Digital Camera 4 Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Camera 4 Sale

Wow, thanks for the input guys! Didnt realize we had this many shutterbugs in the club!

Haha, Bill I knew I could count on you for a Canon sell! To be honest I was already leaning towards the Canon 350D route. I hear what your saying about the 20D... it's sweeter than words can describe. But sadly, the entry price for that camera puts it out of my price range ($1400USD with no lense - Yikes!). I'll browse the miranda site, but I dunno, I'm kinda hesitant to buy used in this case One of the biggest appeals to me for the 350D is the value aspect of it, so I'm trying to avoid upselling myself. I'd LOVE to have a 20D with some crazy glass, but I gotta set (or more accurately, my wallet) limits on the budget. And also like Khyron mentioned, the compactness on the 350D is kinda nice. Great recommendations on the lenses too, I'll def look into those! Just curious, what was your biggest gripe with the previous model that isn't addressed in the updated 350D?
    Derick

Comment

I will say the portability of the D70 is an issue...you're not going to stuff that one in your jacket pocket. But yes it's damn sturdy...dropped twice sturdy...

Comment

Originally posted by Derick
        Wow, thanks for the input guys! Didnt realize we had this many shutterbugs in the club!

Haha, Bill I knew I could count on you for a Canon sell! To be honest I was already leaning towards the Canon 350D route. I hear what your saying about the 20D... it's sweeter than words can describe. But sadly, the entry price for that camera puts it out of my price range ($1400USD with no lense - Yikes!). I'll browse the miranda site, but I dunno, I'm kinda hesitant to buy used in this case One of the biggest appeals to me for the 350D is the value aspect of it, so I'm trying to avoid upselling myself. I'd LOVE to have a 20D with some crazy glass, but I gotta set (or more accurately, my wallet) limits on the budget. And also like Khyron mentioned, the compactness on the 350D is kinda nice. Great recommendations on the lenses too, I'll def look into those! Just curious, what was your biggest gripe with the previous model that isn't addressed in the updated 350D?
        I'm not sure why the 350D is seen as "compact", but the 20D or D70 is not. They are all approximately the same size without lenses... the 350D might be slightly smaller, but not much. And yes, the 350D is a little lighter because it's shell is plastic and not alloy.

My biggest gripe about the XT is probably the lack of scroll wheel. You've got to do some finger yoga to set exposure compensation, which I use pretty frequently. Also using manual mode is made more difficult (no way to easily set the aperture without holding other buttons down). I also like how the 20D has the status screen on the top rather than the back, but that's just personal preference.

You won't be dissapointed in the XT, that's for sure. It's just as capable as the 20D, I just find some of the 20D's features a little handier. But I'm one of those people who want it all... I'd love to have a 1DMkII. One day...
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

if you want the 20D - good deal
          http://www.wisetronics.com/ProductDe...cneos20dk17855

I got the 350D body only from buydig.com $759USD, got it shipped to our US office then inter-office mail to calgary ($936 CAD total)

edit wrote down $659 before
          Last edited by Satnam; 09-23-2005, 11:09 AM.
          put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Originally posted by Billip
            I'm not sure why the 350D is seen as "compact", but the 20D or D70 is not. They are all approximately the same size without lenses... the 350D might be slightly smaller, but not much. And yes, the 350D is a little lighter because it's shell is plastic and not alloy.

(xt=19oz, 20d= 27oz)
            (xt=43 vs 20d 67 cubic inches)

It's more than 35% smaller total volume. My tamron lens is a lot heavier than the kit lens, but walking around all day, I felt the weight. Definately go to the store and hold them though, a lot find the xt too small for their hands, and a lot of people think it feels cheap. If you're planning on buying one of the big 70-200 L lenses, get the 20D. I put one on my xt and it looked retarded as well as being oddly weighted.

Khyron
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

You're right Bill, the size of cameras in the DSLR league is a bit of a mute point since these cameras are not intended for compactness, but rather function. But when I was playing around with them, it's strange how even small differences in size can feel substantial. The 350 just felt much more ergonomic (excluding the lack of the scroll wheel which, you're right, would be sweet to have) Maybe I have small lady-hands or something? lol Check out these comparison pics out though for reference...

I think I'll have to go back and play around with the functions more to see if the holding down multiple buttons thing is too awkward. I don't think it will be though since my Sony had a hold-down function for adjusting WB and F-value when not in aperture priority or manual mode, so I may just be used to it.

Satnam, that seems like a pretty good deal for the 20D. How was your experience with Buydig? I go to a local shop here called Canoga Camera. They have the 350D, body only, for $799, but the guys there usually cut better prices in person, so I'm crossing my fingers on that

Canoga Camera
              Derick

Comment

not a single problem with buydig, It was in our San Diego office within a week of ordering. I placed the order on 8/15, it was shipped 8/16 and tracking number provided (fedex) and delivered 8/18 from Edison, New Jersey.

The company ordered a camera from buydig also, konica minolta A200 - need something idiotproof, on 9/20 and it was delivered 9/22.
                So I would say they are quick.

don't know about wisetronics though.
                put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

I held the XT and the D50 (both in the same league) and I found the XT to be waaayyy too small to hold comfortably with my hands.....hence the D50, smaller than the D70s, with 95% of its function.....have you picked a camera yet?
                  2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                  2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                  2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks
                    I held the XT and the D50 (both in the same league) and I found the XT to be waaayyy too small to hold comfortably with my hands.....hence the D50, smaller than the D70s, with 95% of its function.....have you picked a camera yet?
                    I hear what you're saying. Alas, the XT fits rather comfortably in my dainty hands I decided to go with it since it has the major features I'm looking for and I do like the compactness and value... You'll have to post a follow-up review once you've used your D50 Alex.
                    Derick

Comment

Working...
                    X