Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

So last night I jumped in my car and started the drive home and about 5 minutes into the journey my engine temp warning came on. Seemed strange since the actual temp gauge was still below half. Eventually the temp gauge peaked at the halfway point and started, slowly, making it's way past the mid point. Then the engine temp warning went away. I continued to drive home and eventually the temp gauge started edging back towards the middle. Checked my coolant levels and topped it up a bit and let the car sit. A couple of hours later, went for another drive and never got the engine temp warning, but the gauge did start to move past the middle point again. This seems to happen quicker when stuck in traffic than when actually moving. I've also noticed that the oil temp seems to rise faster than before and hovers around the 100 mark after driving for 20-25 minutes, which seems high-ish.
    On the plus side though, if my engine is running hot it might explain my heatsoak power issues....
    Any thoughts?

Re: Overheating

coolant sensor

replace.. common failure/issue

easy to do.. make sure your car is cold

call Erik at Royal oak parts dept and he'll hook you up

Comment

what is your car?

Faulty temp sensor?

edit: What he said ^^
      Last edited by stefan; 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

The coolant sensor normally reads the other way does it not? Both my coolant sensor failures have been the car running cold. Also the thermostat does a similar thing when it fails but check the coolant temp sensor first.
        2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
        2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
        2001 Audi A4 - RIP
        2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
        2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
        2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
        1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
        2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll swap out the sensor and see if that does the trick. I also picked up a new reservoir cap, although on the drive out to Glenmore Audi the car seemed fine. On the plus side I made it to the dealership just in time to watch them unload three new Audi R8's. The blue one is sick!!!

Comment

Working...
          X