Someone school me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone school me...

on the old Audi 5cyl 20v engines! I know that they were beasts both for reliability and performance...but did they come in both turbo and naturally aspirated?

I'm looking for a winter car, but I don't want a flat out beater...so I've had my eye on some 20v 90q's. So, were all 20v's turbo'd or could you get either or?

TIA
    Kyle
    2000 Audi S4

Re: Someone school me...

c'mon kyle join the leagues with me and rock a 'baron

Comment

find me one with AWD and I will lol!
      Kyle
      2000 Audi S4

Comment

They came NA as well.

Just grab a late '80's 5000 turbo quattro and throw on a bigger turbo with some injectors and you'll be at 400+ hp. Not bad for a winter beater
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
        (403) 690-7135
        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Yeah like Jordan's saying they came in both FI and NA. The 90 Coupe Quattro I picked up last year for beater detail is the NA version, fun little car though with push button rear locking diff. and pwr/htd. everything it's great for the nasty bits of winter that's for sure. Besides I've heard that the AAN (essentially turbo version of same engine) is a relatively easy swap, and with how fun this little car can be with no turbo I certainly wouldn't mind dropping in a turbo version w/ some tweaks to crank up the fun factor a notch or two that's for sure, haha!
          2002 996TT
          2011 S5
          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

The older 5 cyl audi engines were all 10 valve in the n/a 4000, 5000,100 AND 90. All the 10v 5 cyl engines were CIS injection.
            The 10v turbo was in the 1986-88 5000TQ, 200, 200Q. All had CIS injection.
            The 20 valve n/a engines popped up in the 1988 Audi 90, CoupeQ and 200Q. All had electronic fuel injection.
            The 20v turbo was available in 1993 in the S4 then changing to the S6 in 1995 then finishing up in 1997. All had electronic fuel injection.

That is how it was over here in Canada and the U.S. but ... across the pond they had the fire breathing ABY & ADU 20VT in the S2 and RS2 which if you opened the hood and asked it nicely it would be pushing out well over 400hp. They also had the same AAN 20VT as us in the S4 and 200 series cars.
            Service Manager
            Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
            erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

I still think the 5000TQ would be fun, maybe swap in a 20V head, if you must...
              Last edited by The_Jerbel; 05-05-2009, 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling!
              Jordan
              Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
              JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
              (403) 690-7135
              jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

There is a 95 S6 on kijiji for like $4800.
                20VT 227 Hp 258 Tq

I have a 93 S4, i like it.

Usual audi stuff gone bad. driver heated seat doesnt work, valve cover gasket leak, brake sensors flashing. probably seized rear calipers lol. Still fun car, i took out the stock airbox and replaced it with a cone, (warm air intake haha).

My sister thinks the car sounds like an airplane.
                Justin

Comment

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ123556133
                  Justin

Comment

danke for the info...I noticed that S6 on Kijiji, it's a nice little package for sure. We will see what happens
                    Kyle
                    2000 Audi S4

Comment

As far as reliability goes, are the 20v's pretty good? What else goes wrong on the early 90's Audi...just the normal electrical gremlins?
                      Kyle
                      2000 Audi S4

Comment

The Audi 90 is a decent car, it can have some interesting issues which are hard to fix due to lack of available parts and not much aftermarket support.

I'll be honest with you most people here would jump at a decent 90. A service advisor here has a 95 as his girlfriends car (V6 only in that year), and we had a drool fest and a call to the bank for that S6 that was linked above.

Good luck in your search,

Erik
                        Last edited by Parts Erik; 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM.
                        Service Manager
                        Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
                        erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parts Erik View Post
                          The older 5 cyl audi engines were all 10 valve in the n/a 4000, 5000,100 AND 90. All the 10v 5 cyl engines were CIS injection.
                          The 10v turbo was in the 1986-88 5000TQ, 200, 200Q. All had CIS injection.
                          The 20 valve n/a engines popped up in the 1988 Audi 90, CoupeQ and 200Q. All had electronic fuel injection.
                          The 20v turbo was available in 1993 in the S4 then changing to the S6 in 1995 then finishing up in 1997. All had electronic fuel injection.

That is how it was over here in Canada and the U.S. but ... across the pond they had the fire breathing ABY & ADU 20VT in the S2 and RS2 which if you opened the hood and asked it nicely it would be pushing out well over 400hp. They also had the same AAN 20VT as us in the S4 and 200 series cars.
                          Jesus...you're pellethra of knowledge astounds me! Stuff only an experienced parts guru can know.
                          TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
                          PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Someone buy the s6, and then buy the badgeless grill i have for it lol.
                            Justin

Comment

Working...
                            X