New (to me) A4 - dealer options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) A4 - dealer options

The dealer was talking about 3m film, some treatment for the windshield, and extended warranty. Has anyone used the windshield protectant option on their car? Is it worth the $500 for 3 years coverage? I'm also debating the clear bra. I have it on my GTI, but this wagon already has a few small chips on the hood. Should I just forget about the bra and just get a bottle of touch-up paint to fill in the chips as they come? Get one of those big ugly black covers for the winter months?
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: New (to me) A4 - dealer options

SCAM, trust me, do some phoning around and get some quotes,tinting places usually do the 3m stuff... good tint shop should = good 3m shop...

Don't get a black fabric or leather (or w/e it is) bra either that will F**k up your paint. Also the 3m stuff can be a b*tch with pressure washers (peel) and is difficult to keep clean (my experience) but it will protect your paint.

Its kinda like having plastic seat covers on your seats, you'll never wreck your seats but you'll never really enjoy them either.

Remember the dealershit will just contract it out, so your facing a markup for the dealers cut. I had it put on last year when i bought my A4 from Southgate in Edmonton only to find out later that the tint guy who did it was notorious for being an A-hole and doing poor work and I paid way too much for it. Plus they pretty much laughed at me when i showed them how it peeled in a couple spots due to the pressure washer, they also told me its never happened before and it was my fault (standard dealer boilerplate).

window stuff? don't know might be a good idea, my window is F*%$ed already... but i tailgate too... so...

extended warranty, remember theres no such thing as a real warranty especially with a used Audi, plus are you gonna put mods in it?...

/end rant
    Last edited by Coker Rat; 09-13-2007, 09:35 PM.
    Dylan
    (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

I've found if you wax the 3m film and wash the car fairly regularly it does well. I'm just not sure if it makes sense when there are already a few small chips. I've already got a guy that will do the tinting and/or 3m. The only one I'm still considering from the dealer is the diamond-fusion glass treatment. It sounds like a gimmik but if they'll replace my windshield for 3 years it might be worth it.
      Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
      sigpic

Comment

how much?
        Dylan
        (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

About the diamond glass treatement, I got it when I had my Jetta and in 4 months of owning it I only got a couple small chips (keep in mind I commute about 40km 1 way down deerfoot 5 days a week). On my 328 they didn't offer the same thing and I replaced the windsheild after 6 months and I'm well on my way to replacing it again for a second time after another 3 months. Take that what you will but the second time around I think I might approach my old VW dealership and see if they'll do it on my next new windsheild.
          Last edited by nonick; 09-14-2007, 03:54 PM.
          2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

Originally posted by Coker Rat View Post
            how much?
            I think it was $500 for 3 years. I'm going to check a couple glass shops to see how much a replacement (uninsured) would cost. If it's more than say $300 I might go with the coverage just for peace of mind. I hate having to look through bullet holes or a pitted windshield when driving into the sun
            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
            sigpic

Comment

I won't do the 3m stuff again - save the money and just respray at the pros when you find it needs it.

Window insurance - I'd find out the requirements to replace. I'd be surprised if they replace it just because you want to. A certain number of chips or cracks may be required. Remember they are the ones that make money 80% of the time.

Just FYI I commute 50km/day on deerfoot as well as mountain ski trips, and I'm still on my original windshield. 2 chips that were fixed for 30 bucks is all.
              Geoff
              Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Thanks Geoff. I too spend a few hours on the #1 West in search of powder. I have taken a ton of rocks on the GTI, and have several chips fixed on it. I think it's nearly time to replace, and the car is only at 45,000km! I'll definitely check into the 'fine print' of the replacement policy before I sign up for it. What's got me, is how do you make a windshield more durable, they can't cover it with 3M
                Last edited by Silverstoned; 09-15-2007, 09:55 PM.
                Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X