‘06 Mini JCW - Jacktown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ‘06 Mini JCW - Jacktown

Looking good and great work on the new wheels, those are one of the best OEM options.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Ok so the rear suspension is toast. It’s fine and tolerable under normal driving but can be made to hit its own bump stops in the rear when hitting adventurous road while driving spiritedly. I might as well just get Coilovers and I’ll look in to replacing all the bushings while I’m at it.
      It’s fast, but it’s not as quick as it could be. I doubt plugs have ever been changed. There’s a bit of oil weeping from the top of the block and so I’ll do a head gasket. While in that far I might as well take care of the broken / leaky engine top mount and a few other bits. Maybe replace the ignition leads and service a few of the items on the supercharger like the pulley tensioner - they don’t last forever on these cars and are often overlooked. It’s hard not to go overboard with - night as well do this, then that etc. It’s such a lovely clean car body wise, it’s just lacked a living keeper for the last 4-5 years.

I found a few neat NLA pieces in the classifieds including the thicker Alcantara JCW Steering Wheel and shifter so I grabbed them while they were still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Love the shifter and the chunkier steering wheel Nick!
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Cheers Rod! More to come

While I’m waiting I’ve added some after market rear grilles.

The OEM ones are missing (quite common that they were never applied at the dealer) and are stickers. These are metal and have really nice detail.
          I initially didn’t paint black behind them and they looked like **** - so as you can see I went back and corrected them. Pretty happy with how they’ve turned out.

Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Grilles look good. Back to your film removal, yeah, that is a terrible job! I re-did my passat a couple years back!
            Last edited by stefan; 09-25-2020, 11:12 AM.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

‘06 Mini JCW - Jacktown

Originally posted by stefan View Post
              Grilles look good. Back to your film removal, yeah, that is a terrible job! I re-did my passat a couple years back!
              I’m glad you agree with me because when I was 20%’if the way through the job I wished I haven’t started it. Just brutal!

I hit a new hood scoop to see if I can stuff more air in to the top mounted intercooler. From memory, these suffer heavily from heat soak in bitter weather so anything you can to to force cool air in to that intercooler is helpful. It came primed but needed a little sanding and reprising before a test fit.

And here it is, painted and out back on the car. A lot of folks would have done this in a contrasting colour like black, but I like that this mini is fairly unique without having the bonnet stripes or contrasting roof / mirrors.

I’ve also added grilles in front of the fog lights in the lower corners of the front bumper. While at it I added quite a few bugs to the front bumper too.

Last edited by jacktown; 09-25-2020, 10:45 PM.
              Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

‘06 Mini JCW - Jacktown

I’ve been stocking up on a few things. I’ve gone overboard but I think it’s worth it. We’ll see.

Alta adjustable Rear Sway Bar - this’ll really help in the fun department
                Powerflex Bushings: Front Control Arm Bushing, Lower Engine Mount Small Bushing, Lower Engine Mount Large Bushing, Rear Trailing Arm Front Bushing Set, Rear Shock Top Mount Bushing Set - all bushings on the car are original
                Flat-out Coilovers - KW Clubsport feature equivalent
                Front turn signal replacements (mine are cracked)
                Brembo JCW Big Break Kit (Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Fluid, aluminum lines) - this is the 4/2piston kit which was an upgrade from the next generation car (this car currently has a 2/1 kit)
                R56 Rear Trailing Arms - lighter aluminum trailing arms from the next generation car
                OEM replacement End Links
                Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve - will help spool faster
                Craven Speed 17% reduced size Supercharger pulley
                Replacement belt tensioner
                Serpentine Belt
                Kingsborn Ignition Wires
                Brisk plugs - colder running plugs
                Screaming Deamon Coil
                Canton Coolant overflow tank - stock plastic ones tend to split and dump fluid while driving
                Upper Hydraulic Mount - need to do quite a bit of clean up where the old mount has leaked everywhere
                Helix Short Shift Adaptor
                OEM Radiator
                OEM AC cooler
                OEM Power Steering Fan
                OEM Rad support
                New Bosch Battery
                Hood and Trunk Struts
                15mm spacers and matching bolts all around
                Replacement side markers

Last edited by jacktown; 09-29-2020, 11:18 PM.
                Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

It will be a nearly brand new go kart after all that!!!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                    It will be a nearly brand new go kart after all that!!!
                    I agree! Should be a nice setup!
                    Stefan
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Work is underway.

The gunk in the second picture is hydraulic fluid from one of the engine mounts that had leaked everywhere. Got it sanded down and repainted while in there.

Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

‘06 Mini JCW - Jacktown

Engine bay is back together. Looking and feeling really fresh with the new ignition cables, coil and coolant reservoir. Gave everything a really good clean while in there and it’s mostly shined up like new.

Next up is the brakes, suspension, trailing arms, ball joints, bushings etc. I love the design of these R56 OEM JCW brakes made by Brembo - they aped the Mini badge with their shape - not sure I’ve ever seen that done before.

Last edited by jacktown; 10-11-2020, 11:44 AM.
                        Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Awesome. Yeah, those breaks will look great!
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

‘06 Mini JCW - Jacktown

The rear 2 piston brakes are on. They also needed different handbrake cables which I didn’t account for ahead of time. I’d ordered some drilled/ slotted rotors to match the fronts but they sent the wrong size so in the meantime I’ll use these that came in the OEM kit. Also visible here are the R56 aluminum trailing arms, new coilovers and the new adjustable sway bar.

I’m loving the front set up and hope the 4piston upgrade stops as good as it looks. New coilovers in too. It’s a bit goofy that you can’t dial in camber without unbolting them from the strut towers but I’ll live.

Last edited by jacktown; 10-12-2020, 09:23 PM.
                            Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Coming along well!!!
                              Blair

Comment

Oh boy this is so cool. Add me to the "almost bought a 1st gen BMW mini more than once" club. Super jealous of how much you picked this JCW up for!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
                                Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
                                ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
                                PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Working...
                                X