Porsche Unveils MissionE based CUV Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Unveils MissionE based CUV Concept

Since 2015, we've been awaiting the arrival of the Mission E, Porsche's take on a powerhouse electric sedan. This week at the Geneva Motor Show, the automaker unveiled a new twist on its electric future plans: a crossover version called the Mission E Cross Turismo.

Porsche claims that the car will have 600 horsepower, do 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds, go more than 500km/310 miles on a charge, and charge at a rate of 400km/250 miles in 15 minutes. Like many European announcements, though, these range numbers are based on the NEDC rating system, which is significantly more lenient than EPA numbers – the range would probably be something closer to 240-260 miles by EPA testing.

Porsche claims the CUV will do “multiple accelerations in direct succession without loss of performance,” which they claim to be “unmatched by any other electric vehicle.” We will leave it as an exercise to the reader to decide who Porsche is talking about with that statement.

The car also has all-wheel steering and Porsche’s electrohydraulic Dynamic Chassis Control anti-roll system to actively stabilize the car when cornering or on uneven surfaces.

As for size, the Mission E Cross Turismo is 4.95 meters/194 inches in length, which is longer than a Porsche Cayenne or Mercedes GLC/GLE but 4 inches shorter than a Model X, which puts it on the large side of the CUV category in terms of length.

That said, it is notably quite a lot shorter in height than all of these cars – most of them are in the mid-60s to 70 inches tall, and the Mission E CUV is a mere 56 inches tall. This actually puts it at around the same height as a Model 3, or even as a Porsche Panamera – and from the front view, the casual observer would be forgiven for mistaking it as the latter.

Porsche bills the CUV as a multi-purpose vehicle, with good ground clearance (which can be increased by up to 50mm/2 inches via adaptive air suspension) for possible off-roading and flexible cargo capacity for sports equipment like surfboards or e-bikes.

The seats fold down for loading long equipment, but the cargo deck seems fairly high from the press photos Porsche provided (shown below) – so skis and surfboards are a go, but between the high cargo deck and low roof, it might be tough to load anything tall (tall potted plants, or the like) into the available space. Porsche does provide a rail system and adjustable and removable straps in the rear cargo area to help secure items.

With the I-Pace, Model X and now the Mission E Cross Turismo, the electric-SUV-that-goes-really-fast market is getting crowded. That's great for people that like to go fast but also need enough room to transport all their kids' sports equipment.

Last edited by witchcraftz; 03-06-2018, 04:06 PM.

Re: Porsche Unveils MissionE based CUV Concept

Damn!! That's not bad. I like what Porsche is doing with the long roofs. I'd still take the Panamera Turismo over this one though.
    Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
    2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
    2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
    2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
    2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
    2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

Re: Porsche Unveils MissionE based CUV Concept

weird, like a panamera allroad.
      Jay