Sunshine Village - Back Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunshine Village - Back Door

I have some friends coming from the US next month to ski for a week in January. They want to the "Back Door" at SSV. Honestly it has been a long time since I have done it myself. Does anyone have a KML (GPS) file of the "Back Door" that I can map out for them?
    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Re: Sunshine Village - Back Door

look, I don't want to be that guy, and I have my flame suit on already, but...

back door shouldn't be taken lightly. it isn't patrolled, it isn't avi controlled, and there are real risks out there. wawa ridge has been known to funnel into that area, and if something slides it gets bad fast. if they want to go, have someone who knows the area well, and can assess their ability level beforehand. further, make sure they have beacons, shovels, probes, and adequate knowledge.

all that said...

take wawa chair and get off to the right. stay hard skiers left until you get to the very obvious gate, about 1500ft downhill. unclip and start hiking. hike 5 minutes to the plateau, and look for tracks to the left. follow tracks until they end, and resume hiking. the trail is packed well, you cant miss it. hike to the top, and you made it. all routes down lead to the funnel, its the only way out. then follow the star wars trail till you find the groomers.

Comment

With the weather and precipitation we've had so far this season....I'd stay inbounds...and I'm the guy that always heads out of bounds. Out here in the mountains we've had a lot of rain, snow and warm temps creating a very instable snowpack. And it also looks like some more snow on the way. January may be far enough off that things may stabilize but check the conditions before you head out...and good luck.
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Make sure everyone has one of these going off bounds.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-8...Locator-Beacon

Comment

If Geo says it, listen. Far to many times I've listened to the forecasters. They are always way off.

Geo knows.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I'll pile on. If you haven't spent the classroom hours + the basic single day in the b/c, getting your AST 1, stay the f*ck inbounds.
            Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
              I'll pile on. If you haven't spent the classroom hours + the basic single day in the b/c, getting your AST 1, stay the f*ck inbounds.
              ditto

as a guy who has rescued 2 people (both very well trained) buried in avalanches you are best to stay in bounds. Don't go unless you know.
              sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
              His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
              Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
              Past:
              B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
              B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
              2004 .:R32 BMP
              2001.5 Noggy blue s4
              2000 VW GTI 1.8T
              1997 VW Jetta VR6