Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mishimoto FMIC FTW! (couple of pics too)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mishimoto FMIC FTW! (couple of pics too)

So I finally got my Mishimoto G line FMIC installed. I used 2.75 in piping from the turbo to the throttle body and opened my CAI intake piping to 3 in. As for boost, my wastegate PSI jumped from 12 to 14. So the stock SMIC must have been choking things to some degree.

Max boost seems to be capped at about 23 PSI still. However that's about the max that I want to be running on stock rods anyway. Boost onset seems to be quicker in 1st and 2nd. 3rd gear boost onset is about the same.

For anyone's interest, a Mishimoto G line fits quite nicely behind the Aluminium bumper. There was a little trimming of the bumper to make the piping fit. However it's certainly doable. For the $230 I paid for the intercooler it was well worth it.

Here's the intercooler itself

Here it is installed (yeah it's a little offset in this pic as I hadn't bolted it down yet.)

PS: As a side note, my car has taken a different approach to trying to kill me. Realizing that the previous night of sleep deprivation and raising my blood pressure didn't work, it's resorted to 2nd degree burns.

I was trimming the plastic on the bumper with a zip wheel when a big glob of what must have been molten plastic hit my forehead. I a) invented new curse words and b) frantically wiped it off. When I looked in the mirror I thought "hmm, I seem to remember that dime size patch of my forehead having skin on it."

So lesson learned, always make sure you have glasses on even when trimming plastic. I don't think my eye would have fared so well.
    "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Re: Mishimoto FMIC FTW! (couple of pics too)

fun times but that sounds like a japanese product to me.. you need more kraut
    Last edited by R_Ethug; 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Kraut wantee too much moneeey.

Comment

haha i'm just bugging..

Comment

I know, besides it's not like this is the first time the Germans and Japanese have collaborated As long as it doesn't turn out like the last time I'll be laughing (knock on wood).

Comment

man the top 6" of that IC are useless. the end tanks dont even allow for enough airflow up there.

yah shitty aftermaket parts.
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Riiight, shitty aftermarket parts I'll presume that you know better than Mishimoto and the other 500 companies that make intercoolers in this configuration. I'd love to hear what no doubt will be your brilliant solution, do tell...
              Last edited by Mister T; 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I'll throw in my two cents...
                A lot of high end intercoolers have internal fins that re-direct airflow over the entire core, to increase its effectiveness.
                I'm assuming he is referring to that... but he could also be referring to the amount of space that will be blocked by your bumper as well.
                Bigger isnt always better...

Comment

Understandable, however it seems to work quite well. Boost response is good and the car pulls way stronger than before. That, and the top 3 inches are exposed to airflow via the grille. Also, being a douchewank and offering unsolicited dumping on a thread is a surefire way to get a pissy response from me (not directing this at you R-Audi).
                  Last edited by Mister T; 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
                    Bigger isnt always better...
                    very true!
                    however if he is gaining boost, then the size should be efficient
                    ~~TODD~~
                    '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

It was a tossup between the smaller Z line and the G line. However when max (from cool direct) did the math, we found that the Z line was not going to cut it. That and the max PSI rating on it was only 21 PSI, so G line it was.

Comment

oh muffin did i hurt your feelings?
                        i dont even know why the passat is posted in the audi section, but whatever.

i dont know what mushi-mushi knows, or the purpose of why they sized things as they did for their intercoolor (im guessing profits over function). But from a cooling standpoint its certainly not efficient.
                        If you know anything about the movement of air, you know the straight and smoother the better.
                        There is NO point having a big intercooler if you cant move air evenly and efficiently across it. To make use of the top 3-6" of your intercooler air must enter at the bottom and immediately make a 90* turn. I dont care the amount of fins in place in the IC chamber (and for $230 i'd be interested if there are any) you still have to get the air up there. This is inefficient and is one more thing standing in the way of efficient airflow.

There is a reason quality intercoolers run upwards of $500+. Its not only the intercooler, but the end tanks that make an intercooler efficient.

In your case larger end tanks that allow air to evenly pass across the entire intercooler would make things much more efficient.

On top of all that enjoy driving on hot summers days with your AC on. You've just blocked 1/2 your rad, which also needs cooling.
                        Team Highschool
                        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Well, thank you kind sir. Were it not for your infinite engineering knowedge I wouldn't have known all this. You should go to work designing intercoolers.

What I do want to know, is what was your motive in posting what you did? I wasn't asking for advice, so that can't be it. Why would you post unsolicited crap on other people's threads. I know from other threads that you have a history of doing that, so this would be a good time to explain yourself.

Please explain

1) Your motivation in posting
                          2) What you hoped to achieve by this post
                          3) What qualifies you to dispense this kind of advice

I await your response...
                          Last edited by Mister T; 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

play nice or +20% on your next moxies bill

Comment

I used to Work at DURA-LITE here in Calgary as a mechanical designer. I designed intercoolers / Charge Air Coolers, and I also designed / Reverse engineered the end tanks, and made drawings for casting at the foundry. Or designed Fabricated end tanks.

I am thinking on designing my own intercooler for the GTI and trading for work! lol

In response to Rondals post about the air entering the end tanks and immediatley being required to make a 90 deg turn, and thus making the upper end of the intercooler useless:
                              This is assuming that there are no baffles inside the end tanks redirecting flow, and smoothing out the turbulance.

Also, there will be a pressure drop from the hot side to the cold side, which will also aid in "Pushing" more air across the upper fins.

Now if we really want to continue this debate, I know an engineer who has a PHD in heat transfer and 10 years of experience with intercooler thermodynamic calculations.

Comment

Working...
                              X