Compustar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compustar

I know some of us were humming and hawing about it last year, but now that I have to drive every day (and no plug ins) I'm definately getting one next month. Just wondering if anyone else is on the fence as well - maybe get a better deal if a few of us go in on it. Research last year shows cost is expensive; about 6-800 bucks due to the install being 8 hours. Benefits - better alarm, remote car starter, turbo timer, etc. Cons - another key fob, $$.

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Re: Compustar

Wow, it should take nobody 6-8 hours to install an alarm/start combo!! I just did one in my dads car (2way aswell) a couple weeks back, and it was the first time in over 2 years that I did it, and it was well under 2.....Now, that being said, I never installed in a VW before, so I don't know how it jives with the comfort control module.....Anyhow, careful with install times, I hate seeing people get ripped by places on that....ie: Quinn
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

No, it's universaly that expensive if you put in the sensors, etc. mk4s are insane to install. And you need to sacrafice your valet key or buy another. One guy offered to do unit+install for 400 - I told him to double check the book and he called back and said yah, it's 8+. Got many quotes, same story on vortex, etc.

Khyron
      Last edited by Khyron; 10-06-2004, 02:34 PM.
      Geoff

Comment

Is Pat still on the boards? He got a compustar done and really liked it from what I remember.
        Geoff

Comment

Just put the deposit down - 1050 bucks for the unit+install with all options except windows down/prox sensor.

Khyron
          Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
            Just put the deposit down - 1050 bucks for the unit+install with all options except windows down/prox sensor.

Khyron
            Where are you getting it done?

Comment

i had a compustar in one of my cars it would start the car on its own roll up and down the windows all the time when i wouldnt tell it to. this was about 5 years ago so i dont know if they have a new brain for it or whats going on just wanted you to know my 2 cents
              Come to La Crosse, First Sat of every month at 7:00pm at H ters for the meeting of NVD south

Comment

i think they are awesome my buddy i work with has one in his truck and he can start/check it from our floor in the 4th basement parking lot beneath us

Comment

I got it done at Audio Concepts Mobile air and sound - the installer knew his **** with VWs which is why I went with them (even with the higher price).

So far it's excellent, but also quirky - sometimes I think the starter is set but it bitches I did something wrong and won't start. But it certainly won't start on its own (unless I set the timer). The close window/sunroof is pretty cool when you are upstairs and see you left the roof open. And the turbo timer is a nice bonus. Expensive, but I'm happy with it.

Khyron
                  Last edited by Khyron; 10-20-2004, 10:15 AM.
                  Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                    I got it done at Audio Concepts Mobile air and sound - the installer knew his **** with VWs which is why I went with them (even with the higher price).

So far it's excellent, but also quirky - sometimes I think the starter is set but it bitches I did something wrong and won't start. But it certainly won't start on its own (unless I set the timer). The close window/sunroof is pretty cool when you are upstairs and see you left the roof open. And the turbo timer is a nice bonus. Expensive, but I'm happy with it.

Khyron
                    have you had any problems with it just starting your car on its own??
                    Come to La Crosse, First Sat of every month at 7:00pm at H ters for the meeting of NVD south

Comment

No - he said the older remote starters used to have a thermostat which would start the car when it got cold. Since that was a crappy way to do things, they rely on timers now instead. So you should never have a startup on its own.

Khyron
                      Geoff

Comment

just was wondering i had mine for 3 weeks and got sick of it and went back to to an alpine alarm

Comment

man you guys are geting ripped off in calgary, there is a shop in reddeer that is installing my compustar 2 way system with the little car on the screen for 500 installed!!!
                          *Wetterauer Chip*Brullen DP*ABD Turbo Inlet Pipe*ABD Upper Strut Bar*C-1 Short Shifter*Forge 007 DV*Supersprtint CatBack*Votex Body Kit*H&R Coilovers*ABD Front Sway Bar*Smoked E-Codes*Velocity CAI*W8 Overhead Console*

Comment

Originally posted by Geo1.8T
                            man you guys are geting ripped off in calgary, there is a shop in reddeer that is installing my compustar 2 way system with the little car on the screen for 500 installed!!!
                            This compustar thing has been badly beaten to death! That sounds like a good deal, but from what I know about alarms, there are many options (example: how many sensors you are having installed, and what they sense) and so I would suspect that a price difference of 50% may not include the same options.

But, maybe we are just getting hosed.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Hosed is what I would say! This coming from an inside source....but hey, I wanred people!
                              2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                              2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                              2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Working...
                              X