Clarkson, Hammond & May Sunday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top Gear Sunday!

Apparently they met with the producer of top gear in secret today to talk about that. The producer and some other high level staff are supposed to walk off the show I guess

Rumour is Netflix will put out a "top gear like" program

It will be back, different name but still the same show - and free HD! yaaay
    Last edited by Ponto; 03-26-2015, 05:51 PM.
    2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
    2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
    2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

-Mike

Comment

Like I said I think there is a good chance we might have two shows the BBC version and the Netflix version coming so perhaps this will be a win for everyone now.

Not sure I support the conspiracy theory as the producer did visit A&E (Ambulance and Emergency) after the 'fracas' so not sure that is all staged.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/a...com-2015-03-27

from Top Gear;

As you'll have heard, the BBC Director-General Tony Hall has delivered his Clarkson verdict. As you'll also have heard, the Beeb won't renew JC's contract when it expires in a few days.

First up, we'd like to thank all of you for your comments and feedback through this difficult period. Believe us, we have been taking it all on board - even the really shouty bits - and we're sorry that the nature of the investigation meant we couldn't engage in the discussion before now.

None of us has found the past month easy, and we know some of you suspect this spells the end for Top Gear.

It doesn't. The DG's statement confirmed that the BBC will work to renew Top Gear TV for 2016, and of course we'll bring you any news on that front as soon as we have it.

In the meantime, TopGear.com will continue to bring you the sharpest, funniest automotive coverage, the biggest exclusives and the oddest road trips. Right now, there's more astonishing stuff going on in the world of cars than ever before, and we reckon you deserve to know about it.

That isn't to underestimate the incalculable contribution of JC to making Top Gear what it is. He's a big, big hole to fill, and the team you've trusted to make the world's greatest motoring show will be figuring out over the coming months exactly how to do that.

And, while we're here, we'd also like to take this chance to give a shout out to Top Gear TV's brilliant production team, who are unquestionably the most talented in the business.

So go for it. The comments are open and we're listening.
          Last edited by jonnie5; 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM.
          MKV GTI
          '73 Westfalia

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
            Not sure I support the conspiracy theory as the producer did visit A&E (Ambulance and Emergency) after the 'fracas' so not sure that is all staged.
            Well, obviously he is in on it. If he was truly injured, there would be photos all over the internet. There is zero chance that British media would not publish pictures.

Comment

Conspiracy theory?? There are no winners in this chain of events so there is no motivation. Jeremy did assault the producer. No one, including Clarkson, is denying that. Since the police have the BBC report and are doing their own investigation, it would not be surprising to see Jeremy see some form of charge.

Unfortunately, regardless of his brilliance as a presenter and creator on a fantastic show, Clarkson's actions, on that night, has set this unfortunate chain of events in motion. Clarkson sold his ownership in the content and format of the show for a substantial amount of money, and those contracts come with a lot of non compete language. I imagine no one involve would have predicted that the BBC and the trio would have ever been put into this situation. Hard facts are, as the dust settles and there are meetings to see what direction both sides can legally go forward on, Jeremy most like will not be able to involved in any show that in any form is the same as the format and content he sold to the BBC. Most creative not competes usually are for 3-5 years.

My prediction is that, May continues with science type shows , Hamster continues with top gear on the BBC and the show returns as a great show but a shadow of the current one, Clarkson continues as and automotive journalist until the point that whatever non compete language expires and we some sort of revival on the BBC.

Comment

Of course he admitted it. THAT is the point.

Motivation... Their contract were going to renew on April 1 for three years. Clarkson hates the BBC and most likely got a deal with another network where he retains full control. They most likely have an anti-compete clause in the contract that would have prevented them quitting and starting elsewhere. By getting fired, he is legally free of any anti-compete clause in the UK.

Within 6 months we will see a new show with the three of them and the executive producer.

Comment

Non-competes are rock solid in any country when someone is fired with cause. The BBC had cause to fire Jeremy. Non-compete and non disclosure contracts would be useless if you could just get yourself fired. If you were let go due to downsizing or some other reason that was without cause, then you would have a case to fight a non-compete but you would have to fight it if the business you left was still and operating entity.

Keep in mind there would be some sort of Non-compete in Clarkson's Employment contract and separately in his sale agreement of his IP in the Show.
                  Last edited by bobkatkat; 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

He was not fired. They choose to not renew his contract. He is being paid out to the end of the contract. I will guarantee that by UK law they cannot hold him to any non compete clause.

Comment

from Road & Track;

Right on the heels of the BBC's announcement that the remaining episodes of Top Gear Season 22 will be aired sometime this year, cohost James May is coming out with a strong proclamation: He simply won't return to the show without Jeremy Clarkson.

That's what the BBC star and, apparently, weird hat aficionado told The Guardian at length today, emphasizing that the show just wouldn't be the same without Clarkson.

"Me and Hammond with a surrogate Jeremy is a non-starter, it just wouldn't work," May told The Guardian. "That would be lame, or 'awks' as young people say.

"It has to be the three of us. You can't just put a surrogate Jeremy in and expect it to carry on. It would be forced. I don't believe they would be stupid enough to try that.

"I don't think you could carry on with two people and put someone in as the new Jeremy because they are not going to be the new Jeremy. That would be short sighted and I don't think it would work. Virtually impossible.

"It doesn't mean I won't go back, we may all go back in the future. It might just be we have a break from it. I don't know."

May's comments highlight a fact about Clarkson's dismissal that many seem to have overlooked during the unfolding fracas: While the star was suspended and production of the show was put on hold, Clarkson's eventual dismissal was not an outright ban. The star's contract, which ran out at the end of the current season, was simply not renewed, leaving open the possibility of Clarkson returning to the BBC.

"In the future when all this has blown over there might be an opportunity for three of us to get back together on the BBC to do Top Gear or a car show of some sort," May told The Guardian. "The BBC haven't completely closed the door on Jeremy's return. They've not banned him or fired him, only just not renewed his contract for the moment. It's a subtle difference but an important one."

May also acknowledged the possibility that the Top Gear trio might reunite for an automotive project with a rival broadcaster—rumor has it Clarkson has been in talks with Netflix—though Captain Slow hinted that one or more of the presenters may have a non-compete clause to contend with before that becomes a possibility.

Meanwhile, BBC's Kim Shillinglaw has confirmed that there will be a Season 23 of Top Gear—though given May's claim that he won't return without Clarkson, the next season could look very different from what we're used to.
                      MKV GTI
                      '73 Westfalia

Comment

from Carscoops;

While Jeremy is out saying he’s already working on another show, a venture where he will probably be followed by his two former co-hosts, the BBC is not standing still either. They just announced that it will, in fact, be airing the final two episodes.

We have no idea when they’re going to do that, but it will happen sometime “this summer,” according to Kim Shillinglaw, BBC 2’s controller.

The BBC is also still looking for a replacement presenter to fill Clarkson’s shoes. What’s interesting is that there’s a chance said new presenter may be a woman, as the broadcasting company did admit it was considering either gender for the position.

Shillinglaw said “we'll definitely look at some women but it's not a driving priority.”

So, it’s clearly not an end of anything, simply several new beginnings: Top Gear will live on in an altered state, while Clarkson and the gang will continue to make fun of other countries, people and, well, everything really, on a new show which will be picked up by a big name network as it’s already presumably going to be a cash cow; at least that’s what being repeated around the web – could it really be Netflix?
                        MKV GTI
                        '73 Westfalia

Comment

The latest rumors:

A new report coming from UK indicates the former Top Gear presenters are indeed cooking up a brand new show.

Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond are allegedly negotiating with Netflix for a new show which is believed to be called "House of Cars", a nod to Netflix's very successful "House of Cards" political drama series starring Kevin Spacey. The trio will reportedly work together once again with former Top Gear producer Andy Wilman.

A source close to the matter cited by Mirror says "If it goes ahead, they're planning to call it House of Cars, which is just genius."

As for the Top Gear show, it will apparently be back in 2016 with Philip Glenister, Jodie Kidd, Guy Martin. Until then, BBC will air sometime this year the three remaining episodes of series 22 which won't contain any studio scenes.
                          Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

The BBC has announced Chris Evans has signed a three-year deal to host Top Gear.

Little is known about the revamped series but the BBC said production will start in the "next few weeks and more information will be announced in due course."

In a statement, the radio personality said "I’m thrilled, Top Gear is my favorite program of all time. Created by a host of brilliant minds who love cars and understand how to make the massively complicated come across as fun, devil-may-care and effortless. When in fact of course, it's anything but and that's the genius of Top Gear's global success." He went on to praise his predecessors by saying "I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward."

There is also a trailer for the lost Series 22 episodes so they should be shown soon...

Blair

Comment

Chris Evans only took the job after is was confirmed Hammond and May were officially out, so we are looking more and more like we should have two shows now...
                              Blair

Comment

I heard they are holding auditions for the the other two replacements...
                                --
                                Rod
                                Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                                2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Working...
                                X