Jaguar I-Pace SUV - Jaguar Just Introduced Its Answer to Tesla’s Model X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaguar I-Pace SUV - Jaguar Just Introduced Its Answer to Tesla’s Model X

On Thursday, Jaguar officially unveiled the I-Pace, an all-electric luxury crossover that goes up against the Tesla Model X sport utility vehicle and could lure other buyers who might otherwise be considering a Model S high-end sedan or the somewhat lower-priced Model 3.

"The I-Pace is the first real legitimate Tesla fighter," said Jessica Caldwell, automotive analyst at Edmunds. "The small crossover segment couldn't be hotter, and a stylish EV from a storied luxury marque like Jaguar is very likely to turn some Tesla shoppers' heads."

What’s radical about the I-Pace is that it’s a pure-electric vehicle based on a new platform. Furthermore, it’s one of the first electrics to take full advantage of an electric car’s packaging to rethink vehicle proportions. For example, the Tesla Model S and Model X are all electric, but their hoods are conventionally long—as if they had to accommodate an internal-combustion engine.

"The car is important because it represents a larger trend" in the emerging luxury EV segment, said Brian Moody of Autotrader. "As larger automakers with broader customer bases and much larger distribution channels see the relative popularity of cars like the Model S, they naturally want to capture some of that audience — though likely on a larger scale."

Jaguar first introduced the I-Pace as a concept car at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show. The car unveiled Thursday, in a highly polished production webcast available on Facebook, YouTube and elsewhere, doesn't look much different from the concept.

Documentary portion starts at 42:38

The I-Pace, like the Tesla Model S and Model 3, has been called sleek, sexy and powerful, although it bears almost no resemblance to the long, low Jaguars of the past. Equipped with two Jaguar-designed electric motors, one for each axle, and a 90 Kwh battery, The car produces 400PS and 700Nm of torque. The I-Pace blasts from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, according to the car's official spec sheet. The stated range is 240 miles (about 400 kilometers) on a single charge, the I-PACE will be capable of rapid charging from zero to 80 per cent in 85 minutes and has been tested across extremes of terrain and temperatures from -40°C to 40°C.

The I-PACE will also work with Amazon's Alexa voice platform. You won't be able to summon the SUV with your voice, but you will be able to ask if the doors are locked or if you have enough charge to get home from work. I-PACE also uses AI to tailor the driving experience to your personal style. And, like a Tesla, the I-PACE will constantly update itself over the air.

The I-Pace goes on sale in Europe in July at a base price of about $87,000 before government incentives, though sources say the U.S. price will be lower, around $75,000. Jaguar dealers in the U.S. are currently taking orders and will begin receiving vehicles in the second half of the year, the company said. For context, the base Tesla Model X is priced at $85,000 and the top of the line at $132,000.

Last edited by witchcraftz; 03-02-2018, 12:28 PM.

Re: Jaguar I-Pace SUV - Jaguar Just Introduced Its Answer to Tesla’s Model X

I would hardly call that an SUV. F-pace looks much better. Looks way too similar to the Model X
    Last edited by onceover; 03-02-2018, 02:21 PM.

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Re: Jaguar I-Pace SUV - Jaguar Just Introduced Its Answer to Tesla’s Model X

I agree not so much an SUV (although that makes it better in my books) more of a slightly lifted hatchback but nice to see something different in this EV segment. I see so many Teslas in HK they really don't look so exciting any more and I hope I will get to see some of these before the inevitable flood of Model 3s takes over.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
      X