Wagons are on their way back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagons are on their way back!

Believe it or not, the return of the wagon may be already upon us, as there are more offerings than ever for those who want the drivability of a car with the space of an SUV, and without sacrificing all-important factors like all-wheel-drive and safety performance.

The classics remain such as the Allroad and the Outback but there are some newcomers to ring and they bring options to all classes.

These aren't your grandfather's wagons either, the styling is sharp especially on the V90, the options you'd find on the high end cars are available and they are often more luxurious than their SUV counterparts.

Wagons have better handling than crossovers because of their lower ride height. They offer generous cargo capacity and spacious rear seats, along with good fuel economy and a range of features

You know wagons are making a comeback when even Buick has started to make a (very decent looking) one again!

Some Wagons that are hot right now:

Audi A4 Allroad

BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon

Volkswagen Golf SportWagen and Golf Alltrack

Volvo V60/V90 and V60/V90 Cross Country

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon

Subaru Outback

Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo

Jaguar XF Sportbrake

Mini Cooper Clubman

Buick Regal Tour X
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-14-2017, 11:22 AM.

Re: Wagons are on their way back!

That jag is still hot as F
    2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
    2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
    2001 Audi A4 - RIP
    2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
    2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
    2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
    1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
    2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Yep. Jag please.

Pat

His
      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

My kind of thread! I'm a wagon fiend.

Dang. Haven't seen the Jag before. Looks fantastic.

The current 328d is just so damn nice... and reasonably priced too.

Let's not forget C5 RS6 Avant is legal here next year. Something to consider for those of you who don't mind "routine maintenance."

After driving a tuned E63 S this year I decided I need that in my life at some point.
        Last edited by JVD; 12-14-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I hope Audi sees this as a reason to bring a few more options here than just the allroad. If not that Jaguar looks hot!
          Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
          2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
          2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
          2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
          2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
          2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

Audi, please bring the RS6 to Canada!
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

I kind of feel the opposite is true. Now that I'm at the point where I want/need/can afford a more luxury wagon there are very few options. In the last 5-10 years we've lost, bmw 5 series wagon, Passat wagon (always one of my favorites), Audi you only get the allroad (never really been a fan of "jacked up with plastic skirts" version of the wagons). No S4 option, no M options. Even the A3 which was barely a wagon only comes in a sedan now.

I think companies have moved to the wierd coupe things (sport backs?) over full on wagons.

I gave my diesel wagon back and haven't bought it's replacement as I really can't find something like it that is as practical but yet more power and performance than what the diesel gave me. AWD would be nice too. It's my first time in probably 15 years I haven't had a European car. for now my Japanese performance SUV is keeping me occupied.

Edit: love that jag (and I really like the F-Pace too) but a great example of how Canada gets screwed, offered in US, not in Canada. Probably because our non harmonized bumper laws.
              Last edited by Tuna; 12-14-2017, 07:32 PM.
              Jay

Comment

I gotta say the new Volvo wagons are seriously good looking cars on the road.

Im pretty disappointed with the new Audi all road, i think its too SUV-ish looking... it needs more of a downward sloping roof i think. And like others mentioned, its disappointing to see the a3/s3/rs3 offered only in sedan. The electric hatch is nice, but why not offer it across the board?

Hoping wagons make a comeback! trying to convince my father to get the new Panamera sport truismo

Comment

The Volvo and the Panamera are super hot! Dream wagon is still the RS6 though.
                  --
                  Rod
                  Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                  2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

You can still get the A3 in the wagon format, you just have to choose the eTron (hybrid) engine.

Comment

Yooooooo, there’s no real reason for the Mk7.5 wagon to be in the states since the drivetrain hasn’t changed and was already spotted testing in Arizona back in 2014. So maybe the mk7r sales convinced Vw to bring in the wagon r?
                      Current Fleet
                      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                      2001 Cobra #88/3786
                      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

For me it is all about the RS6, still the perfect car IMO. Plenty of room for friends, family, cargo and can hang with some good cars and looks amazing and subtle at the same time. Luckily I get to see them fairly often as it is doubtful I will ever have one.

North America is still not really a wagon place, I think those 70s cruisers have just ruined it for too many and the SUV/CUV is king despite often not being any more practical. In Asia vans and wagons are still quite popular over the SUV which is a nice change.
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                        X