2007 A4 2.0T Intake Manifold Removal DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 A4 2.0T Intake Manifold Removal DIY

DON'T DIY!!! Pay someone a lot of money to do this for you and be happy you didn't do it!!

I followed the Bentley manual instructions and looked at some walk-throughs online (for transverse VWs mostly, couldn't find much for Audis). The instructions are fairly detailed and accurate, right up to the end where it simply says "remove the screws securing the manifold" (with no indication of how many or where all of the screws are, luckily they are all accessible with a 6"+ extension on a 1/4" drive ratchet through cutouts in the manifold) and "carefully remove the manifold". I got stuck about 5 hours in with the manifold pulled an inch out and it wouldn't move any further.

So I hit the internet again and found a video with 3 excellent recommendations: undo the upper coolant hardline and tie it up out of the way, remove the high pressure fuel pump entirely, and remove the alternator (I didn't but would have made much more room). I also separated the coolant line at the front of the block because it was hanging up the manifold, might not have been needed with the alternator removed.

Now I'm cleaning the nastiness out with Sea Foam. It is working quite well so far. Getting brushes in around the valves has been tricky, settled on a toothbrush with a filed down head and acid brushes.

Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: 2007 A4 2.0T Intake Manifold Removal DIY

All done cleaning the carbon out. Re-assembly was MUCH easier, especially with the parts out of the way mentioned above.

The pics don't do it justice, this is the before of #4. The far end was horribly crusted, worse than any of the others by far. I ended up scraping the worst of it off before putting the seafoam on and it came out the best I think.

This is the after, again the pic doesn't show how clean it actually is. The original finish was showing on the valves.
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Working...
    X