e30mclow's latest e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: e30mclow's latest e30

Such an insane project, to me that level of work is mental!!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

My goodness.

Comment

Please keep the updates coming! I'd love to see more activity like this on the board because I'm sure some of our old members are still plugging away at projects (big and small) in their garage. This site is like the vinyl records equivalent of builds IMO.

Love everything about this build and the fact that you auto X it too.
        Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Thanks Boys - I've got updates for days!
          I gave all day Saturday on the car and got a decent amount done.

"M3'd" my cluster (red needles) and polished the plexiglass screen so that it is nice and clear

I addressed my non-functional reverse lights, since the Nissan trans wasn't enjoying the Wiring Specialties harness. I made a little jumper harness up and installed a new detent switch.

I finally wired up the launch control/2 step switch, then spliced the controller into the ECU

The controller is seen here, to the right side of the cubby area with 3 buttons and an LED.

I then wrapped the lever in neoprene from an old wetsuit lol

I'll clean it up a little more after a few weeks of use. I tested it out in the garage and it certainly builds boost and works, so I'm happy.
          With that, he interior is all back in and looking sweeeeeeeeeet

With that, I'm onto getting the outside presentable. I gave the car a full exterior detail as there was 6 months of dust on it.

I'll get "after" photos up once the sun is out.

I've also started the rear end refresh with some uber German 80s funk.
          Love it or hate it, it is an incredibly rare SedanKing Heckblende

BNIB since 1989

I'm 99% finished making a license plate relocation with integrated lighting, but it is certainly different (I also straightened the bumper, which was crooked in the above photo).

With all that, I'm only waiting on tires for the RSs, but will soldier on using my PEASANT spec 16" style 5s.
          Last edited by e30mclow; 03-29-2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Ok freaking love the heckblende. Looks so different to anything I’ve seen in a long time. You forgot to roll back the tiny little numbers on the Speedo though!

Now tell me more about the Pajero Evo lurking conspicuously to the side of the E30.
            Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Good eye

I bought that in October 2019 and it served as a daily driver for over a year, until I bought the cheap 7 series to relieve it of the salt. It is such a nice example that I'd hate for the salt to eat away at it.

Comment

Yummy

Comment

Car is looking great buddy!
                  Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Nothing to say besides I'm loving this thing

I cleaned up the track wheels on the weekend. I used paint stripper on the lips then spun them on the car in 3rd gear while going to own with sand paper and polish.

Once the sticky 215/45r16s come in they'll look great

Comment

Rolling with the crew

I'm also trying out some mega 245/40r17 on the back to see if it'll hook

Comment

I haven't been on here in ages as I have relocated three times since being semi-active in the Eurodrivers breakfast scene.
                        These days I live in Newfoundland, which I never imagined happening.

Firstly, yummy

I'll start another thread for some other e30 goodness, but in the meantime, the 1J managed to eat the read end of the car last year so I needed to do some crude structural enhancements.
                        While at that, I also changed the gearing for the much coveted 200mph potential (that I'd never attempt, and it would never achieve)

OE Diff mount following some rippage

The cure:

I built a "Drop In" cradle to assume diff support and ARB mount duties. I also upgraded to an e36 twin mount setup.

New shafts and I spacers to compensate for the loss of stroke on the splines given my tendency to run the car relatively low.

3rd gear 200tw tire testing - All good!

I changed up my spring rates also, which made a HUGE improvement

I also snagged some perfect spec BBS RXs in 16x8 et20 for $400. Noiceeeee.

I bought a stash of 200TW drift tires for Auto-X use, which have proven to be far far better than $$$$ alternatives. I'm sadly down to the last set :(

I've also been squeezing 225/45r16s in all four corners, which is so meaty.

Then, all of a sudden, it was time to move again. This time it was from Ottawa to St. John's NL.
                        Hint as to what the new thread will be on the trailer.

The choice was fitting the furniture or the car, so the furniture went on Kijiji.
                        Spot the white car lol

Straight out of the truck and to auto-X!

I helped mark the course with some bold black lines. In doing so, I hit a cone and made a batman face

It was then going swimmingly but my differential proved itself to be the next weak point.

I replaced everything from seals to bearings, while also adding Porsche friction plates and raising the lock from 25% to 40%.

With my new mega gearing, I need to redo my cluster. While at it, I changed the tach to 9K RPM

Following appropriate bedding in of the clutch plates in the diff, it was time to really test thing.
                        A 37year old man clutch kicking a 32 year old car in 4th gear at 6K RPM is never going to go perfectly.
                        As the stresses make their way forward from the beefed up rear end, things are getting stressed lol

So, the twisted splines simply mean no more of that business for now.
                        The car is actually my 100% daily for the last 6months and beside what may seem like large issues, it has been perfect. I make the issues, then enjoy fixing them.

Comment

Working...
                        X