B6 A4 stereo wiring help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 A4 stereo wiring help needed

I am trying to replace the Symphony II head unit with a Pioneer AVH-P3200bt and almost have it connected except for the stuff that is on the CAN BUS.

Research has shown that there are adapters to tie into the CAN BUS, but they also all reference the steering wheel controls. This car doesn't have them.

Basically, I need to get the accessory power (switched 12v I think), dimmer switch and one more thing (I think).

My soldering skills are weak and I am not thrilled about the prospect of really splicing into wires.

Options?

Is there something like butt connectors that crimp onto existing wires?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
    2016 .:R (sold)
    2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
    2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Re: B6 A4 stereo wiring help needed

should be premade harnesses for all this stuff.. check enfigs site?

Comment

enfig car stereo has the harness. I hope you have better luck getting the aftermarket system to sound good I installed a pioneer avic x710 bt in my S4 with bose and I could not get it to sound good everything worked great but could not get rid of the ground loop hum. I used isolators and they worked but you lose frequency response so I took it out and installed the RNS-E and I love it. It makes the bose amp sound better to. Next on my list is to tap the harness and connect a subwoofer and amp to the rear line out at the bose amp.

Comment

metra has the harness too the 70-1787. you could always go from a pin out but it can be tough if you have never done that kinda stuff before.

12v switch i use the retained acc wire from the ign harness at the columb that way its like factory the head unit stays on till you take the key out.

illumination you can get at the light switch but use a test light and make sure you don't have the dimmer wire, it will change from 12v to ground as you adjust the dimmer.

it is pretty simple if you have the can bus harness. oh yea i have a Z3 in mine and it only has a 2.2v pre out so i have to fade way to the rear for the sound to be even. with the 3200 being a 4v i don't think you'll have too much of an issue with that.
        Yes... it is a Front Wheel Drive... your point?

Comment

I have the metra kit. Guess I'll contact enfig. Their website is totally unclear around what I need.

Is for a 2004 a4...

Thanks for the input!
          Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
          2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Heard back from enfig. They say I also need a Pioneer Lead from Connects2. What is it? What does it do? My sense is that it brings in the steering wheel controls and makes it all work. BUT...there are no steering wheel controls, so do I still need it?
            Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
            2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Ok, got it all hooked up. Only problem now is that the unit does a factory reset every time the car is off. Was I supposed to do something special for continuous 12v power?
              Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
              2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

the yellow wire on the metra harness some times is not a constant 12v power, depends on the vehicle i cant remember which ones have the pin in the right location as the metra harness. there is one there just gadda check it with a test light, i can not remember which pin it is.
                Last edited by bitskyline; 06-06-2010, 02:21 PM.
                Yes... it is a Front Wheel Drive... your point?

Comment

Originally posted by bitskyline View Post
                  the yellow wire on the metra harness some times is not a constant 12v power, depends on the vehicle i cant remember which ones have the pin in the right location as the metra harness. there is one there just gadda check it with a test light, i can not remember which pin it is.
                  Right you are!

Red and Yellow were switched in the harness. Made the move, all works great (Metra dash kit kinda looks junky), and I even think it sounds better.

Thanks for all the ideas!
                  Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                  2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X