2-channel amp to fit in stock monsoon location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-channel amp to fit in stock monsoon location

I'm looking for a decent 2-channel amp that can fit in the stock monsoon mounting location in a mk4 Golf.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recomendations?

also, when my system was stolen, the theives cut the speaker, 4 ga power & ground, and the RCA cables really short. Am I better off re-running all of that or can I simply solder on extensions for the speaker and RCA cables without adding noise?

Thanks

Tim
    Tim
    "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Re: 2-channel amp to fit in stock monsoon location

Solder extensions onto the cut wires and you'll be fine there.

Any amp will fit but you will need to figure out how to mount it yourself - there is no company that makes some kind of bolt-on solution AFAIK.

I would just take the car to Audio Concepts and see if they can offer a suggestion (if you're in Calgary). I am sure they can help.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yah, i can do the mount fab and everything myself. I was just curious if anyone has already done this and had a suggestion for an amp that would fit.
      Tim
      "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

You may know this already, but the Monsoon system came equipped with an amp and speakers that were matched. AFAIK the speakers do not have any crossovers on them, the amp did all the crossover functions. As well, the speakers are all different and weird impedances. So I don't think it's very easy to drop in an aftermarket amp in place of the Monsoon amp. You may know this all already and have planned for it, but if you don't then you should do some research.
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by zilla View Post
          Yah, i can do the mount fab and everything myself. I was just curious if anyone has already done this and had a suggestion for an amp that would fit.
          Again any amp would fit, just take a tape measure, measure the size then go down to your local electronics store and buy one that fits?

Or post the measurements of the space here and I can find you some amps online.

Be VERY careful about mounting amps UPSIDE DOWN. You are NOT supposed to do this as most of the time the heat sinks are on TOP of the components. If you mount upside down you may fry your amp eventually or melt the solder holding components to the board!!!

Edit: Billip is also correct, you can't just run any old aftermarket amp to Monsoon speakers. If you need to replace this amp the easiest thing to do is to replace the entire system, including wiring and speakers, which is a lot of work.
          Last edited by Kor; 05-18-2007, 10:40 AM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Kris it shouldn't matter if an amp is mounted upside down on most newer amps. Not a lot of amps have fins on the top anymore so the heat radiation pattern is not as much of an issue. I have had my JL amps mounted upside down in an semi sealed space for a long time with no problems. Electrons don't care which way they are facing and if an amp ever gets hot enough to melt solder joints... well lets just say the solder joints would be the least of your problems as you car would more then likely be on fire.
            I remember xtant making some small 2 channel amps but they are a high end pricey amp.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I've also read a number of blurbs from sound places, message boards and Monsoon themselves that state that amping their speakers with other amps will result in crap output. They make up for a number of oddities in the interior and xover points / rates with internal equalization.

I would love to know what you find out when you hook yours up tho. You seem to have a pretty critical ear so I think the pros/cons should be quickly apparant.

Comment

Working...
              X