2018-19 Ferrari Portofino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-19 Ferrari Portofino

The modern-day California was originally introduced back in 2008 to act as the base Ferrari, before being replaced in 2014 by a turbocharged version suitably called California T. Fast forward to present day, and the Maranello squad has decided to drop the “California” label for the hardtop's newest iteration and replace it with Portofino, as a nod to a little city located in northwest Italy.

Looking considerably sharper than its predecessor, the new Portofino is more than just a thorough facelift of the old California T as it uses an all-new and significantly lighter chassis. Ferrari has not released details about the car’s exact weight, but it has to be lower than the 3,582 pounds (dry, 1,625 kilograms) of the model before it. Torsional rigidity has been boosted as a result of the new underpinnings.

The biturbo V8 engine has been massaged to deliver more oomph and it now packs an extra 40 horsepower, thus enabling the 3.9-litre unit to churn a nicely rounded figure of 600 horsepower at 7,500 rpm. Torque has slightly increased as well by four poiund-feet to 560 lb-ft from 3,000 rpm.

Thanks to more power wrapped in a lighter package, the Portofino hardtop is a 10th of a second quicker in the sprint from zero to 100 kilometres per hour, which now takes only three-and-a-half seconds. Take it to the max and it will top out at more than 320 km/h, or slightly higher than the 315-km/h California T.

Aside from getting a more appealing outer skin, new hardware, and a stronger engine, the newest Ferrari base model takes advantage of the company’s third-gen electronic rear differential as well as the electric power steering system. As a result of these upgrades, grip and control have both been improved, while the steering ratio has been reduced by seven percent.

Hopping inside, the Portofino uses Ferrari’s latest and greatest 10.2-inch touchscreen and a redesigned steering wheel. Other goodies on the menu include a newly developed more efficient air-conditioning system, a passenger display, and 18-way electrically adjustable seats with a modified backrest configuration to grant passengers sitting in the back with more legroom as it would be appropriate for a GT.

Ferrari will have the new Portofino on display next month at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Last edited by Canadian Turbo; 08-23-2017, 06:36 PM.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: 2018-19 Ferrari Portofino

Cool car, but looks squashed from the side-profile.

Last edited by Chris; 08-23-2017, 11:02 PM.
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

For some reason it looks Corvette-ish to me?

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
        For some reason it looks Corvette-ish to me?
        I thought the old one did as well
        sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
        His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
        Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
        Past:
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
        2004 .:R32 BMP
        2001.5 Noggy blue s4
        2000 VW GTI 1.8T
        1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

I think it looks way superior to the California, a mini version of the Superfast, which you guys also said looks like a Vette I believe.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
          X