JDM Lupo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDM Lupo

Thought i would share some pics of the new toy car i picked up earlier this year. The car was imported through Zen Autoworks a couple years ago and sean the owner of zen had been hanging onto it for a couple years driving it here and there.

The car is in extremely good shape and i picked it up with just over 70,000kms on it. Tornado red with a checkered interior. The GTI gets a couple cool little extras over a standard Lupo including sport seats, steering wheel, red stitched interior, a 1.6 16Valve mated up to a short ratio 6 speed so you are always bangin gears. The exterior gets more aggressive bumpers, projector headlights and juicy little flared arches.

First things first was to get this toaster slammed but i found a set of BBS RM's that came off of Paul's VR6 Turbo mk2 in Edmonton. He had some pretty meaty drag tires on them

They also poked out just a touch Ofcourse this issue will be fixed with my love of tilty wheels.

I wasn't a fan of the textured gold finish on the wheels and the lips needed some attention so i pulled them apart. I sanded/polished them up and sent the wheels off for powdercoating.

Bulletproof coatings did a fantastic job on the powder and left the wheels with a beautiful glossy polar white finish. I cleaned up the hardware the best i could and reassembled.

Looking fresh with BBS RS Hexes modified to fit the RM centercaps. I had a set of Red Nurburgring edition caps laying around which work perfectly against the white faces/gold hardware.

Now in terms of coilovers there arent a whole lot of options for the lupo. My choices were basically between bottom of the barrel JOM Coilovers Vs KW V2's or 3's which i knew wouldn't go low enough for my liking. So to the bottom of the barrel we go.

Install was a breeze, the lupo has mk2 style suspension up front and a lupo specific out back but is similar to a MK4 rear beam style setup. 2-3 bolts and everything comes right apart. The JOM coils go plenty low up front, but actually required modification out back to go as low as i needed it to.

After some fender modification and camber shims out back, the wheels slipped under the arches nicely. It immediately reminded me of my mk5 on bbs rs reps. A car i miss dearly.

I do plan on adding a cupra R lip to the front end, and getting the front windows tinted to match the rears. Future plans include finding a set of Pop out rear windows and euro tinted rear tails (Japanese cars got the orange tails similar to how mk4's are)

The car is an absolute blast to drive and turns heads everywhere it goes. The only issue i have with the car is that being so large, the driving position is a tad awkward. I have the seat all the way down and back, but the wheel does not telescope so to remedy this i have picked up a Grip royal woodie wheel and nrg quick release. This will bring the steering wheel a couple inches closer to me and put my knees in a better position.

I have a couple things planned over the winter; A rear wiper delete from KillAllWipers and a rear seat delete. I would love to do a custom interior on this car including retrofitting mk4 R32 seats but the interior of the car is in such good shape as it is, im not sure if i should or not.

I would love to do something wild like this, but obviously a better color to match the red.

Anyways I love this car, and its so easy to just tinker on. It reminds me of my mk4 days where when you get the mod bug you can just do stuff to it when you like.

Will report back with progress updates.

Re: JDM Lupo

looks so great Danny! I loved running in to you in the wild. It looks so fun. I lusted after a red with black leather interior (red I) back in 2004 that had been traded in to my local VW dealership in Wales. It was just too expensive at the time and I probably couldn't have afforded the insurance back then either (British car problems)

Would be fun to see a fixed base Pole Position drivers seat in this thing, to get your seat a little lower!
    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Looks amazing and you know I love small cars!!!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Looks so cool, nice work on it.

Comment

Can't wait to see it in person Danny! It's definitely a great pick up!
          --
          Rod
          Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
          2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Thanks everyone. Been loving this little thing!

Comment

Working...
            X