Thread: Stupid Cobra II - An extremely NON EURO build thread

Default Stupid Cobra II - An extremely NON EURO build thread

Hello Eurodrivers.. Me again.. This time I have no excuse. This just straight up isnt a euro build, BUT Mr. President Railton gave me the green light so here we are. This is my 1978 Ford Mustang Cobra II. He did reccomend that I post this build somewhere else for more exposure but meh. I dont care for that internet "clout", and would rather share this build with the local Eurodrivers community. Hope yall dont mind [emoji14]

Actually, this car does have a very small tie to this club... Some of you might remember this car back from Into the Rockies 2014 where it drove for the very last time. We limped it home that day, and its just been sitting at various locations ever since...

After a year or two of planning my build, and gathering parts. I finally felt confident to start making some progress on this car. So I aired up the tires, and moved it into my tiny garage.

So, not 100% sure whats broken in the 302 Ford small block engine, but it overboosted/leaned out/whatever and it's now low on compression.. Another bad sign was when I pulled the oil drain plug, coolant came out. Also, my brother wants the Paxton supercharger kit, and the Tremec TKO 500R transmission for his 67 Mustang, so that means the old V8s gotta go.

As with any other engine pull, I started off with pulling all the accesories, plumbing, heavy brass radiator and (very few) wires. While pulling stuff off, I discovered a funny looking (what I believe to be) a DIY torque reaction mount haha

On the inside of the car, the guy who built this thing in the 80s made a crude a switch panel. These switches have the electric fans, fuel pump, foglights, and I believe ignition power (if I remember correctly?) wired on seperate circuits. This is perfect for what im planning to do with this car... However, this needed to be discnnected to get the shifter out for the engine pull. So, I labeled everything, and started unplugging. The panel itself is steel and heavy, the switches are hot glued to the back of it, and above all, im not a fan of the extremely loose spade connectors connecting everything together. Ill definitely be making a new one down the road, with some cooler looking switches and hopefully better wiring.

Now, it was time to yank out this old 302... It feels kinda wrong "un-V8ing" a clasic muscle car... But you guys know me. I dont do normal.
    I pushed the front end out of the garage for more height clearance, and of course it started to blizzard immedietly... But after another 20 minutes or so.. It was done.. This Cobra will officially never be V8 powered again.

Hmm.. So much room for activities... The bay looks even bigger due to the fact that this cars prehistoric suspension design means that theres no front strut towers... I was about 90% sure that the engine I planned to drop in would fit without modifications to the unibody.. But after seeing the bay, I had no doubt it would.

Last thing to do with this V8 was to split the trans for easier transport, and haul the lump over to my brothers so I could make room for the Cobras new heart...

Thatll be all for now... The new engine is in my garage already, but ill save that for the next post.

Cheers!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GingerBeef; 02-26-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Default Re: Stupid Cobra II - An extremely NON EURO build thread

I remember the car from the cruise! Cool to see a couple build threads going at the same time. Love the engine-riding pic.
    Stefan
    -> '14 Dakota Grey A4 Allroad
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI. Malone 1.5, De-chained BSM, 5-speed swap!
    -> Past rides: '06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida

Thanks for sharing Jason, your build threads are always so much fun, and make me wonder why I don't get more done with my own time
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
    Thanks for sharing Jason, your build threads are always so much fun, and make me wonder why I don't get more done with my own time
    Thanks Blair! What can I say... I love making more trouble for myself that kills way too much of my time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    I remember the car from the cruise! Cool to see a couple build threads going at the same time. Love the engine-riding pic.
    I had no idea you were on that cruise! What were you driving at the time?

So, some of you who follow me on Instagram might already know that I've been planning to throw an RB25DET into the Cobra to replace the old V8. The idea is definitely inspired from the Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift Mustang.. Only with the shittier classic Mustang and the shittier RB engine haha. The Fast and the Shittier anyone? But for those of you who are out of the loop, I'll take you through the whole (sort of complicated) story on how I obtained the new powertrain.

This journey started pretty much exactly a year ago when I found a crusty abandoned 1990 HCR32 Skyline project on Kijiji (thats an R32 GT-ST for those unfamiliar with Skylines).

The R32s originally came with a RWD RB20DET (2 liter inline 6 turbo) but this one was in the process of being RB25DET (2.5 liter inline 6 turbo) swapped from what I was told was a later model R33 Skyline GT-ST (more on that later). Besides missing most of its interior, and being in a million pieces, for unknown reasons this chassis has been deemed by the Alberta government to be no longer roadworthy, and unrepairable. So this means I got the whole lot for a pretty good deal. Anyways, I stripped and sold whatever I could from the rest of the Skyline that I didnt need to regain some cost and then sold the rest of the shell to Boost Factory so they could chop it up and use its sheetmetal to fix an R32 GT-R with some terminal frame rust. At the end of the day I managed to get the drivetrain, wiring and ECU for about $1000. Not bad at all.. As you can see from the earlier pic, the engine was already removed from the car when I purchased it, and its accesories/wiring was crammed into a big tupperware box so unfortunately alot of stuff was missing.. But I had most of the important bits.

Now this is where things get interesting/ terrible for me... Like I said earlier, I was told from the seller that the powertrain was an RB25DET Series 2 from a manual R33 Skyline... But after some thorough inspection of my motor only last week I discovered that it was in fact an RB25DET NEO engine from an automatic 2001 WC34 Stagea 2500T (essentially a wagon version of an R34 Skyline GT-T).

Now.. This is both good and bad news for me. The good news is its overall a better powerplant. The NEO has a larger turbo that runs higher boost pressure, has higher compression, variable valve timing, and it has much stronger internals (the same rods as a GT-R's RB26DETT). Long story short, it makes about 280hp and 250 ft lb of torque stock, 30ish hp, and 40ish ft lb more than the standard RB25DET. This should be plenty of fun in the tiny Cobra II that weighs in at around 2800lbs.
    The bad news is, it is a much bigger pain in the ass to wire in. And all my wiring pinout collecting and research done over the last year is now worthless... OH and speaking of wiring, after taking a closer look at my engine harness I discovered that whoever removed the wiring of this Stagea engine was an absolute bell end, and cut a bunch of wires.

For example, the wires for all 6 of the fuel injectors were snipped off instead of unplugged. Sure, theyre in a tight spot and are kinda a pain in the ass to remove.. BUT if they had spent even 2 seconds looking, or had half a brain they would have discovered that the wiring harness just simply unplugs from a main connector...

So, thats it for now, this project will be on hold for a week or two while I do some more wiring research, and try to track down ECU pinouts. Its probably also a wise idea to catalogue what I have... And more importantly what im missing so I dont get held up by something stupid down the road. Thanks for following everyone, and please, if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GingerBeef; 03-05-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

So excited to see this thing come to life again!
    -Terry
    -2014 S4
    insta:Whiney_S4

Wow crazy, looking forward to following the build.

Thread Information