e30mclow's latest e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e30mclow's latest e30

Gotta say, I'm super jealous of this thread. Between you and Patryk I don't really need any sexual contact at all. These cars are beautiful. And the way this is going right now is just unreal.

Comment

Thanks!

I've impressed myself yet again. I've even stood the Audi wheels in the arches so that it doesn't look so ghetto and keeps the neighbors happy.

Sketchy.

Comment

Nicely done. Nice that work will let you borrow the truck too.
        Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Awesomely done!

Comment

Originally posted by Circuits View Post
            Nicely done. Nice that work will let you borrow the truck too.
            Yeah, sureeee they do.

Comment

So much awesome in this thread, always!!
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Maximum points for tidying up before your landlord came. If anyone tries to steal the Lexus they’ll be in for a big shock!
                Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

I got it started last night, which was a big relief. Only ran it for a few seconds as there’s no exhaust.

I’ll make up something to quieten it down temporarily so that I can work on it.
                  This weekend will mainly be spent getting the e30 up to snuff for its first Auto-X event next Sunday. Really excited about that. Just going to do a coolant flush and make sure everything is tightened up.

Comment

I'm officially in love with Auto-X!

My first outing (yesterday) went excellently and I was left grinning from ear to ear.
                    My little e30 beat many big dollar cars and my times were on the low end vs a lot of the field (maybe 60 or so cars).

I had a few people come up to me afterwards saying it was great to watch the e30 sliding everywhere.

Some photos:

This was a spectator's car, but I'd have loved to have seen/heard it running

This was my last & quickest lap.
                    The video is on the long side as the Cobra before me had a bit of a moment (you can hear it locking up it's wheels at the end of his lap).
                    The e30 action starts at around 2min 30sec

Comment

Looks like brilliant fun! It’s great to hear those rears trying to hang on during the second lap.
                      Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

That was fun, congrats!

Comment

The results are in!

Man, am I ever happy.

In terms of RAW time, I was the fastest Novice and fastest in the Street Modified Class.
                          Really happy with that for a first day out on cheapo 5+ year old tires.

Cars in yellow came on/in trailers.
                          The 325is above me was running an S54 with open ITBs and sounded amazing.

The rest of the field

What a testament to the little old e30, so much fun to throw around.
                          Last edited by e30mclow; 03-20-2018, 06:44 AM.

Comment

A mixed bag last weekend.

My exhaust popped off in 2 of my 6 runs. There are 2 slip joints where the 2 manifolds (3 branches a piece) meet the mid section. I reckon the heat of being pounded followed by resting for 10 minutes is causing it to work loose.
                            My driving was a lot better this time around, the in car footage showing no crisscrossing of hands, and everything was far more controlled.

The only complaint I have with the car (the exhaust is minor) are the tires. I badly need tires as the ones on it are ancient and I'm spinning the wheels in 2nd all around the track.
                            I've been avoiding buying ones for my current 16x7J wheels as I plan to bring my 16x9Js back from Ireland in July.

No real footage this time.

Here was the first lap, which was just a case of being able to drive the course after having been allowed walk it once in the morning (it is very hard to remember the turn/movements). That was obviously my slowest run, then my cameralady jumped in for the rest.

I find the in car footage very valuable, as I can tell that my hand positioning is much improved vs the first time out.
                            Same lap as above (you can tell I'm unimpressed at the end lol)

Then this lap went south as I went in wayyy too hot and had to almost stop to avoid going off course/hitting cones (surprisingly, I was taking that slalom way quicker than this in other laps, but my line was crap in this instance). It then turned into a semi-drift lap as my time wouldn't have been competitive anyway. That turned into a warning, but it was delivered in a friendly fashion.

Still hit most of the clipping points while sideways though.

No cones hit all day and had some great feedback. Tires will make a huge difference.
                            Came 2nd in class vs a prepared Focus ST. He'd have still beaten me even if I was on slicks, as he was a hell of an operator having beaten 2 Focus RSs in the process.

I decided to opt for some meaty tires in e30 terms, having ordered 225/50r16s and a new set of 16x8 et20 wheels. The thing is going to look seriously mean.
                            Tires arrive today and the wheels will hopefully arrive this week. I have a 2 day event this upcoming weekend and would love to be on my new tires.
                            Last edited by e30mclow; 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM.

Comment

impressive driving Ger... when you home in July?? im back home from the 2nd to the 20th some wedding stuff to sort out.. and knock the cobwebs off the M3

Comment

The ole girl didn't know herself with her new shoes!

Some interesting cars involved this weekend, a real mix.

Absolutely crap video of one of my runs, but still shows some of the other cars milling about. It pains me seeing the car hop on the exit of the last left handed sweeper, I'd have probably cracked 40.9xx only for that.

Achieved 2nd of 31 cars on Saturday and 16th of 61 on Sunday.

The real hero is the guy in the stock Hyundai Elantra. He's being doing this for 25-30years and knows all of the tricks.

When I pull up, you can see the #1 Corvette running. He is about 17-18 years old, and the car came on a trailer being pulled by his brand new Ford Raptor. Serious money, but he was a very nice young fella and obviously a brilliant driver. You can also see the some of the Miatas (mx5s) with tire warmers on, incredibly well prepared cars for what are really really short bursts of "racing".

The Ford Ranger (pickup) listed was a spaceframed Ranger with a big block chevy and 335 wide tires on all 4 corners. A real rat rod thing.

The Porsche 914/6 was a thing of beauty (in front of me in the video). He was in my running group, positioned to start ahead of me. I had to get out of my car while waiting for my turn in the paddock, as the fumes from the car running so rich on race fuel was making me dizzy.

Really enjoying it now, but it is making me regret buying the 1JZ donor. Unless I go with a small turbo and slicks, it'd hardly be as quick as the ole m20 around a small course like this.
                                Last edited by e30mclow; 04-23-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X