Frenchy's Audi S5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frenchy's Audi S5

This next one should come as no surprise from the last update. I ordered these parts through LLtek (Montreal), who in turn brought it over from Germany. If I recall, it was about 6 weeks for these parts. Plus prep/paint/assembly. If anyone as ever used any of the Rieger stuff in the past they know that these parts don't exactly come ready to assemble. Also... Everything was in German including the instructions which was a real PITA to figure out.

Bumper came out pretty rough and had to be hand sanded down in specific corners, dry fit, re-sanded, another dry fit. This was a long and arduous process. If I had to do it again, I might get a body shop to do the whole thing.

Luftseiden skirts out of the box, pretty rough, but they cleaned up nice. Required rivets and automotive grade silicone to replace OEM side blade rockers.

I think the lower grilles were the only thing that was actually manufactured by Audi/VW in this kit.

Lower lip spoiler on top of underbody panel replacement. Nothing was included and all of these were sold separately.

Fog light delete resistors. I despise having CEL or any warnings on the dash, so to avoid the "fog light out" warning (yah, theres a warning for that!), you need the resistors. Admittedly it was a bit of a struggle to push through cutting perfectly good wiring plugs out of the car, but this would allow me to get rid of the non functional fog light paneling that mimicked a grille.

There was one thing included for free... these LED lights from china. I wasn't really sure that I wanted them, but I installed them behind the lower grilles anyways just for kicks

Had to rob the headlamp washer doors from the old bumper. They didn't look that great on the dry fit, but once the new bumper had paint on it, the fit was much better.

Old bumper headlamp washer door. I tried not to destroy everything taking the doors out. This was an exercise in patience and having steel fingers will help you out if you ever have to do something like this.

This is one of many holes I had to drill to get the grille to mount with the new bumper. It was not plug and play, The kit required cutting, drilling, riveting and gluing (automotive silicone) to be assembled. It was alot of work, but pretty fun too if you like tinkering.

Final assembly, now just to shave and fit on the car. Note: the hole for the tow hook on the new bumper is not reusable, it has been melted in place by Rieger. I plan to retrofit a clasp or pin on the back to make it reusable. One of a few things I have to do the next time I take the bumper off.

I had to dry fit the bumper about 43 times before I had it sanded and trimmed enough to get a good fit. There were many piece to trim, glue, rivet etc. I believe this was the final dry fit before going to paint.

The final result. I was super happy with the way things turned out despite the amount of fiddling around to get the kit together.

The bumper goes about 1" lower to the ground, and originally I hadn't considered replacing the side blade rockers, but I was worried that the different height would be noticeable before and after the front wheel.

And with the Chinese fog lights lit up...thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
      What's that plastic bit behind the mesh along the top? is that on the OEM RS Grille as well? It's a big eye sore for me.
      I believe it is on the OEM RS grille as well for the Pre-facelift models, the 2013 models don't have this, but the parts aren't interchangeable bc of the additional changes they made to the front fascia.

Comment

Looking good bud!
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy_Pop View Post
          I believe it is on the OEM RS grille as well for the Pre-facelift models, the 2013 models don't have this, but the parts aren't interchangeable bc of the additional changes they made to the front fascia.
          ah ic!

Bumper looks good! the canadian tire led's are a no from me though!

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
            ah ic!

Bumper looks good! the canadian tire led's are a no from me though!
            Among a few other projects for this car, they are getting removed this winter in conjunction with the tow hook cap modifications...

Comment

The next one was easy and cheesy, and likely not for everyone. There is are other reasons why I did this that will become more apparent later on.

New lights:

Installed:

Part of why I like them is that you can only see them really well in the dark, otherwise you barely notice which is something I wanted.

Comment

A very nice journey so far Frenchy!!!
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Another quick one to note... which was more to make my son laugh was this one. So to be clear, the sole reason that I got this plate was because we must have watched Talladega Nights like 50 some times and we always say it to each other and laugh... not too sure if a wonder bread wrap would be over the line...:P

Comment

So here's the last one for today, but it was a rather large one....
                    The only problem with getting the vanity plate, is that with the way the car performed, I was neither shaking, nor baking, and to be honest, I always thought that the V8 should have performed better than it did.
                    After months, maybe even a year or two (I can't remember when this started...maybe even from the very beginning) of research and reading forums, specs, dyno pulls, 1/4 mile videos, I settled on APR's stage 3+ kit using the TVS1740 supercharger design. Part of what I liked about the kit was that it came with absolutely everything required (*almost).
                    I touched base with the local dealer and kicked some tires...now maybe I was naïve, but FML, it sure seemed like work to get answers from the shop. Anyways, a few months passed before I was sure, and ready to pull the trigger.
                    I got in contact with the shop again, to find out that the kit had been discontinued. No more. Nadda.
                    Well... time to re-evaluate my entire life I guess. But now just to be sure, I touched base with APR directly. To my surprise they told me that no, in fact, that kit wasn't discontinued and why would the dealer have told me this. Well, you got me pal, I don't know either.
                    I phoned the shops parts desk and asked to be told that I could get the kit. Awesome. Next day, I rip over there during my lunch break with a cheque in hand to once again find out the kit was discontinued.
                    What in sweet baby Jesus is going on?
                    Well, to summarize: Yes that kit was discontinued, as APR didn't foresee the 4.2L being used in any future vehicles and this is why. They had one on the shelf that was for the pre 2008 motor, but was not compatible due to a fueling system redesign on the later models. They were able to dig up the appropriate parts and ship the kit up to Calgary. Now, this is what I was told, could be wrong, could have been a sales tactic, I'm not sure. I was going to buy the kit anyways so I don't know why they would feel the need to shyster the deal on me.

I had the shop install the system because they didn't charge me a ton to do the work, and this allowed me to keep the warranty on the kit, which....given the cost, seemed well worth the incremental.

There's honestly not a ton to see, some notable things were that the system came with fully integrated cooling system which requires little to no maintenance (difficult to see as the pump and cooler are installed below and there's really only a small reservoir installed just in front of the stock coolant one, not pictured). Also the kit came with a better MAF sensor as the increased flow is beyond the range of the stock one. Not included but required are the HP fuel pumps (x2) shown on either side of the S/C.

I also had the valves de-coked right when they took the stock intake manifold off as it was very little time add/cost to the job. I have a few pics of the level of build on the valves that I will post as soon as I find them.
                    Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-12-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Good thread just turned into a GREAT thread... keep the details coming...
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Car looks fantastic but please invest in some real jack stands!
                        Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

Originally posted by VW337 View Post
                          Car looks fantastic but please invest in some real jack stands!
                          Lol, so to be clear, I do own jack stands, and the car is on them in the picture above (you can see them in a previous post where I have the bumper off). I had a car fall off a jack when I was younger (fortunately no one was hurt), so if the car is going to be on stands for an extended period of time, I usually stick the wheels under like that as a backup for the backup. The car doesn't sit on them, but in a failure scenario, I'd rather ruin a pair of wheels than die.

Comment

For those that are interested, here are the pics of the carbon buildup on the valves. To me it doesn't look like a heck of a lot, but there is definitely something there. At this time, I likely only had around 35000 on them so maybe it was early to do the de-coke, but it was convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy_Pop View Post
                              Another quick one to note... which was more to make my son laugh was this one. So to be clear, the sole reason that I got this plate was because we must have watched Talladega Nights like 50 some times and we always say it to each other and laugh... not too sure if a wonder bread wrap would be over the line...:P

Do it! If you're not first you're last!!
                              --
                              Rod
                              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

So I fed my ride some speed and a few things needed to happen as a result, this one was the first. I tapped a hardline for both a dashcam and my detector. If you don't have a dashcam, this one was pretty neat to review footage on as it was developed with a viewer that lets you see where you are in map view at the same time. It has most of the goodies you would want and some you don't (depending on what you use it for) like GPS, timestamps, velocity, direction etc.

BTW, this was super easy in this car as you can access the headliner through the almost useless sunglasses cubby with one torx screw.
                                Last edited by Frenchy_Pop; 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X