How not to pay UPS/DHL/Fedex Brokerage fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to pay UPS/DHL/Fedex Brokerage fees

UPS/Fedex/DHL/etc... participates in a CBSA program called LVS or The Courier Low Value Shipment Program.

This means you can pay the duties yourself on any parcel with a value of less than $1600 and not pay any brokerage fees!

You can pay all government fees outstanding for an international shipment in any CBSA office offering the service of Inland Customs Office. It is legal and in no way restricted. Once all government fees are paid, the shipment can be cleared for delivery by UPS with no need for further CBSA involvement.

UPS/FEDEX/DHL/.... are now cooperating with this process as people have gotten wise to it.

How to do this:

You need 2 (possibly 3) documents to present to the CBSA.

Call the shipping service, reference the tracking number and tell them you want to Self Clear, OR if you are talking to the driver, tell the driver in person. CBSA says you can self clear within 1 month of your parcel arriving in Canada (or as long as the shipping service keeps it in the warehouse).

To Call the UPS brokerage department directly, bypassing the normal agents and long wait time, Dial the the main UPS 1-800 number and select option 3 to got to international shipments and brokerage.

Shipping company people may try to tell you it's impossible to self clear or mislead you on the process or give you conflicting information. If they aren't cooperating with the process ask for the supervisor or hang up and call again until you get a person who will help you.

1 - The document you need is a commercial invoice. This is a form usually filled out by the shipper with item details and value amounts.

The optional document you may be get is called a manifest or cargo control document. UPS may call it a "SUMMARY SHEET". If you can't get the cargo control document it's ok as CBSA will let you clear with just the commercial invoice.

Get the document(s) emailed or faxed to you.

2 - The second document is the Paypal (or whatever form of payment) receipt.

Print all documents out on paper! CBSA does not accept emails or pictures on your phone.

Go to the CBSA office present your forms and pay the couple of dollars of duties required.

They will give you another form. The form given to you by the Border Services Agent is called a B-15 and proves that all required taxes, duties and fees have been paid to the government for your shipment. You need to provide this document to UPS and ask them to release your shipment and schedule it for immediate delivery.

Scan/Fax the B-15 to the UPS warehouse fax number, It's very important that you quote the UPS tracking number on this fax.

Then ask them to deliver your parcel!
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM.

Re: How not to pay UPS/DHL/Fedex Brokerage fees

Seems like one hell of a process. Probably better off just paying lol...

Comment

I was forced to do this once for a piece of art that came up from the US via DHL quite a few years back and in order to pay the CBSA I had to go to the airport and you know how long it takes to get an agent to come over to that booth compared with the arriving passengers section and the happy look on their face was really worth the savings!! If you want to do this much running around I think having things sent to the boarder is probably a better option.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

If you are in Vancouver, why wouldn't you just ship it to Point Roberts or Blaine and hop across the border and pick it up? This seems like a lot of hassle. I regularly ship items to Point Roberts. Its about a 25min drive from East Vancouver, the line-ups are usually small, I get cheap gas for the Audi, and I usually dont end up even paying any tax.

Comment

This is because sometimes you buy something and the seller ships it via UPS/Fedex/DHL instead of USPS as you requested, for whatever reason if you have received this "brokerage fee" crap I have now provided you with how not to pay an excessive fee.

Shipping via USPS will have the item delivered to you via Canada post, CP charges just the import duties ( a few dollars) and not any brokerage fees.

Originally posted by EDOthug View Post
          No way, UPS brokerage fees are 100%-50% of the value of the item!

It's also not difficult, the hardest part comes from getting the documents from UPS customer service.

Simplified version:
          1 - Get commercial invoice emailed from UPS, print it out
          2 - Print out paypal/payment receipt
          3 - Give to CBSA and pay a few dollars in duties, get the B15 showing you paid the duties
          4 - Fax B15 to UPS and tell them to deliver your parcel
          Last edited by witchcraftz; 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

If you import via Fedex, get an account (can do online). Have them charge the customs fees to your account and there will be no brokerage fee. If the part(s) are for a car more than 25 years old, there should be no duty, using the tariff code 9966.00.00

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...2014-3-eng.pdf
            The following vehicles, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the
            date of importation, and articles for use solely or principally with those
            vehicles
            :

Motor vehicles principally designed for the transport of persons or
            goods (other than vehicles specially designed for travelling on snow,
            golf cars and similar vehicles, and dumpers designed for off-highway
            use);
            Last edited by Red90; 08-07-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
              Simplified version:
              1 - Get commercial invoice emailed from UPS, print it out 5 minutes
              2 - Print out paypal/payment receipt 5 minutes
              3 - Give to CBSA and pay a few dollars in duties, get the B15 showing you paid the duties hour or two?
              4 - Fax B15 to UPS and tell them to deliver your parcel 5 minutes but a delay in delivery of a few days?
              Seems like if you have to actually go to the office like you suggest it would take a few hours of your time and the time delay may be a few days until you can get to the CBSA office and pay if you typically work and are a busy person like 80% of us on here.

I would rather pay the $80 and not waste a few hours of my time and a few days delay in a package if i want it. If i'm in no rush then absolutely there is some merit, but we typically like cars parts ASAP

Comment

This is because sometimes you buy something and the seller ships it via UPS/Fedex/DHL instead of USPS as you requested, for whatever reason if you have received this "brokerage fee" crap I have now provided you with how not to pay an excessive fee.

Shipping via USPS will have the item delivered to you via Canada post, CP charges just the import duties ( a few dollars) and not any brokerage fees.

No way, UPS brokerage fees are 100%-50% of the value of the item!

It's also not difficult, the hardest part comes from getting the documents from UPS customer service.

Simplified version:
                1 - Get commercial invoice emailed from UPS, print it out
                2 - Print out paypal/payment receipt
                3 - Give to CBSA and pay a few dollars in duties, get the B15 showing you paid the duties
                4 - Fax B15 to UPS and tell them to deliver your parcel
                Canada Post will charge you a handling fee (around $10) and CBSA determines the amount of duties/taxes to charge. Canada Post has no control over this part.

I agree this post is helpful if you are shipping from the US to Canada and not using USPS. As I said earlier, ship it to the border and pick it up if possible. Often free shipping, and more often than not no taxes/duties whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by EDOthug View Post
                  My thoughts too.
                  Mitch

1996 Harlequin
                  2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Done it before. Takes all of 20 minutes. Super easy and saved me tons of $$$

Pat

His
                    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                      Seems like if you have to actually go to the office like you suggest it would take a few hours of your time and the time delay may be a few days until you can get to the CBSA office and pay if you typically work and are a busy person like 80% of us on here.

I would rather pay the $80 and not waste a few hours of my time and a few days delay in a package if i want it. If i'm in no rush then absolutely there is some merit, but we typically like cars parts ASAP
                      You can go to any Inland office, so depending on how close it could take a bit of time to drive there (there is one in downtown Calgary btw).

However if you are so pressed for that part that you cannot wait 1 day for UPS to redeliver, I would hazard a guess that you just would have gone to the dealership and bought it local anyway.

And the reason for doing this is because I don't like getting screwed by companies that charge for a service never performed, UPS does not actually need to do anything, when the parcel comes in, the cargo manifest is given to CBSA and they provide an instant cost based on the total value of everything in that entire shipment. At the end of a month the CBSA sends an invoice to UPS for that amount - if not paid. In return UPS charges you $$$ for invoicing the duties to you!

On a parcel of $150 you can expect about $60 of brokerage fees and $7.50 of actual duties.
                      Last edited by witchcraftz; 08-07-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I've self cleared a package before. Took a couple of hours, with the driving to warehouse, then the NE CBA office (there was no office in DT when I self cleared about 5 years ago) and then back to the warehouse. When a package is not cleared at the border, it needs to be received at a bonded warehouse in town. You will pay a storage fee for the time that the package is at the bonded warehouse until you remove it. It was described to me as the clock starts ticking as soon as the driver steps out of the cab of the truck. So in order to save, you must be ready to go to the warehouse when it lands to do the processing or you're going to accumulate fees. In the end I might have saved a couple hundred dollars clearing it myself, but after factoring in time off work, the time spent driving around, and transporting a large item from the warehouse instead of having it delivered to my door, I wouldn't do it again.

Comment

On a parcel of $150 you can expect about $60 of brokerage fees and $7.50 of actual duties.
                          Although I do nto like UPS, there is no need to exaggerate.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
                          $150 package is a $29 brokerage fee.

Comment

I have a $150 parcel waiting for me right now with $60 of brokerage fees.

Comment

I had a small parcel - approx 15-20$ that had 30$ worth of fees (brokerage plus duty) on it once. Couldn't figure it out. Fortunately the seller was really good - the had shipped by UPS by accident as I had asked for USPS, so they compensated me for the extra costs (basically got their product free in the end). I've been able to just not use companies that use UPS for the most part.
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X