2007 A4 Rear Wheel Bearings - DIY Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 A4 Rear Wheel Bearings - DIY Replacement

I heard a faint noise coming from the passenger side at ~60 km/h a few weeks ago so I jacked up the car and checked all 4 wheels as I suspected it might be a bearing. I could not detect any movement by pushing/pulling on the top and bottom of the wheel as recommended for checking the bearings, and I couldn't tell if the noises/feeling coming through the wheels was a bearing, a brake pad dragging, or gears meshing in the differential. Ended up removing the wheels and brake calipers to be sure, and the passenger rear definitely felt different than the other 3. Settled on replacing both rear bearings. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I have to take pretty much all maintenance into my own hands now!

I ordered the bearings, hardware and a Schwaben rear bearing service kit from ECS. One of the bolts came with a cracked head, which ECS replaced right away, but set me back a week.

I was following the instructions provided by ECS, which are pretty comprehensive but I had some issues. I got the brakes taken off and axle removed without too much effort, although my AWE exhaust was a bit in the way for accessing some of the fasteners.

The bearing press plate from the kit did not fit over the housing so I had to open it up quite a bit (almost 1/4") to fit. Fortunately I have a machine shop at work .

Then the bolts for drawing the hub out did not reach the press plate, they hit on the housing too. Made it work with nuts for a shim.

After removing the hub, pulling the old bearing out (which was definitely shot) was straight forward, although I needed a 38 mm socket (called up as 32 in the instructions). Pressing the new bearing in was also easy enough, although the press plates are a little small to properly pick up on the outside race of the bearing and the instructions show the plates the wrong way which could (and did) damage the seal. At this point the hub is pressed into the new bearing. I had the plates set up as shown in the instructions. When I pressed the hub in, about halfway in it drove the inner races of the bearing out . The instructions are wrong, they have the inside press plate pick up on the housing, leaving a gap from the bearing which allowed the inner races to pop out.

Fortunately I had the bearing for the other side so I was able to install it and the hub, correctly this time. Reinstalled the axle, brakes and wheel. Torqued the axle bolt - 200 N-m (150 ft-lbs) + 180 degrees, which broke my breaker bar . Total time including the modifications to the press plate was about 12 hours, MUCH longer than I had expected.

I'm dealing with ECS to see what they can do for me for the work I had to do to the press plate and breaking the bearing. They offered exchange but didn't specify for what, I obviously don't want a new bearing service kit that won't fit. So far their customer service has been pretty responsive, although I didn't get any help on Saturday when I called about the plates not fitting, was just told to call on Monday to ask about return/exchange.
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: 2007 A4 Rear Wheel Bearings - DIY Replacement

Nice work!

For the price it costs to get parts from ECS, I hope their customer service steps up to the plate.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Update - ECS sent me an RMA for the split bearing only and have completely ignored my request for some compensation for the press kit requiring modification. They did not mention it in any of their responses. Not sure if I will do business with them again if I don't have to.
      Last edited by FlyBoy; 08-29-2015, 02:29 PM.
      Jeff

Comment

Very nice write up. Thanks for letting us know. I was about to buy this kit for my B6 A4 wagon as I need to replace all my wheel bearings. I guess I will hold off. Anybody know if the one at Concept 1 works better and if it works for both the front and rear bearings?

http://store.concept1.ca/Wheel-Beari...C-1TL-A1008-1/
        2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
        Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

I should mention that my car has the larger OEM brakes listed in the Bently manual (not the Brembos though ), so maybe the bearing housings are different because of that.

The part that is missing from the C-1 kit is the horseshoe press plate for extracting the hub. The hub needs to come out in order to use the press kit (C-1 or Schwaben). Other than that the cups and plates look similar, just more selection of sizes, hopefully the larger cup is big enough as the rear bearing was larger than I had expected.

The front bearings are bolted in from the back. The ECS instructions for the front look pretty good for that too, says its they are for the B6, and they use the Schwaben kit to pull the hub and assemble the new bearing with the hub off the car. Most places sell the complete bearing assembly with new mounting hardware, but the bearings look like they are available cheap by themselves too. My buddy recommended these guys: http://www.rockauto.com/, but I went with ECS because I needed the tools too. The hub bolt is stretch type and should be replaced, not sure on the housing bolts.
          Last edited by FlyBoy; 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM.
          Jeff

Comment

rockauto.com is excellent
            Last edited by PRY4SNO; 08-30-2015, 11:04 AM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Dal borrowed my wheel bearing press kit about a month ago and had zero problems getting his rear wheel bearings swapped out. Use a slide hammer like typical to get the hub off (the bearing splits and the outer inner race comes off with the hub) and then use the cups and bolt to get the bearing out. Use a dremel and cutoff wheel to remove the inner race from the hub if you are going to re-use hubs. Use the cups and bolt to press in a new bearing (pressing against the outer race), then the cups and bolt again to push the hub onto the bearing (holding inner race this time).

I think the horseshoe is a good idea but a slide hammer is a universal application and probably a fair bit easier.

Comment

DJ we have this, don't worry

http://www.toolsource.com/hubwheel-b...-p-106242.html
                Ben
                2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                Her's
                2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

I wasn't sure if your kit did rear bearings but it looks like it does.
                  2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                  Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Working...
                  X