Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e30mclow's latest e30

I've gone mad.

Going to look at a Single Turbo'd Toyota 1JZ with 6-Speed box this weekend.
    I mean, how could that possibly be a bad decision!?

Hopefully it works out, as 400-450hp hitting the ground through 16" wheels seems perfectly acceptable.

Comment

This thread is about to take an M. Knight Shyamalan style plot twist.

Keep it up!
      Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Looks great!

1JZ could be fun.

Let me know how you are going to sneak that one past the wife.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

You are gone mad, 1JZ e30.. could be fun

Comment

1jz in an e30 would be alot of fun...

there are some cheap 2jz's around too

i had a buddy with an 2jz e30, and he said it was terrifyingly fun to drive!
            ~~TODD~~
            '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

I planted the seeds with the boss last week. She lives in Ottawa and I live here in NC, so we do a lot of flying. Having picked her up late at night in the e30 (she was less than enthused), we began the 2hr drive home.

You'd be surprised how a few stabs of the throttle in 5th makes it seem like the engine is pooched.
              "She'll need a new engine, honey!"

There's no getting around this one as the front will be getting cut off the car to get a JZ in. She knows the score, she's just letting me think I'm getting away with it.

The running gear is currently in a running/driving Lexus SC300.
              Having priced out all of the parts needed + the misc pieces you always don't plan on getting (gauges, piggy back ecu, uprated fuel system etc), it makes more sense to buy a running car and take it apart.

I've been back and forth with the guy, and he is willing to do a deal whereby he keeps his fancy suspension, Cusco diff and wide wheels, and I somehow get the shell with running engine & transmission in situ. He'll make more that way anyway.

Fingers crossed! If it works out, I'll need suggestions regarding very small diameter, very shallow brake servos. This seems to be the biggest headache for people who have JZ swapped e30s previously.
              Last edited by e30mclow; 02-22-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                I planted the seeds with the boss last week. She lives in Ottawa and I live here in NC, so we do a lot of flying. Having picked her up late at night in the e30 (she was less than enthused), we began the 2hr drive home.

You'd be surprised how a few stabs of the throttle in 5th makes it seem like the engine is pooched.
                "She'll need a new engine, honey!"

There's no getting around this one as the front will be getting cut off the car to get a JZ in. She knows the score, she's just letting me think I'm getting away with it.

The running gear is currently in a running/driving Lexus SC300.
                Having priced out all of the parts needed + the misc pieces you always don't plan on getting (gauges, piggy back ecu, uprated fuel system etc), it makes more sense to buy a running car and take it apart.

I've been back and forth with the guy, and he is willing to do a deal whereby he keeps his fancy suspension, Cusco diff and wide wheels, and I somehow get the shell with running engine & transmission in situ. He'll make more that way anyway.

Fingers crossed! If it works out, I'll need suggestions regarding very small diameter, very shallow brake servos. This seems to be the biggest headache for people who have JZ swapped e30s previously.
                Will A Renault Clio Dual Diaphragm Servo and 25mm Audi Master cylinder not work with this swap? thats what i used with the S50 Swap it was alot smaller than servos guys in the UK used with the same swap

Comment

@ Feens - it would sertainly help, but would still need to be shifter over 2-3”.

Went to look at the potential donor yesterday. Black lines in 3rd, which was the first time I’ve been scared by a car in a long time. He was way off with his estimated horsepower, that thing was ape lol.

After discussing terms and money, I’ve asked that I take until Wednesday to give him an answer. It is just too much power for the brakes I’d be able to reasonably fit....ah, I sound like a puss puss.
                  Chances are I’ll take it lol.

Spent today wet sanding the paint back and cutting/polishing (seems as the body resto budget is likely gone).
                  Car looks so much better.

Hmmmm. Is blowing money on monster hp a good idea :(

Last edited by e30mclow; 02-25-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm. Is blowing money in monster hp a good idea :(

Is there even a question here? lol

Car looks really good btw!
                    Last edited by syncrovan; 02-25-2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

The plan is to spend no more than $5.5k including the initial purchase price of $1,500.
                      You're a funny guy!

The 1JZ plan is officially under way. Financial ruin to follow.
                      Last edited by e30mclow; 02-27-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

You're a funny guy!

The 1JZ plan is officially under way. Financial ruin to follow.

Lol. Win
                        TJ
                        '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                        '01 Silver S4

Comment

My 1 blacklined in 3rd with ease.. i ran Stock brakes on it too... but it did need a better setup.. the guy that bought if from me has a ton of money into it to make it a track beast now..

so dont be a puss slap the 1jz in and have some fun

Comment

Signed up for my first ever Auto-X event, which will take place March 18th.
                            I'm very excited to get the car into some bends and do what an e30 does best.

It is a 2hr drive from my place, so hopefully it doesn't blow up!

Photo of the donor:

Unsure as to when I'll actually start pulling motors. Thinking mid May.
                            Last edited by e30mclow; 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

its going to be nuts

Comment

After 2hrs in the pi55ing rain I managed to get the car loaded up solo in Virginia Beach last night. It was an Egyptian effort, with planks of wood and lots of swearing.
                                Got home at 11pm soaked to the bone.

Glad to have it home, but now scratching my head as to how I get it off the trailer.

Meanwhile my landlord called last night about coming to check on something in the basement this morning.
                                The place is a mess with car parts EVERYWHERE, the BMW is parked at the bottom of the garden, the Audi is in pieces and now there is a wreck of a Lexus on a trailer. He'll be none too pleased.

Comment

Working...
                                X