Audi S3 won't pass OPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S3 won't pass OPI

Well i failed a second OPI yesterday on the S3, and its one issue really that's preventing me from passing. My check engine light will not come on, whether i have a code or put the key to acc. I've pulled the cluster and it looks like it's never been removed before. I verified the CEL is a led soldered to the cluster circuit board, so unlikely its been removed. Checked to see if the light window was painted over etc and doesn't look like that either. Wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to things i can test/diagnose in relation to the CEL. I'm thinking maybe a wire from the ECU to the cluster? Is it possible to turn off the CEL function in VAGCOM?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a shop that may be able to figure this out if i cannot? (probably George?)
    Ryan
    Old & Sold:
    2002 Jetta 1.8T
    2001 A4 1.8T

Current:
    2000 Audi S3 Imola Yellow
    2015 Fusion 2.0L Turbo AWD

Re: Audi S3 won't pass OPI

So when you turn on the key, the light doesn't illuminate?
    That was the case with my rs4 cluster, which was down to someone prying the led up from the solder. I just pushed it back down firmly and it worked.

Failing that, perhaps a cheap A4 unit from Europe/Ebay to drop in (with corrected mileage) to get you through?
    They can't be any more than $100-130.

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
      So when you turn on the key, the light doesn't illuminate?
      That was the case with my rs4 cluster, which was down to someone prying the led up from the solder. I just pushed it back down firmly and it worked.

Failing that, perhaps a cheap A4 unit from Europe/Ebay to drop in (with corrected mileage) to get you through?
      They can't be any more than $100-130.
      Interesting, did you remove the needle on the cluster to gain access to the led? i was scared to take the needle off
      Ryan
      Old & Sold:
      2002 Jetta 1.8T
      2001 A4 1.8T

Current:

Comment

Maybe your car uses another light to indicate faults like in this thread?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...working/page2?

Or maybe the LED is dead. :(

Comment

Yes, I removed the needle.

I placed a napkin on the face of the speedometer (with the bezel removed obviously), and then slid a blunt bread knife between the face and the back of the needle.
          I then rotated the knife so as to pry the needle upwards from as close to the butt of the needle as possible. It comes up easy.

With that off, the face plate on the speedo turns and pops off, exposing the bulbs beneath. I bet there's tape over the back side of the speedo overlay.

Skip to 3.40 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI6DxQpTonA
          Last edited by e30mclow; 08-23-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Last year I imported a 2000 S4 Avant from Japan. From what I understand, Japanese cars did not fully adopt OBDII standards until 2002 and therefore did not require a check engine light. They came with an OBD II port and the ECU still stored codes but the CEL was not required. My S4 definitely did not have a CEL. It didn't even show up on the cluster and was not shown in the owner's manual. Did your S3 come with the owners manual? I was concerned about that too until I sorted it out.

This link confirms that OBD2 did not become standard in Japan until 2002. It doesn't say that you won't have a CEL but it might help explain why you don't have it.

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...software#japan
            Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
            2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
            2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
            2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
            2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
            2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

Originally posted by Blau_RS2 View Post
              Last year I imported a 2000 S4 Avant from Japan. From what I understand, Japanese cars did not fully adopt OBDII standards until 2002 and therefore did not require a check engine light. They came with an OBD II port and the ECU still stored codes but the CEL was not required. My S4 definitely did not have a CEL. It didn't even show up on the cluster and was not shown in the owner's manual. Did your S3 come with the owners manual? I was concerned about that too until I sorted it out.

This link confirms that OBD2 did not become standard in Japan until 2002. It doesn't say that you won't have a CEL but it might help explain why you don't have it.

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...software#japan
              So did you swap the ECU & Cluster to make it work?

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                So did you swap the ECU & Cluster to make it work?
                The whole thing with the 15 year rule is that the car you are importing does not need to meet the standards of a car built in Canada. Therefore if the car didn't have a CEL in Japan, it doesn't need one here. My Japanese S4 only had the 2 front O2 sensors and no secondary air system which all the Canadian S4's would have had but I wouldn't have been required to add those to make it the compliant.

It is only cars that are not 15 years old that have to meet those requirements. (other than a few safety things like DRL's).

Now if the light was there but wasn't working, that would be a different story. Ryan just needs to show that the light never existed and he should be fine.
                Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
                2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
                2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
                2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
                2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
                2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

Ryan,

I have replaced LED's in clusters before, let me know if that's something you want to try.

Have you tried giving the LED power to see if it lights up?
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                    Ryan,

I have replaced LED's in clusters before, let me know if that's something you want to try.

Have you tried giving the LED power to see if it lights up?
                    Haven't tried that yet, basically down to a oil leak i cannot seem to figure out (Maybe turbo oil return line) and the CEL issue. I was debating just bringing the car to you guys and seeing if you can figure the last couple things out. Do you guys do OPI's as well? might just get you guys to do everything at this point lol, getting sick of wrenching on my cars every day this summer haha. At this point i dont think its gunna make the Sept 10th show :(
                    Ryan
                    Old & Sold:
                    2002 Jetta 1.8T
                    2001 A4 1.8T

Current:

Comment

try another cluster? maybe mk4 clusters work? I don't see why they would remove a function (CEL) for a tiny market especially if the car is made in germany. i have a rosstech cable to check your cluster if you need help.
                      Current Fleet
                      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                      2001 Cobra #88/3786
                      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                        Haven't tried that yet, basically down to a oil leak i cannot seem to figure out (Maybe turbo oil return line) and the CEL issue. I was debating just bringing the car to you guys and seeing if you can figure the last couple things out. Do you guys do OPI's as well? might just get you guys to do everything at this point lol, getting sick of wrenching on my cars every day this summer haha. At this point i dont think its gunna make the Sept 10th show :(

We don't do OOPI's any more.

Everything else isn't a problem, can get it figured out one way or another.

Kyle and his Black S3 might be able to give some insight?
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I spoke with Kyle last week and his S3 doesn't have a check engine light either and he passed the OPI without any issues. Maybe get in touch with him as Colin suggested.
                          Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

Originally posted by VW337 View Post
                            I spoke with Kyle last week and his S3 doesn't have a check engine light either and he passed the OPI without any issues. Maybe get in touch with him as Colin suggested.

Yea unfortunately everyone i talk too "knows a guy" and seem to pass OPI's with no issues. At this point i might call AMVIC and see what they say, whatever mechanic does the 3rd OPI is going to be very cautious as they might audit my car at this point lol. I never realized your car had to be showroom condition just because its from another province, seems a little overboard when there are so many unsafe cars on the road. If i would have known i had to put this much work & money in just to register the car i probably wouldn't have bought it haha.
                            Ryan
                            Old & Sold:
                            2002 Jetta 1.8T
                            2001 A4 1.8T

Current:

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                              seems a little overboard when there are so many unsafe cars on the road.
                              This...
                              Such a pain. I had to have an interior light bulb replaced when I did mine. Yet I can drive down Deerfoot behind panel vans that are visibly tracking several degrees off of true, or the same damn Navigator I see every day with a 6 inch drop on only one front corner because there is no spring left...etc. It doesn't add up. I've seen DOT out safety checking private vehicles once in 20 years of driving.
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X