Comment

Re: Sacré Bleu! Merkur XR4Ti Project

Nice work! Still following.
      FB

S2/RS6
      http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2961

Comment

Holy crap. So that took almost two whole days to figure out but I finally have the car running properly! I did a compression test, it was good in all four cylinders. I also rechecked both the distributor timing and the engine timing atleast four times and all seemed okay. It was really frustrating to find that everything seemed okay but something clearly wasnt. So I took a step back and started from the basics once again. I dripped some water on each exhaust manifold runner one by one... and I discovered that cyl 1 and 3 were firing, but cyl 2 and 4 were completely dead. After confirming that I had spark from all four plugs that left one culprit. Fuel injectors. I didnt want to rip everything apart so I started off simple, checking the wiring with a multimeter. Bingo. Injectors 2 and 4 were getting no power, while injectors 1 and 3 got the full 12.5 volts!

With the help of the factory wiring diagrams and my electrical engineer room mate. We remade the entire fuel injector harness from scratch. Finally the car ran on all four cylinders! I LOVE the sound of that huge turbo spooling, its absolutely intoxicating while driving.

With the car actually running properly now, I could focus on finishing up my interior. Mounted the ECU properly, tucked all the wiring, and installed my lower dash and passenger seat. I love the 80s. I think the coolest thing about this interior is this little screen that shows which doors are ajar, which lights are on/working properly and if there are icy conditions.

Went for a little drive, and snapped some pics quickly. Unfortunately the car isnt boosting properly. Im 99% sure that ugly WGA bracket I fabricated earlier is too flimsy and the exhaust pressure is flexing it, causing the wastegate flapper to leak. But even with 100ish HP and no boost this car is a blast to drive. I can see why its got such a strong fanbase.

Im happy to finally confidently say: see you guys at Driven in a few days Tomorrow ill throw the headlights and the other hood vent on. And then do a bit of detailing. This project isnt over yet though. I cant wait to continue working on this car throughout the summer and clean things up more. Its a bit bitter sweet though as this is my first summer ever without a VW.
        Last edited by GingerBeef; 05-20-2018, 11:02 PM.
        Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
        ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
        PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by GingerBeef View Post

Congrats, car looks good!

Comment

Glad to see it getting there, great work on this and keeping it alive!!!
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Those seats are pretty sweet! Congrats on getting this up and running so quickly!

Comment

Thanks everyone! All those days working on the driveway in the winter have been worth it :P
                Small update. Getting ready for Driven on friday! So stoked for the show. So the badge thats been on this car since before I was born was faded to all hell, so I refinished it with some vinyl.

Then I threw on the other hood vent, and the headlights! The wiring was a nightmare.. it took Taylor and I the better part of an afternoon to rewire the lights to work properly.

Tomorrow im getting some PDR done, giving it a quick polish, and ill see you guys at the oval!
                Last edited by GingerBeef; 05-23-2018, 07:21 PM.
                Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Car looks great! Nice work with the vinyl, did you stick it on and cut it by hand or did you get is printed by a shop?

Comment

Great job McWang! Car will look awesome this weekend at Driven!
                    --
                    Rod
                    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Thanks Rod! Cant wait
                      Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                      Car looks great! Nice work with the vinyl, did you stick it on and cut it by hand or did you get is printed by a shop?
                      I laid it on and cut it by hand, thats why the edges are a little rough. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
                      Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

double posted by accident. ignore this.
                        Last edited by GingerBeef; 10-10-2018, 10:17 AM.
                        Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Working...
                        X