Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a 2000 S4

Hey Everyone,

New member here but not new to cars. I currently own a 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS that I've swapped a 2001 JDM STI 2.0L turbo, 6spd and brembo brakes (among other things) into.

What Im learning now is that once you've had your hands on every bolt in a car, even if you're careful in putting it back together, its not the most reliable car. The list is getting longer of things that go wrong and as of Sunday, its currently undrivable with what I think is a broken rear differential.

So, basically, since I love doing summer road trips and driving out to the mountains during winter, I've been thinking about picking up a cheap Audi S4. They're some of the first generation ones around going for about $10k around here. They seem to be a pretty solid deal for 250hp and AWD, mixed with a bit of luxury for the girlfriend during road trips.

Now, im going to go look at an S4 soon and was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on what to look for. For instance, I know that in Subaru's you check the head gasket and its pretty easy to tell if the clutch is going. What are some things that I should be aware of for the 2000/1 S4's?

Also, Im going to try to stay away from modifications for as long as possible. Im getting my fill with the STi swap but is a turbo-back exhaust and tune a fairly common first modification? What does that net you?

Thanks a lot and I really appreciate the help!

- Z
    The mistress: 2010 Audi S4 || Meteor Grey Pearl || 6MT || Sport Diff || Nav || B&O Sound System || Advanced Key || VMR 721 19x9.5 w/ Michelin PSS 265/35/19
    The ex: 2002 Subaru RSTI || Midnight Black Pearl || JDM STI Swap - EJ207 || 6MT || ST Coilovers || Blouch Dom 1.5XTR Turbo etc. || Airboy Tuned

Re: Thinking about buying a 2000 S4

don't buy silver

http://www.audizine.com/wiki/index.php?title=B5_S4

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post

Great! Thanks for the link.

Why not silver? That's actually the colour I was looking at.
      The mistress: 2010 Audi S4 || Meteor Grey Pearl || 6MT || Sport Diff || Nav || B&O Sound System || Advanced Key || VMR 721 19x9.5 w/ Michelin PSS 265/35/19
      The ex: 2002 Subaru RSTI || Midnight Black Pearl || JDM STI Swap - EJ207 || 6MT || ST Coilovers || Blouch Dom 1.5XTR Turbo etc. || Airboy Tuned

Comment

cause theres so many ppl that have silver
        2002 A4 1.8T Quattro//Tiptronic//Denim Blue//Unitronic Stage 1//Forge 007 DV//ITG Pro Drop In Filter//034 HFC//18'' Rs4 reps//Toyo Proxies//L.E.D. E-Codes...more to come

Comment

ford taurus sho for 60k is better. :P
          Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

Ahh, see, i dont really care that much about the colour. My STI is my pride and joy and the S4 would just be a comfortable road trip car and hopefully reliable daily driver.

The STi:

Originally posted by luunta View Post
            ford taurus sho for 60k is better. :P
            Better than what?
            Last edited by Zaider; 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

S4s are notorious for problems if not cared for properly. If youre olooking for something reliable, its not for you.

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I disagree. S4's can be quite reliable. BUT, the key, like you said, is that they need to be cared for properly.

Listen for a dentist drill sound when getting into boost. Also see if you can get it scanned for fault codes.

Exhaust and chip are the most common first modifications, and usually net you about 330chp.
                Jordan
                Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                (403) 690-7135
                jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
                  I disagree. S4's can be quite reliable. BUT, the key, like you said, is that they need to be cared for properly.

Listen for a dentist drill sound when getting into boost. Also see if you can get it scanned for fault codes.

Exhaust and chip are the most common first modifications, and usually net you about 330chp.
                  Thanks.

What's the dentist drill sound?

Would an OBDII scanner find the fault codes or is this something for a shop to take a look at?

Comment

nice car! i drove next to you on mcleod a bit ago.
                    Low Blue S4 with silver wheels!
                    anyways good luck on your hunt

dentist drill is troubled turbos
                    ~~TODD~~
                    '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post

Yes and you really think an S4 for 10k will be properly maintained? And then chipping it will certainly not help the turbos survive.

Zaider, if you didnt know, you have to pull the engine to do turbos
                      Last edited by onceover; 08-11-2010, 12:25 PM.

Pat

His
                      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Pull the motor for the turbos huh? Ouch. On the STI, its about an hour and a bit to remove the turbo.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

The more I think about it, the more I want something that's completely stock. Ill keep looking but the only ones I seem to find are the tiptronic. I prefer the 6 speed, but what's the tiptronic like? Is the auto transmission annoying like in other cars I've driven where it wont shift at the proper points?

Comment

Well you say you want a stock S4 but then one time you will go to a eurodrivers meet and some guy will offer you a ride in a stage 3 S4 and it will spiral out of control from there.

Hookers blow and S4 parts is all you will remember by the time it is all over.
                          2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
                          2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
                          2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                          2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
                          2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
                          2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                          1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
                          2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Originally posted by RSS View Post
                            Well you say you want a stock S4 but then one time you will go to a eurodrivers meet and some guy will offer you a ride in a stage 3 S4 and it will spiral out of control from there.

Hookers blow and S4 parts is all you will remember by the time it is all over.

Trust me. I know about the mod-bug. I started out with a bone-stock low-km 2002 Impreza 2.5RS and I believe the only stock parts left are the actual shell, doors, glass, parts of the dash, seats, and gas tank. The rest of it has been replaced with the goal of making it faster and better. Unfortunately, it now sits in the parking garage, unable to even make it up the ramp.

Another question.

The fact that a cheaper S4 (~10k) would not be reliably maintained was brought up. Do the turbos fail due to being pushed or is it basically a fault from the factory? I guess what im asking is should i be worried about the turbos on an unmodified S4 that seems to be properly maintained?
                            Last edited by Zaider; 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Turbos typically fail from both! Not being taken care of, and just plain old getting old.

There is a beautiful Nogaro S4 with upgraded turbos for sale on here.....
                              (Upgraded to the larger OEM RS4 turbos)

Comment

Working...
                              X