Fixing rock chips diy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing rock chips diy

Go out and get a paint pen and a clearcoat pen from the dealership, or grab just a clearcoat one and get a bodyshop to mix some touchup paint for you. Also make sure you have a good power polisher and three stage polish if you have a dark colored car you might be able to get away on a lighter colored car.

1. Get some 1000 grit sandpaper or the more common 1200. Sand around the rock chips but don't get carried away, you only need a couple mm around the chip.

2. Dab some paint into the chip using your paint pen don't worry about if you get some around the chip. Go have a beer and let it dry.

3. Once it's dry give it a quick sand to knock down the paint that overlapped the clearcoat using 1500 grit. Make sure that you just knock it down so there is only paint in the chip.

4. Take the clearcoat pen and fill up the rock chip so that it is bulging out of the chip a little bit and make sure that it goes around outside the rockchip as well. Have another beer and let it dry.

5. Take some more 1500 grit and knock down the clearcoat so that it is level with the existing paint, but don't go too overboard otherwise you could run into some larger problems.

6. Once it is close to smooth get some 2000 grit and give it a sand just to get rid of the deeper scratches then do the same with 3000 grit.

7. Get out your polish and go through the different stages till you get a good nice shiny finish. Then wax.

Notes: this works best on non metallic colors.
    All said sanding is wetsanding.
    There is a quicker way which involves dabbing the paint then wiping
    The overlapping paint off so you can skip one thing of sanding.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything you mess up attempting this. This is a much cheaper fix than painting and the results sometimes are not as good.

If you have any questions just pm me or those of you who have my number just give me a call, pm for number if you don't have it. Would be willing to help out for beer .

Blair maybe we should but a diy section in on here for tricks people have to fix things?

Cheers and good luck fixing those chips!
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Re: Fixing rock chips diy

im actually doing this today as well.
    smurf has a chip right on the leading edge of the hood i want to fix
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Me too. The .:R is in need of some TLC
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Me too..any ideas?

Can't find my Europlate either.

So much for loaner cars...
        He killed my baby.Now it's civil court time to collect since he got pie eyed and insurance won't cover him.Got it out of impound anyways.

Comment

Tuct tape will fix that right up Paul
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Zip ties FTW!
            2015 Audi RS7, Sepang Blue, Carbon Optic Package, Performance Package, Driver Assistant Plus Package, Black Alcantara Headliner
            2015 Audi A3, Glut Orange, 2.0 TFSI Technik, S Line Package - Wife's
            2006 Audi S4, Sprint Blue Pearl, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Navigation - SOLD

Comment

Bringing this topic back up, does anybody know where to get 3000 grit sand paper? Canadian tire and Auto value only have up to 2000 grit, and home depot only goes up to 800. If anyone knows where to pick some up, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
              Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Calgary Body Shop & Supply Ltd, probably
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

2500 grit would be fine, just the higher the grit the better the finish!
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Colin, you have a pm
                    Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment