Golf MK7 Hill assist fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf MK7 Hill assist fail

This morning I parked in a driveway with a significant hill. I parked the car facing forward, the handbrake on. Shortly after parking I had to move it. So I turned on the engine, held the brake pedal, removed the handbrake, put it in reverse and gave it gas. I then gently started releasing the foot brake. The car didn't go backwards as I expected, instead it rolled forwards and I had to slam on the brakes and even then it didn't really stop. I ended up demolishing the tow hook licence plate holder (only damage thankfully). I redid all the above a second time to get away from the wall and it reversed no problem. WTF?
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 08-25-2019, 01:24 PM.

Re: Golf MK7 Hill assist fail

that doesn't sound like hill assist to me.

Hill assist means you dont need to give it gas before needing to release the brake. You should be able to take your foot off the brake before applying gas and not move.

At least this is how my car's hill assist works.

You giving it gas probably made the car think it was no longer on a hill then let you roll forward.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
      This morning I parked in a driveway with a significant hill. I parked the car facing forward, the handbrake on. Shortly after parking I had to move it. So I turned on the engine, held the brake pedal, removed the handbrake, put it in reverse and gave it gas. I then gently started releasing the foot brake. The car didn't go backwards as I expected, instead it rolled forwards and I had to slam on the brakes and even then it didn't really stop. I ended up demolishing the tow hook licence plate holder (only damage thankfully). I redid all the above a second time to get away from the wall and it reversed no problem. WTF?
      Hmm, assuming you have an electronic parking brake, you don’t release it if you want hill hold assist.

In my B8.5 S4 6MT, I turn the parking brake on, then I shift into gear and take off normally. The parking brake won’t release until the car knows I have enough torque going to the wheels that it won’t roll back (or in your case forward).

I think your mistake was releasing the parking brake (assuming it’s an electronic switch - I don’t know what MK7s have, never drove one).

If all else fails, read the owners manual.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      1990 Porsche 951
      2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

I have a manual parking brake, not the electronic version, some MK7s do have the electronic parking brake though.

I called VW and apparently Hill Assist only functions when driving forward, so reverse would not have engaged Hill Assist.

However they also mentioned that there is a current recall to do with MK7s with DSG transmission + manual handbrake where the ignition key may pull slightly out and the car will roll away.

Comment

Working...
        X