Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines

“There’s a future for diesel. Today, we want to put a stop, once and for all, to the debate about the demise of diesel technology.” It was with these words that the Bosch CEO Dr. Volkmar Denner, speaking at the company’s annual press conference, announced a decisive breakthrough in diesel technology. A breakthrough in the management of diesel emissions, enabling diesel cars to undercut future limits for nitrogen oxide (NOx) by almost 90 per cent.

Cars must currently emit no more than 168mg/km (milligrams per kilometre) of NOx and, in 2020, that limit will reduce to 120mg/km in real-world driving tests, and 80mg/km in lab assessments. But new technology developed by Bosch allows a diesel VW Golf to emit just 13mg/km of NOx in mixed driving conditions, measured using the latest RDE paradigms.

Announcing the breakthrough at the company’s annual press conference, Bosch’s chief executive, Dr Volkmar Denner, said: “There’s a future for diesel. Today, we want to put a stop, once and for all, to the debate about the demise of diesel technology.” Denner said the company was “pushing the boundaries of what is technically feasible.”

Even in urban driving, where emissions are typically far higher than on the open road, cars equipped with the new technology emit around 40mg/km of NOX - roughly a third of the permitted limits being introduced in 2020. This means, Denner said, that “diesel will remain an option in urban traffic, whether drivers are tradespeople or commuters.”

The technology works by managing exhaust gas recirculation and using a combination of advanced fuel-injection technology, a newly developed air management system, and intelligent temperature management. It is effective as soon as a car is started and works at all engine speeds, allowing it to operate effectively whether the vehicle is driven dynamically or slowly, in freezing conditions or in summer temperatures, on the freeway or in congested city traffic. The system is also effective when drivers accelerate quickly.

Journalists were given the opportunity to drive around Stuttgart in cars equipped with the new system. The results captured from these demonstration drives showed average NOx emissions of under 40mg/km, despite the cars being driven in city centre traffic.

While the system cannot be easily retrofitted to old cars, it is based on already-existing components and is available immediately. It can be incorporated into car makers’ production projects, and the system allows diesel engines to maintain their fuel economy and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

Denner promised more improvements in emissions management would be forthcoming, as Bosch plans to use artificial intelligence to build on its emissions reduction technology. “We firmly believe that the diesel engine will continue to play an important role in the options for future mobility,” he added.

Denner said electric cars had a fundamental role to play in future transport, but “until electromobility breaks through to the mass market, we will still need these highly efficient combustion engines.”

Re: Bosch Says It's Made a Breakthrough That Can Save Diesel Engines

Hope this pans out!
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

After watching the dirty money series on netflix I can't be anything but really skeptical of this.

They make a TON on injectors/pumps etc so they need diesels more than consumers. That said, I also kind of hope it pans out as diesel trucks will be in my future for a while.
      Jay

Comment

funny enough a local dealer is wanting me to trade the Q7 in i get a weekly letter because i haven't gotten the buy out yet so if i trade the Q in no buyout and the dealer wins..

Comment

I'm really hoping this turns out to be viable....it'll be a hard sell with all that's happened in the past few years...
          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

It sounds great but it may be too late to save the diesel. With the new bans on "bad" diesels, about half of the diesel cars in Europe will be getting scrapped in the next couple of years.

After dealing that kind of loss on a car you bought, who would buy another diesel?
            Last edited by witchcraftz; 04-26-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
              It sounds great but it may be too late to save the diesel. With the new bans on "bad" diesels, about half of the diesel cars in Europe will be getting scrapped in the next couple of years.

After dealing that kind of loss on a car you bought, who would buy another diesel?
              My mom's Passat was effected. Compensation was appropriate. She was out a bit of time, but not out any money. I don't think it would stop her from buying another. Mileage is still hard to beat.
              Stefan
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

IMHO diesels aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. There is certainly a movement to get rid of them especially in Europe, but the harsh reality is that everything, and I mean everything that we use has multiple diesel powered pieces of equipment to get those services and products to the consumer... certainly they will start with banning older cars and restricting use in some areas but we are a long way from getting rid of them. The technology is welcome in my view - propane / LNG is the most likely replacement but we don’t have the infrastructure anywhere near what is required... oh and if anyone talks to the “emerging economies they really don’t care what the rest of the world thinks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                FB

S2/RS6
                http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2961

Comment

But if you bought a $30-$60k diesel car a couple years back, in say Germany or France, then 4-5 years later when the ban comes into place it'll be almost worthless (in fact they already have lost a lot of value). Would you buy another diesel? Or would you play it safe by going gasoline?
                  Last edited by witchcraftz; 04-27-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

But if you bought a $30-$60k diesel car a couple years back, in say Germany or France, then 4-5 years later when the ban comes into place it'll be almost worthless (in fact they already have lost a lot of value). Would you buy another diesel? Or would you play it safe by going gasoline?
                    Ahh, i see what you mean. Hard to say how that will pan out. Will diesel still be available? I assume yes for commercial reasons. If the fuel is available, the car will have value, I suppose. I mean, most cars more than 10-15 years old are illegal by today's standards in terms of emissions, and you can still buy/sell/drive them. Would a diesel ban actually be retroactive? I figured it would be "from this day fourth..." more than forcing you to scrap your existing car. That said, I would be a little apprehensive if jumping in to a TDI A8 or something. There is a lot of value there to loose.
                    Last edited by stefan; 04-27-2018, 01:48 PM.
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

For sure - If I lived in Europe I would think hard about purchasing a diesel and I certainly wouldn’t be happy if I had purchased a diesel and the local gov’t decided to make it illegal to drive... From the very little I have read they will be phased out in the areas that have actually put together a plan - it will be interesting to see how they phase out diesel though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                      FB

S2/RS6
                      http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2961

Comment

Working...
                      X