Confirmed! Electric VW Microbus Coming in 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed! Electric VW Microbus Coming in 2022

For years, Volkswagen has teased retro microbus concepts with no intent to put them into production. That changes today. VW just announced that it's actually, really, seriously going to put an all-electric microbus, the I.D. Buzz, into production in 2022. We know. We can't really believe it either.

We saw the I.D. Buzz in concept form (pictured above) earlier this year at the Detroit Auto Show, but we never expected it to go into production. Then media reports suggested that VW brand chief Herbert Diess was actually pushing to get the I.D. Buzz into production. Apparently, Diess got his way.

The I.D. Buzz will ride on Volkswagen's new modular electric-car platform (dubbed MEB), that made its debut at CES in January 2016. This platform, which is set to make its production-car debut in the I.D. hatchback in 2020, integrates its battery in the floorpan, just like a Tesla. The I.D. Buzz will also get optional all-wheel drive, with electric motors at the front and rear axles.

Volkswagen's original Type 1 Microbus debuted in 1950 and had just 30 horsepower. The new version derives its 369 horsepower from electric motors on each axle. According to Volkswagen, a fast-charge battery system will enable it to restore about 80% of its energy capacity in 30 minutes at 150 kW. “The I.D. Buzz stands for the new Volkswagen,” Diess said in the press release.

It's this clever packaging that allows the Buzz to exist at all. With all of its drivetrain components mounted low in the chassis, VW is free to make a vehicle with very short overhangs and an incredibly spacious interior, just like the original. And unlike the original, this one will meet modern crash safety standards—something VW couldn't do with a modern, internal-combustion powered Bus.

VW says the Buzz has the exterior dimensions of a compact cargo van on the outside while offering the interior space of a large SUV. And speaking of cargo, VW will make delivery van version of the I.D. Buzz.

When the I.D. Buzz reaches production, it should feature reconfigurable seating like the concept we saw earlier this year and it will offer Level 3 autonomous driving. That's not full autonomy as it requires the human behind the driver's seat to pay attention, but the I.D. Buzz will handling steering, braking, and acceleration on its own in certain scenarios.

Expect to see the I.D. Buzz in US dealers sometime in 2022, shortly after the I.D. hatchback hits the market.

https://youtu.be/H2O58X4NNbQ

Re: Confirmed! Electric VW Microbus Coming in 2022

This has been an on and off again item for so many years, hopefully it will finally happen this time. The EV platform is probably the perfect match for a microbus though, easier to work the chassis into the design and the green element plays to the hippie traditions.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Coming, but coming to Canada?
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

well it was the microbus and duke nukem for many years. They eventually made Duke nukem after 15 years of dev so who knows.
        Jay

Comment

Yes, all the Electric cars will be coming to North America, with the exception of the first and smallest, the ID.

Possible target dates for their corresponding markets:

Volkswagen I.D. - Released in the European market sometime around 2019
          Volkswagen I.D. Cross - Released in the European and Chinese markets sometime between 2019 and 2020 (expect to see this in NA sometime after)
          Volkswagen I.D. Lounge - Released in the Chinese and United States markets sometime around 2020
          Volkswagen I.D. AEROe- Released in the Chinese and United States markets sometime between 2020 and 2021
          Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ - Release between 2021 and 2022 (expect this to be a worldwide release)

Comment

I must admit, I have been looking at electric cars (I know that's a sin in AB) As someone I know has the Model S and my neighbor has a model X. It seems many are priced with the expectation that people will get the 14k rebate (such as BC/Ont/Que). I mean a leaf is a crappy little car with 175 km range and starts at $34k?! The egolf is $35k with 200km range?! I mean come on! the Chevy Bolt was equally as terrible spec wise but can't remember the specifics.

Meanwhile the Tesla (which for the longest time I felt was way over hyped) are building a car for similar price (ok lets say even 10k more) that is much bigger, much nicer, more luxurious, and has a 500km range!

I think some of these companies only have eletrics so that in California where they have to have a average fuel consumption across their model range they can bring that number down to sell giant SUV's.

Anyway my point being is will this I.D. even compete in a post Tesla model 3 world assuming it won't come out until 4 years after the Model 3 hits full production? For example trying to sell a 35K leaf or bolt when for 40-45 you can get a model 3.

Anyway, end rant.

Edit, looked up the Bolt, it actually has a 383km range which is actually decent but looks like it's based on their Korean based models (sonic) and starts at over $43k!! that will be in model 3 territory with some options.

Ok, end rant rant
            Last edited by Tuna; 09-12-2017, 04:26 PM.
            Jay

Comment

Speaking on behalf of VW at the Munich Automobil Forum, the company’s chief global strategist Thomas Sedran said VW intends to create an electric vehicle for the masses and undercut Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3. The car, called Volkswagen I.D., would be available in Germany in 2019 and, Sedran said, cost as little as $27,000. The sleek four-door all-electric vehicle I.D. would also beat Tesla’s Model 3 battery. While the Model 3, which rolls out later this month, goes about 215 miles on a full battery, VW says the I.D. will hit between 250 and 370 miles. (https://www.inverse.com/article/3424...-model-3-price)

In real world the first ID is coming out in 2019 so 1 year after the Tesla 3. Who knows how this will end up is anyone's guess. But VW has banked their future on these electric cars so I hope they will be good on these promises.

Comment

Volkswagen also announced they would have a fully electrified range by 2030, that means nearly every model in the VAG would have an EV trim level, so we are talking hundreds of EV options coming.

The Model 3 is indeed changing things, but Tesla still is never profitable, getting a $35K Model 3 is not actually possible (maybe next year) and people forget the influence of China in the EV game. They are working on deciding when to ban ICE sales already lots of options in that market and a Tesla is a rare sight. Things will continue to evolve very quickly in this area and I think the next few years will see a lot of new options to the markets, plus the public will get more infrastructure and education, range anxiety I am looking at you.

I like the look of this Honda concept myself.

Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Curious Blair, why do you think a 35k Tesla isn't possible? (US pricing). I realize that their first model is going to be 49 as it's the upgraded model with long range battery so is that what you mean? since there is a long waiting list?

While the Model 3, which rolls out later this month, goes about 215 miles on a full battery, VW says the I.D. will hit between 250 and 370 miles. (https://www.inverse.com/article/3424...-model-3-price)
                  The first one (which is admittedly more money) released will be 310 mile range.

Maybe it's worth having a separate ecar discussion. I'm kind of old school so it would be tough for me to buy a tesla as even though they have been around for quite a while now and seem to be somewhat stable it's still not profitable and i'm not sure their cars have the kind of R&D as a traditional car company and their buyer direct is different.

I have some gas guzzlers right now plus a TDI that is going back so I'm interested in all kinds of options. I still think that battery tech still needs to get way better before they become completely viable.

It's going to be really interesting how the ecar develops and I'm excited to see what happens.
                  Last edited by Tuna; 09-12-2017, 09:04 PM.
                  Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post

Anyway, end rant.

Edit, looked up the Bolt, it actually has a 383km range which is actually decent but looks like it's based on their Korean based models (sonic) and starts at over $43k!! that will be in model 3 territory with some options.

Ok, end rant rant

You appear to be the only person who comes from an enthusiast background who have investigated this stuff. Have you had a look at the used market for these things? Do km's matter? Is there a charge history/number to look for? The pricing for the range from the regular suspects seem pretty awful. I was unaware it was this drastic.

Comment

I had a hybrid Escape and have heard a lot about battery replacement fears, but so far it's not been an issue for most people. The batteries are charged and discharged in such a manner that they seem to outlast the cars. I beleive this is the same case as with fully electric cars.

The data clearly shows that for the first 50,000 miles (100,000 km), most Tesla battery packs will lose about 5% of their capacity, but after the 50,000-mile mark, the capacity levels off and it looks like it could be difficult to make a pack degrade by another 5%.

The trend line actually suggests that the average battery pack could go another 150,000 miles (200,000 miles total) before coming close to 90% capacity.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/tesla...y-degradation/

Right now used electric cars are relatively cheap compared to their new price. I don't think there is a big difference between a higher km electric car and a lower one. So I would buy one with under 100,000 km but also look for the cheapest as the article above says, battery degradation levels off over time.

Just looking: a 2015 nissan Leaf with 50,000 km is $15k-$18k from the dealership.

EDIT: on the classified I can find a 2014 for $10k-$12k with 50,000 km
                      Last edited by witchcraftz; 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonfire View Post
                        You appear to be the only person who comes from an enthusiast background who have investigated this stuff. Have you had a look at the used market for these things? Do km's matter? Is there a charge history/number to look for? The pricing for the range from the regular suspects seem pretty awful. I was unaware it was this drastic.
                        I haven't researched it too much, we just we need a new fuel efficient vehicle soon and the model 3 is the only vehicle that seems like I could drive without feeling like I've given up on life. most of the options are just so horrible looking and the specs are terrible. I think the electrics are hard to ignore and after researching the vast expanse of charging stations I think it would be a viable option.

I'm less concerned about range anxiety than I am winter performance. I wonder how an electric car does after sitting outside all day in very cold weather.
                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                        X