Gas Milage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Milage!!

GAS milage1.8T last weekend coming back from my folks in B.C.
    http://www.newveedub.com/forums/atta...tid=1267&stc=1
    http://www.newveedub.com/forums/atta...tid=1268&stc=1

km/litresx2.83=mpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lars; 08-31-2005, 09:54 PM.
    12 Volvo XC 90
    03 Jetta1.8T
    95 Cabrio VRT
    90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Re: Gas Milage!!

Originally posted by Lars
    GAS milage1.8T last weekend coming back from my folks in B.C.

How to post pics need help there are selected but not showing?
    Hey Lars, go to www.tinypic.com and click browse for the pic you want to post, hit upload and cut and paste the link to the newly uploaded pic. It's as easy as Sunday morning!
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Comment

pretty good for straight highway! the best i ever did was 720ish that was 75% highway the last 1/4 of my tank went to city driving..

Comment

That works out to be over 45 mpg (5.21L/100km). That's 30% over spec, on a mountain road. The best ever posted on a 1.8 that I've seen was 34. EPA tests which are virtually flat, controlled, and minimum stop get 33. A Toyota echo is rated at 41. So unless you started dramatically higher than you ended up, something else is at work here. Are you running odd sized wheels?

Khyron
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

When I drove to and from Pentiction last year I was nearing 700km when the light binged. I was also maintaining speeds well well over 100 km/h.

I was VERY pleased with the results and I am sure it would have been better if I had my SPS3 at the time.

Originally posted by Khyron
          That works out to be over 45 mpg (5.21L/100km). That's 30% over spec, on a mountain road. The best ever posted on a 1.8 that I've seen was 34. EPA tests which are virtually flat, controlled, and minimum stop get 33. A Toyota echo is rated at 41. So unless you started dramatically higher than you ended up, something else is at work here. Are you running odd sized wheels?

Khyron

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGTI
            When I drove to and from Pentiction last year I was nearing 700km when the light binged. I was also maintaining speeds well well over 100 km/h.
            700km to reserve is 32ish, right on spec. 850 on 4/5 tank is the question. To really drive it home, on that ratio (45 mpg) if he kept going he would be over 1000kms when the reserve warning went off.

Khyron
            Geoff

Comment

Wasn't speeding 100 to95 in-laws were traveling with us in there own car and he doesnt speed at all wife drove for 1/2 and I drove the rest I took the pics cause Icouldn't beleive it myself and I know that no one would belive me unless I had proof!
              12 Volvo XC 90
              03 Jetta1.8T
              95 Cabrio VRT
              90 G60 Corrado

Comment

thats damn good for your 1.8t

makes me think id be happy with a 1.8t if i got one
                Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                  Wasn't speeding 100 to95 in-laws were traveling with us in there own car and he doesnt speed at all wife drove for 1/2 and I drove the rest I took the pics cause Icouldn't beleive it myself and I know that no one would belive me unless I had proof!
                  I don't think you're making it up, but there's a line that goes into impossible territory. Sort of like getting a dyno that says 300 hp on a stock car.

Getting 1000kms on a tank of gas with a TDI is a good day - but with a 1.8T? If your wheels are in spec (25 inches true diameter) and you're 100% positive that you reset the trip computer then I dunno what to tell you.

Normally you have to do many fillups to get accurate readings (because you don't fill the tank to the same line every time) but the picture of 1/4 tank still left and 850 on the clock makes that null and void.

Driving my supra back from BC, I only got 380 kms before I had to fill up, and I was like WTF. Then I measured distances to towns, comparing to my trip meter and discovered my speedo/odo was off by 21% due to overlarge tires (I hope only that). That also explained why everyone in BC seemed to be going so slow.

Just for interest sake, where exactly did you fill up to begin your trip, and where did you get the fillup above? I'm guessing Golden?

BTW - what's the CEL on for?

Khyron
                  Last edited by Khyron; 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM.
                  Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron

BTW - what's the CEL on for?

Khyron
                    faulty distance and/or fuel tank sensors
                    EU Tuning
                    European Performance Products
                    www.eutuning.ca
                    slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Well I checked his route, and 100 mile house to CY is 814kms or so, so add in some town driving and there you have his 845. I drive the Merrit -> CY route every year but I go fast and the road to Kamloops is like 9000 feet (700km from CY).

But if he started in 100 mile house with a full tank and didn't gas up till CY, there's no explanation other than his car really made it that far (incl Rogers Pass). Sensors and tires don't magically move the car. So he must have had one sweet tailwind, and been drafting his brother in law. Please don't tell me the AC was on, or the windows were down? I might just explode. Also, what was he driving to get the same mileage?

Khyron
                      Last edited by Khyron; 09-01-2005, 10:30 PM.
                      Geoff

Comment

Pulled an 1100km tank this weekend on my dads whip. Calgary to Jasper...drove around Jasper + to the hotsprings. Then came back to Calgary through the farmish areas using Highway 22. Didn't vent the tank fully and didn't really care too much about driving with fuel economy in mind. Not bad yo.

Comment

i never got 1000 on a highway trip, almost always around 700-800ish, but i think because that big needle in my cluster, on the very left, whatever its for, was always pointing between 4 and 5.
                          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Got gas right by my folks at Sherdian Lake theres a store there About 45 km from 100 Mile took Hiway 24 to the Y-5 then to Kamloops and so on Oem 17's longbeaches The dash lights were on cause the car was not running. Did a lttle driving in Salmon Arm around town and the father in-law was driving a F150 super crew and the best he got was 24-26 ish. the only thing I did to the car was at 32,000 service I put a bottle of intake/fuel sytem cleaner in but that was a couple tanks before we went on our trip. Icouldn't beleive th milage either
                            Last edited by Lars; 09-02-2005, 03:20 PM.
                            12 Volvo XC 90
                            03 Jetta1.8T
                            95 Cabrio VRT
                            90 G60 Corrado

Comment

Damn.... I only managed 6.5l/100km on the highway while you got 5.2.... Didn't mean to bump this thread because Lars made me..lololol
                              Current Fleet
                              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786
                              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X