Small Leak in High Pressure Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Leak in High Pressure Fuel Pump

Went to wash the car this morning and when I opened the hood to wipe around the engine bay I noticed a fuel smell and a faint hissing sound. Looking along the passenger side bank of the engine I saw what appeared to be oil residue but soon realized it was fuel.

The hissing sound was coming from the passenger side High Pressure Fuel Pump and I could see a small puddle of fuel bubbling in a small hole where the sound was coming from. Not sure if this is a case where something needs to be tightened (I had a carbon clean and intake spacers installed a couple of months ago) or if more likely the HPFP needs replacing.

Here is a video of the hissing noise where you can also see the little bit of fuel bubbling:

And some pics of each side of the engine to show the extent of where it had been leaking...

Passenger side where the leak is:

Drivers side for comparison:

Both sides in view:

I'm going to take the car into TuneDub first thing tomorrow morning to see if I can get it fixed, but is it even safe to be driving it in the meantime / at all? I can't imagine with the heat the engine generates + the hot weather that having a fine mist of fuel leaking out under the hood is good. Should I be arranging for a flat bed to take the car to shop tomorrow?
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Re: Small Leak in High Pressure Fuel Pump

Hopefully you can just replace the faulty part and not the entire HPFP. If the whole unit needs replacing, it'll be around a $1K. If you care, might want to consider just replacing both and looking at the JHM upgraded ones too.

As for driving it... Hmmm. Yeah, not sure any fuel spray in a hot engine bay is ever a good idea. Obviously the risk increases based on the distance you need to drive. A tow is definitely the safest and most expensive route. Barring that... I'd definitely have a fire extinguisher ready to go just in case you turn into a real life hot Ferrari video. Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to take any chances. I wound up booking a flatbed for tomorrow morning to get the car over to TuneDub. Texted George this afternoon and he can squeeze it in tomorrow to get it it fixed.

I did some trouble-shooting via text with Bob this afternoon and it looks like the regulator on the HPFP is toast so will need to get a new one. Will probably get both done just so I don't have to worry about the other one conking out on me, but we'll see what George says after he takes a look.

Has not been a good week for the ol' girl! But at least I caught it when I did and won't need to post a "my engine caught fire" thread :P
      2008 Audi RS4
      2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        But at least I caught it when I did and won't need to post a "my engine caught fire" thread :P
        Amen to that! Today on YouTube: Super-Widebody RS4 catches Fire!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Rob
        Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
        Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Off to TuneDub this morning!

2008 Audi RS4
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Damn it looks nice on the flatbed!
            Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
            -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
            -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Yup whole assembly needs to be replaced, unfortunately (for non car people) usually they have been superseded a number of times and need to be replaced in pairs. We've replaced a bunch.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                Damn it looks nice on the flatbed!
                I thought the same thing so I took a bunch of pics as it looked kinda cool:

Picked up the car from George's this afternoon and all is well!
                2008 Audi RS4
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Such a good looking car.

Comment

sounds even better

glad u got it fixed

i'm disappointed in the new rs4/rs5

no sound, base panamera motor, barely revs past 6k, slushbox no dsg, WTF

garbage!!! this is the first time i'm dissing audi i think lol
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Searched up high pressure fuel pump leak and amazingly I ended up back here. Haha.

Anyway mine started leaking on the driver side just the black connector, going to see George ASAP. Also mine coolant tank looks ready to be replaced.

Comment

all done, new pump, new coolant tank, fresh oil for the winter. thanks tunedub

Comment

Nice! Might be worth ordering just the replacement sensors if you plan on keeping the car. I haven't seen them locally but they are definitely available online now.
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Nice I’ll keep that in mind. Luckily this was the cheap pump. Right side is double the price.

Comment

Working...
                            X