Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: My Ginster Mk3

Default Re: My Ginster Mk3

Does anybody have any idea why my car keeps ripping through front engine mount brackets? I've been through 3 in the last 4 years, and approximately 20k km. Pictured here is a mangled engine mount from 2015. (I can't seem to find a picture from the one that broke in the summer of 2017).

I got a used bracket from pick n pull like usual, but this time I took some precautionary measures. I cut it some gussets and welded them on to the mount to reinforce it. The bung for one of the bolts was spot welded from the factory, and it tore off on the previous engine mount so I welded it all the way around, just in case.

That was a few months ago, so the reinforced engine mount bracket rusted a bit. A wire wheel took care of that, and then I hit it with a coat of paint to protect it from any future rust. I wanted a color that was bright, so I could see any deformations or cracks easier. So I painted it gold to match my oil pan and engine cover (mostly because I just had the paint laying around.) it was ready to put in.

After taking the old one out, I was able to fully see the damages. Interestingly enough, it failed in quite a different way than the other two times. This time the spot welds held, and the whole ear of the engine mount ripped off. The whole box section was twisted as well..

I also picked up a Seibon carbon fiber hood and hatch from a friend last week. They've been sitting in storage for a long time, so they need refinishing. I threw the hood on for now as it was easier. Although, I did need to diddle the hood latch to get it to lock properly. For the hatch, I need to get some rear glass and a wiring harness first as I don't want to steal it from my steel hatch.

I like the look of the carbon fiber hood more than I thought than I would. But I think I'll most likely paint the hatch to match the body. I'll decide when I see what I looks like on the car.

I have a question for you guys though. Personally, I hate the look of hood pins, but Im also scared of my floppy carbon fiber (mostly fiberglass) hood flopping around at Stoney speeds and flying up and dying... If I do get any sort of secondary hood latching I would most likely get the flush AeroCatch ones, but I'm still not a fan of the look of them. Is there any other low key fastener you guys know of? Do any of you run carbon fiber hoods without any sort of secondary fastener? Yolo?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Is the latch that poorly fixed to the underside of the hood?

You could try installing the corrado transmission brace. Should help with the front to back rocking of the engine, which could be the issue with your front mount. I have always ran BFI poly engine mounts and G60 transmission mount in my VRT's and never had an issue with front mount cracking. Are you running stock engine mounts and transmission mount?

Also let me know how the install on the hatch goes. I still have mine that i have not installed yet and I am curious how it will all go together.
    Last edited by Mcrow; 05-22-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    Mitch

1996 Harlequin
    2001 Toyota Highlander

Sounds to like you have aggressive acceleration problems
    more power + acceleration = more engine movement

Poly Bushings + reinforced mounts are probably going to help.

In regards to the hood latch.. I'm only scared because I've worked enough with carbon fiber to know how it fails. With no warning, and dramatically haha. I mean, it looks fine, but the latch shattering and the hood flying up would just kinda always be on the back of my mind y'know?

I currently have BFI stage 0.5 poly engine mounts, and a solid G60 trans mount.
    I totally forgot the Corrado trans brace existed however, thanks for the reminder Mitch. As far as power goes; at the end of the day, torque is torque right? Yeah, I run this car pretty hard. But it's still a lightly modded 12v VR6, it dyno'd at 180whp and 173 ftlb of torque. Plenty of VRT guys with double or even triple the power and torque are running these mounts with no issues reported (that I could find, atleast). I'm hoping my reinforced mount will help, and I'll be looking for, or making a trans mission brace.

Cheers

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

I installed the corrado brace last season and it seemed to make a little bit of a difference. I bought it off a Corrado but it would be a super easy part to fab up. To attest to your statement, I have ran the 0.5 mounts on both my VRT's and they are just fine.

And the carbon looks good. I have a soft spot for carbon fibre, it's just so pretty.
    Last edited by Mcrow; 05-24-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Mitch

1996 Harlequin
    2001 Toyota Highlander

Maybe the chassis is flexing (despite the strut brace)?

Thread Information