Custom Trunk setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Trunk setup

My old system from my 03 GTI is just sitting in the garage and I thought I would see if there is any interest in it. I know most people on this forum aren't that big into sound but this setup is pretty nice. Anyways I was thinking around $1,000 for the sub box, amp rack, trim panels and three MTX 12" Subs. I am keeping the amps (they are already installed in my BMW) So a couple amps and some wiring and you would be set. Everything is very overbuilt, but using as light a weight material as possible. The wood used in the sub enclosure is Baltic Birch, it's way lighter than MDF and much stronger too. There are aluminium brackets to bolt the sub box down. I used nutserts in the floor for this, and it could be easily done in a buyers vehicle too. The amp rack isn't that great, I was going to redo it out of 100% aluminium but sold the car before I got to it. Anyways heres some pics of the setup installed.

You can see one of the aluminium brackets in one pic, the bolted through 8 gauge speaker wire, and foam covering to prevent rattles. Also all the speaker screws are glued in threaded inserts. As I said very overbuilt. You could also easily build a grille and still have a very usable hatch with this set up.

Like I said, looking for about $1,000 for it all.
    15 GTI
    65 Beetle
    87 BMW E30

Re: Custom Trunk setup

It does look well built, makes me want to get my old system into my new car. I like your idea with the bolts for the speaker power pass through, I was thinking of doing the same on my next box.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Very nice looking set up. GLWS!
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Very nice!
        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Looks good but for the price you should clean up the amp rack the unfinished wood under the amps just takes away from the look of the install , a grey vinyl instead of carpet would also be nice. Good luck with the sale.
          Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Like I said, the amp rack was supposed to be temporary. If someone wanted I could for sure do a trim panel to cover that up, the only problem is knowing where the holes for wiring would need to be drilled. Another idea I had was to scrap the amp rack altogether and build a custom rear brace/amp rack.

The price is pretty cheap too I think, The subs are $180 each retail, and there is over $400 in materials alone on the work, as well I have about 45 hours into the build. It took me 2 hours just to put in all the inserts for the sub mounts!

And like I said, I will take any reasonable offer.
            15 GTI
            65 Beetle
            87 BMW E30

Comment

Working...
            X