My URS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My URS4

Thought I should start a thread to share, and track progress.

1993 URS4, bought in may of 2016.

At that time, it had a broken water pump, a bad MAF and a bad internal map sensor in the ecu. I fixed that stuff, and enjoyed driving it for a while, installed a Kenwood head unit integrated to the stock Bose amps. Made several different exhaust systems, didn't like any of them.

Started collecting parts to make it a wee bit quicker. Got an Aeromotive 340lph pump, RS2 replica manifold, Bosch "green giant" 440cc injectors (flow 480cc@ 4 bar which I'm running) a Volvo S60R K24 7400 turbo and a billet wheel for it. Also scored an early Stromung stainless downpipe, and modded it with a flex coupler and a V-band flange to make it easier to work with and less prone to cracking. Got a very large e-bay intercooler from a kid on kijiji for almost nothing.

Once I had this stuff together, I stalled for a while trying to figure out how to tune the Motronic 2.3.2 .
    Not many people had the info for tuning it, and those that do absolutely will not share it as they make money by selling tunes.
    I'm not the kind of guy who is willing to shell out $800 at a time getting files for my ECU that need to be retuned by some guy in Germany or the 'States every time I change something on my engine.

So I got a VEMS plug-and-play standalone!

Now that I had all the ingredients, I went ahead and put it all together. Fabbed up intercooler plumbing, flow tested the injectors, made a breather tank, installed fuel pump. It started up on the first crank with the VEMS after setting the injector constant. I was able to get a fairly close base map for an RS2, which has just a slightly lower flowing turbo than mine and smaller injectors. Tweaked the fuel map quite a bit to get it running strong around 0.85 lambda under boost. RS2 ignition map works well enough, but I really need to get it on a dyno and get a real tuner to set up the ignition advance map to get every last drop out of it. The closed loop boost control really threw me for a loop until I got the PID dialed in. Now it peaks at 2 bar of boost and holds 1.7 to the rev limiter which is set to 7700rpm.

Next up is 6 speed swap (have an 01E from a B5S4) dyno tuning, brakes and suspension. Need to sell my Jetta before I have space and money for that. Anyone need a jetta?
    Last edited by Neacail; 12-05-2017, 11:32 PM.

Re: My URS4

Oops!

Can a moderator move this to Member Rides?

Comment

Working...
    X