e30mclow's latest e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: e30mclow's latest e30

It has been a month since my last update on here.

What's changed?

Chassis
    Big brakes/5x120 hubs have been fitted. I now have a surplus of 4x100 wheels.

Complete caliper rebuild kit for the e46 325i calipers x 4

(1 old one in there for reference)

New wheel bearings x 4

Front

Rear

I bored out the hubs on the Pontiac wheels, so they're now perfect e30 fitment.
    My new 205/45s arrive this week, then I can finally see what the fitment situation is.

Using a level, I'm estimating that my fitment is going to be what they call perfecttttt.

Body
    I went full idiot and bought what may be one of a few remaining genuine Alpina front valances. It was half the price of the car lol. It should arrive in 5-6 weeks from ze fasherland

Drivetrain

I rebuilt my Garrett turbo and fitted larger 440cc injectors, the new fuel pump and a few other bits and pieces.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

I made a turbo oil return line

Which clears the manifold nicely, and was just about 10% better than the last guy's attempt

I also fitted a new high pressure line

After that I drilled a tapped the JZ water neck to accept the BMW e30 coolant temp sensor (for the cluster)

Getting there

Then it was time for the heavy lifting/risky stuff. I want my Nissan 6 speed transmission, but I also want the gear lever to pop out within the e30 as God intended.
    This meant a lot of work for arguably very little reward.

1. Pull the transmission
    2. Split it in half
    3. Cut the main selector rod in half
    4. Replace the main shift weight/guide with a chunk of aluminum
    5. Adjust 1-200 times
    6. Put it back together and hope everything lines up
    7. Repeat step 2-6 8 times
    8. Enjoy your awesome shifter that now reside within the Nissan service window

Removing the split pins and cutting the shaft

New next to old

Mocking up the base plate for the shifter

Science

After playing around with shims on the retaining springs for forward and back, the gears now feel great. I can't wait to try it out.

I'm hoping to have the new tires on there this weekend, which will keep me motivated

I'll cut the excess off the shaft this weekend.

Comment

I am always so excited for an update to this thread!! The level of work is truly mind blowing to me, so thanks for sharing!!!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

The amount of work you've done is incredible. What's the first drive going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
          The amount of work you've done is incredible. What's the first drive going to be?
          Ottawa to St. Johns (Jaans)

Comment

I'm turning a corner and hopefully heading on the home stretch.

This weekend I wrestled the trans back in using all of my Mech Eng degree. I finally used it!
            I wouldn't give the ole iron ring to anyone that'd stamp this concoction.

It looks like it'd bring the house down, but it works. Only the trans is partially suspended from the straps, and the engine is sitting on the mounts. I was simply using the ratchet to line it up/angle it securely with the trans as I had nobody to help me.

The engine and trans are now sitting in their final position.

After that, I mounted my new 195/45s on the GTA wheels. They turned out great, and will obviously be 10 times better once I'm able to make suspension adjustments.

I've also begun cutting out the few rust spots that the car has (front scuttle panel, rear battery tray and a small bit on the driver's rear arch).
            This particular spot stemmed from the front fender rubbing slightly in one spot, causing the paint to wear and rust to accelerate.

Vomit

I have this replacement panel that I took from an old parts car. It isn't great, but I can certainly work with it!

I'm hoping to get the engine back together during the evenings this week, which may put be at T minus 2 weeks to cranking it over. eeek.
            Last edited by e30mclow; 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I have an engine support beam and light duty transmission jack if they would be helpful.
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Noises! Sounds just like a Toyota should.

I jammed an intercooler elbow into the open downpipe, then stuck every exhaust box I have in line behind it.
                This way it is quieter than the S4 and nobody will complain

That is idle with no adjustment for the larger injectors, as it is all wired straight into the ECU without the Apexi AFC.

And the interest of maintaining pointless expenditure into the latter part of the fiscal year, I've bought a very rare heckblende (new in the box).
                Why so rare? Nobody thought deleting the provision for a rear license plate was a good idea, and didn't buy them lol

Still, very $ these days.

And finally, the true unicorn poop - an Mtech 1 rear spoiler
                Last edited by e30mclow; 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

rad
                  Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

New Driveshaft

Then I moved to the clutch, which ate a solid week of my time. I couldn't for the life of me get the clutch to bleed. After changing EVERYTHING, it ultimately came down to a casting error on the small plastic elbow going to the BMW master cylinder.

Sans hole

Then, it turned out I had the clutch disc in backwards. Beautiful. There is a first for everything.

Incorrect

Correct

With that flipped, it moved out the door for a wash exactly 1 year to the day since I last drove it under BMW power.

But of course, you win some you lose some. My rear feed brake hard line must have corroded at one of the plastic clips, as it drip-drip-dripped the contents of the reservoir over night. Therefore, no driving vids as I wasn't in the mood for replacing/repairing the thing lol

I've started to tune the thing via the Apexi AFC, and I've not worked the car away from running so rich on the larger injectors.

Comment

Truly an epic build! A few minor issues left but you have a Supra 325i!

I really do like how those pontiac wheels look, any rubbing in the front though?

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                        I really do like how those pontiac wheels look, any rubbing in the front though?
                        Zero. I took my time in deciding what 5 stud route to go with.
                        My setup widens the front track width 15mm each side. I'm using REAR Pontiac wheels in front as they were actually a reverse stagger from factory. My front et is 16mm, so that with the wider track keeps everything perfect.

I stll have room for an extra lock kit which I'll fit over the winter.
                        This is under compression and I still have more camber adjustment. Hopefully this thing handles awesome.

Last edited by e30mclow; 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I sure hope I can see this beauty in person one day, so much win!!!!
                          Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yummy

I recently fitted a 110amp Lexus SC400 alternator which solved a few little niggles I've been having.*

This allowed me to run the car for 20 minutes while I played with the Apexi AFC and got the AFR sitting pretty.

The plan for the after work hours for this week is mainly repairing the aforementioned brake line. While moving the brake & fuel lines to where I can work on them, I decided to tackle the common rust spot beneath the accelerator pedal.
                            I didn't take photo before investigating, but this is what appeared once I started digging around the pedal area. Following removal of the undersealer, there was only one tool for it - the grinder.

I'll weld it in this weekend.

To aid the bleeding of the cooling system, seems as my rad sits relatively low (although I'm using the stock e30 reservoir), I've added a bleeder screw to the 1JZ water neck.

Exhaust parts are starting to arrive including stainless v-bands and flex pipes. I'm hoping to manage a 3" system, granted it'll sit a little low.

Comment

I really need to update this thread, as the car is now driving 100% and is currently being painted.

LOUD NOISESSSSS

A no expense spared, sub-$800CAD home paint job carried out by myself. I naively think I can pull it off, and so far, so good!

Don't cringe just yet

Yeah buddy!
                              Last edited by e30mclow; 04-27-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

christ Ger I want that car

Comment

Working...
                                X