Frenchy's Audi S5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frenchy's Audi S5

I've always wanted to put together a timeline of my whip so far, so here it is. This is my first so be gentle. Also, please note that it may take a while to get everything on here and hopefully by the time I finish, I have more modifications to update you on. Here goes nothin'
    Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-12-2017, 07:33 AM.

Re: Frenchy's Audi S5

Here is the car right after I bought it brand new in 2012. It's phantom black with pearl effect. I went with the MT for the classic reasons, and optioned for the sport diff, Nav, and the B&O sound. I skipped out on the rear view camera as I didn't think it was necessary on top of the sensors, and thought that in all likelihood the sports suspension wasn't necessary for me.

Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-12-2017, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Love S5's, looking forward to watching the progress!
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

First order of business was to tint the windows over factory and get a good rub a dub scrub.

*Note: I also had the full hood, front quarters, mirrors and bumper 3M'd at this time.
        Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Some more low hanging fruit... I can't remember exactly why I chose the AWE intake, and definitely got sucked in to getting the CF version. If memory serves me correctly, I read through quite a few forums before I found this one to be the one, but it was super easy to install with no fitment issues what-so-ever. Also, it came with lolly pops to eat while I put it together

Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-12-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hanging the hat for now, need to go find pictures for the exhaust replacement portion and want things to be in order (cuz I'm a nerd like that). But as a promise to you, I will give you a before and after clip for comparison. I read too many tired exhaust threads to count and remember just wanting a before and after to gauge something that can't really even be perceived through a video....so you get pics AND vids as soon as I find them...

Comment

You need to use an image hosting site to post your photos here.

Comment

New day, new post... well probably a few. Anyways, wanted to get this one down as I left you hanging. The next thing to do was to replace the exhaust. Not that I had an issue with the stock exhaust, I mean I drove for years with it, but as these things do, I wanted just a little bit more from it. Sticking with the AWE theme up to this point, I chose the AWE Touring exhaust with non-resonated downpipes and black chrome tips.
                For those that are wondering, yes, I did install this myself. I put the front on ramps and the rear on stands and did all the work on a creeper. Everything was super easy with the exception of pulling off the stock downpipes as the studs face upwards. AWE sold me what amounts to a 90o adapter to get the nuts removed from these studs for like $30 or something which was worth its weight in gold.
                Correct me if I am wrong but the difference in the track exhaust is the mid-muffler aka it doesn't come with one (but with a significant difference in the sound).
                I personally don't find this setup to drone at all, and in fact typically turn off the incredible B&O stereo to listen to the exhaust note while I drive. The only time, and I mean only time when I even entertain the track system is for a brief moment sitting in traffic stuck beside any number of Shelby iterations of a mustang (that's not a dig, they sound amazing, but also super loud). And then I realize this suits me more.
                Here are the two systems side by side. The stock one came off in one piece (except the downpipes). The only thing not showing is the non-res AWE downpipes, but they look exactly like the stock ones except no resonator.
                Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-12-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

For those interested here are the comparison clips for the exhaust update. The first clip is the stock exhaust and the second is the new AWE one. After having the new system for a while it has deepened in tone and become much throatier (if that's a word).

https://youtu.be/KWeZGOIhvFs

https://youtu.be/zQeILsVbggg

Comment

looking good man, welcome to the forum

Comment

Thanks Danaldson! I've still got quite a bit to post so stay tuned! Also, not sure, but I think I may have met you briefly last weekend at Cardel's show, is your TT on gold Roti's now?

Comment

I have always been a fan of the front end on the RS5, but just wasn't willing to pony up the additional dough for the upgrade from the S5. As a result, it comes as no surprise that I decided to swap the grille for an RS style one. I went with a Chinese knockoff because the OEM ones are injection molded plastic as well, so it was hard to justify the ~$800USD at the time for the OEM part and in all honesty the knockoff is pretty good, no fitment issues at all.
                          Grille

Before:

The swap was pretty easy... I mean you need to take the entire bumper off, but nothing anyone with the most basic mechanical aptitude can't accomplish themselves.

After:

Note: I can't remember exactly why I had that wood placed under there, I think I was attempting to repair some damage that a booby-trapped parking barrier left behind...aka it was short enough and angled appropriately that my bumper went over it, but did not want to come backwards over it.

Comment

Looks Good!

Comment

What's that plastic bit behind the mesh along the top? is that on the OEM RS Grille as well? It's a big eye sore for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X