider as I think they may be the next modern classic to see values explode over the next few years is a gen-1 or gen-2 (1996 - 2002) Dodge Viper GTS coupe - ideally in blue with white racing stripes if you can find one!
        2008 Audi RS4
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

The "Diesel thing" is pretty much sorted out. VWoA has gotten approval for the hardware modification which return all TDIs back to "roadworthy" status. That said VW has basically said they are dropping the development of TDIs so these are the last generation.

Other options :
          Lotus Elise?
          Ariel Atom?
          Porsche 981?
          Nissan 370Z?

Comment

I love my 964. I hate how theyve gone up in value. I didnt buy it as an investment, and now I have to worry about driving it around should anything ever happen to it it would be very hard to replace.

997 would be a good choice. I'd like a 997 as a daily. Maybe one day...

Pat

His
            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              997 hands-down! They're such good value for the money.

2005 C2's can be had for mid $30's and an '06 C4S can be had for ~$45ish.

Another car you might want to consider as I think they may be the next modern classic to see values explode over the next few years is a gen-1 or gen-2 (1996 - 2002) Dodge Viper GTS coupe - ideally in blue with white racing stripes if you can find one!
              Wow - I didn't know you could get these for that kind of money. Very pretty cars. I've never driven one but I can't imagine a 4S would disappoint.
              Last edited by jacktown; 07-31-2017, 03:58 PM.
              Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

As I am also in the hunt for a new fun mobile... I think the key is to be very honest with yourself on what you want or perhaps more importantly... what's your budget?

Personally, I'm still toying around with the Porsche idea myself but as others have noted, the used values for many of the desirable models (READ: GT4, GT3, RS's, etc.) are just silly. Like you, I can't bring myself to own a 996 either and my heart lies with a 964. My current thinking is its between a decent 964, a nice 997 or a new 991. The jury's still out on a final decision but in the end... the car has to make me "weak in the knees" when I see/drive it (and not just due to a heavy clutch... LOL).

My random "value for money" pic (Assuming you need an automatic under $30K...): A BMW 135i convertible. Tune it. And drive the snot out of it!
                Rob
                Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion guys. If I do go down the two car path, the second one would need to be low mileage with very few cosmetic flaws. I would rather spend the time looking rather than restore. Guess we'll see how things turn out before the snow flies.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                    the car has to make me "weak in the knees" when I see/drive it (and not just due to a heavy clutch...
                    That made me laugh haha

On the subject of 996's I agree that they are the ugly duckling in the Porsche lineage, but the C4S and the Turbos are the exception. Having owned a C4S in the past I can attest to how much fun it was and they still turn my head when I see one on the street.
                    2008 Audi RS4
                    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Good luck in your search, I love owing cars but people say I love shopping for cars more. Im trying to behave right now but I'm always on the look out.

Fd rx7, s2000, m3, and rs4 are my cars I regularly search.

Comment

Deuce, for a budget I figure around $50-60k for the toy if I go the two car route. Likely good for the 968 or 997 route, air cooled might be a challenge though.

Chris, a 996 turbo might....and that's a big might, be acceptable, but I'd have to do something about the front bumper cover. Something similar to this. But then it would bug me that it's not an OEM piece, even though it improves the look.

Danno, I would have to agree with you....the search is one of the best parts. AutoTRADER, Kijiji, the Tex, Rennlist, this site amoung others....

Comment

Just some inspiration for what you can do to a base 997 with a few bolt on mods. Definitely attainable within your budget.

Last edited by Chris; 08-01-2017, 08:15 PM.
                          2008 Audi RS4
                          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                            Good luck in your search, I love owing cars but people say I love shopping for cars more. Im trying to behave right now but I'm always on the look out.

Fd rx7, s2000, m3, and rs4 are my cars I regularly search.
                            Originally posted by Bubbleboy View Post
                            Deuce, for a budget I figure around $50-60k for the toy if I go the two car route. Likely good for the 968 or 997 route, air cooled might be a challenge though.

Chris, a 996 turbo might....and that's a big might, be acceptable, but I'd have to do something about the front bumper cover. Something similar to this. But then it would bug me that it's not an OEM piece, even though it improves the look.

Danno, I would have to agree with you....the search is one of the best parts. AutoTRADER, Kijiji, the Tex, Rennlist, this site amoung others....
                            I just discovered AutoTempest. Give that a try for your searches and let me know what you think.
                            Last edited by jacktown; 08-01-2017, 08:21 PM.
                            Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Just some inspiration for what you can do to a base 997 with a few bolt on mods. Definitely attainable within your budget.

Gooooood!

Originally posted by jacktown View Post
                              I just discovered AutoTempest. Give that a try for your searches and let me know what you think.
                              Had a look....it's ok. Thanks for the suggestion though

Comment

Working...
                              X