Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Rims "Will they Fit?" Question

Car: 2004 VW R32

OEM Rims: 18" x 7.5"' OZ Aristo alloy wheels (38mm Offset, 5x100)
    OEM Tires: 225/40ZR18 Goodyear F1

Winter Rims: 17" x 7.0" Tenzo R Type-M Version 2 alloy wheels (42mm Offset, 5x100)
    Winter Tires: 205/50R17 XL Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Question: Will they fit (ie. specifically, will the 17" clear the R32 brakes)?
    (According to the 1010tires wheel offest calculator, the new rims will have 2mm more inner clearance and 10mm less outer position)

Anyone? Deuce.
    Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Re: Winter Rims "Will they Fit?" Question

I think it should be close, my Dad ran 17s for his winter wheels on his TT 3.2 which had the same brakes and they were OK but not a lot of room to spare.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Ask on the R32 forums on the vortex.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
        I think it should be close, my Dad ran 17s for his winter wheels on his TT 3.2 which had the same brakes and they were OK but not a lot of room to spare.
        No definitive answer on the Vortex yet. Called the manufacturer who pretty much said... "Well, they might fit... and they might not. To be sure... I'd go with the 18's". Yeah... o.k.! NOT.

Anyhow, going back to your dad's TT C-Turbo... since those were 17's as well and fit... is there a reason why another set of 17's wouldn't fit? I mean, the offset seems fine... is there another reason why they just wouldn't clear the brakes on the inside?

Cheers... Deuce.
        Rob

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

check how far away the calipers are from the 18's now......if you have 2-3" then your good with a 17", if there is 1-2" distance from the caliper's then you might be pushing it with 17" wheels.
          Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Originally posted by popp View Post
            check how far away the calipers are from the 18's now......if you have 2-3" then your good with a 17", if there is 1-2" distance from the caliper's then you might be pushing it with 17" wheels.
            There are plenty of people on Vortex who are running 17" VW OEM Monte Carlo's and Long Beach's (see pics below) on their R32's. So if they work, why wouldn't any other 17" rim work... assuming the offset is o.k.? Me confused.

Monte Carlo's

Long Beach's
            Last edited by Deuce; 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM.
            Rob

Comment

you just answered your own question then.........get a similar offset wheel and giddy up
              Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

All 17" wheels will have the same outside diameter the difference is the inside diameter will very depending on the style and/or construction of the wheel, and also the curve of the spokes could be an issue as the brakes are very large on an R32.

Looking at the Tenzo's they look like the should work but you will not now for sure till you try or find someone else who has tried. Can you not get access to the wheels to test fit??
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Having sold Tenzo for years, the line does not usually fit VW's well at all. The offset is not the problem, but instead the issue is usually that the hub is not deep enough and the center cap bottoms out before the wheel is seating on the hub mounting surface. It can be easily dealt with by using a spacer, but there were commony issues without... I can't say for certain that this new model Tenzo wheel will have the same issue, but almost every other model did have the problem.
                  sigpic
                  Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
                  Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
                  Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
                  888.769.1772 Toll Free
                  403.769.1771 tel
                  403.769.1773 fax
                  bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Originally posted by tirebob View Post
                    Having sold Tenzo for years, the line does not usually fit VW's well at all. The offset is not the problem, but instead the issue is usually that the hub is not deep enough and the center cap bottoms out before the wheel is seating on the hub mounting surface. It can be easily dealt with by using a spacer, but there were commony issues without... I can't say for certain that this new model Tenzo wheel will have the same issue, but almost every other model did have the problem.
                    Are spacers readily sold here in Calgary... or is this something I should order ahead of time as well? (I see they come in a multitude of sizes too (ie. from a few mm to nearly 10 cm!)
                    Last edited by Deuce; 09-18-2008, 08:20 AM.
                    Rob

Comment

depends how much space you need. 1/8th inch or 1/4 inch but yes you can usually find them around for sure. I would suggest getting the hub centric variety. They are a little more but do not cuase the same fitting issues. I do not have any in my stock but it would be orderable I'm sure...
                      sigpic
                      Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
                      Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
                      Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
                      888.769.1772 Toll Free
                      403.769.1771 tel
                      403.769.1773 fax
                      bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Working...
                      X