Passat engine pulsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passat engine pulsing

You've covered everything that I can think of that is simple.... Tbelt tensionner?

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
      You've covered everything that I can think of that is simple.... Tbelt tensionner?
      Timing belt isn't that old. Lost track of time a little, but I think I replaced it two years ago. Popped cover off and gave it a wiggle to check for play. Seems toit.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Try putting it in different gears and holding it the way you would normally feel it. Changing the path of power through the transmission to see if you notice a difference may point you towards it being an engine or transmission issue.

Comment

Yeah my money is on the transmission. Just convince vw that they need to replace it with a 6 speed
          2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
          Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Originally posted by danosaur View Post
            Try putting it in different gears and holding it the way you would normally feel it. Changing the path of power through the transmission to see if you notice a difference may point you towards it being an engine or transmission issue.
            The forward gears, I would say, have slightly less pulsing then reverse. I noticed the issue first while stopped in reverse. That said, it's not a huge difference.
            Stefan
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
              Yeah my money is on the transmission. Just convince vw that they need to replace it with a 6 speed
              Would be a big job.. and I'd probably have to buy another car while sorting it out... but sure would be cool
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Are you using a K&N filter by any chance?

I can't remember but is it MT or AT? If it's a 01M you may need to change the solenoids.

You could perhaps have a bad fuse?

Maybe a clogged fuel filter?

Or perhaps a bad N18 Valve?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGcZExWof8U
                Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Are you using a K&N filter by any chance? No

I can't remember but is it MT or AT? If it's a 01M you may need to change the solenoids. AT. Apparently an 01V... I think.

You could perhaps have a bad fuse? Dont know, but something I can look in to

Maybe a clogged fuel filter? No, its pretty much new, and I checked that the lift pump was pushing fuel through it at a reasonable rate.

Or perhaps a bad N18 Valve? I have another that I took apart and cleaned. Would be good enough to swap for a test.
                  Stefan
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                    The forward gears, I would say, have slightly less pulsing then reverse. I noticed the issue first while stopped in reverse. That said, it's not a huge difference.
                    My money is on the transmission as well. The fact you can tell a difference between forward and reverse gears doesn’t make sense for an engine related problem. Double check your engine/transmission mounts before going any further, as well. Worn mounts can translate into feeling more driveline vibrations inside the cabin.

Comment

Well, I'll continue to check out anything else I've missed. If I don't get anywhere, I'll send it to Tunedub and see if they can give me a straight answer. Might also do a little cost comparison between an AT replace and an MT import and swap, just so I know what I'm up against if it does pack up.
                      Stefan
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Did you try insulting it's mother?

Sorry I have nothing to contribute but really making me think twice about buying an older winter car.
                        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                          Did you try insulting it's mother?
                          Yup. That's the first thing I thought to do...
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Remanufactured trans from VW is about $4k for just the trans. 5 speed manual half the price, and a 6 speed about $3k for parts. Labour will be 10-15 hours for the manual, probably 8 hours for the slush box.
                            Ben
                            2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                            2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                            2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                            Her's
                            2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                              Remanufactured trans from VW is about $4k for just the trans. 5 speed manual half the price, and a 6 speed about $3k for parts. Labour will be 10-15 hours for the manual, probably 8 hours for the slush box.
                              10-15hrs of your time is probably 15-30hrs of mine. Haha. But still, it would be a cool project if I could make time for it.
                              Stefan
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Ben can probably replace the slushbox in 3 hours with his eyes closed. He's done it several times the past year of two lol.
                                2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                                Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Working...
                                X