This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Overheating...

So I had my car towed on Friday night because it was flashing red warning lights about overheating.. Of course BMW won't even look at it until Monday so in the meantime I'm left wondering how much this will cost me. I shouldn't complain too much, 115k in 3.5 years and its been 100% trouble free so far, something was bound to break eventually!

Anyone have any guesses to what it might be? I'm hoping something simple like the thermostat is wonky, but I'm sure with my luck it'll be something big.
    2007 BMW 328XI

Re: Car Overheating...

There are lots of things it could be. Do you have the ability to scan the car yourself or are you leaving it completely to the dealer?

Thermostat is a possibility and not bad at all to change. At least not on the VAG products I've had. Could be your coolant pump is broken and not circulating. Were your fans operating correctly? If they broke your car would have trouble cooling as well.

Comment

That's tough to diagnose with out an OBD-II scanner to pull codes... barring a puddle of coolant from something busted.

GL! Hopefully it's something small and cheap like a sensor or coolant flange or such.
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

most likely the thermostat, hopefully..

Comment

bmw driver.... prob no coolant

D.J.
          Turbo SVT Focus
          Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Originally posted by ColinAndrews View Post
            Thermostat is a possibility and not bad at all to change. At least not on the VAG products I've had.
            LOL, just wait until you change the t-stat on your S4...
            Jordan
            Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
            JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
            (403) 690-7135
            jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

98% of thermostats fail in the open position, meaning that the engine runs too cold. There is still a chance that the T-stat is your problem, it's just unlikely.

Does it overheat on the highway, in traffic jams, or what? Or did the car just scream at you with a warning light- have you even noticed the temp gauge getting too high?
              Jordan
              Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
                LOL, just wait until you change the t-stat on your S4...
                Other than changing the oil there's pretty much no job thats "easy" on the 2.7T I've come to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by aliencurv View Post
                  bmw driver.... prob no coolant

audi driver.....prolly 100% water instead of coolant
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                    audi driver.....prolly 100% water instead of coolant
                    100% water actually has better heat capacity than when mixed with antifreeze!

the jerbel brought up some good questions to consider, could be several different things.
                    Last edited by J-hop; 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J-hop View Post
                      100% water actually has better heat capacity than when mixed with antifreeze!

the jerbel brought up some good questions to consider, could be several different things.
                      to a point, you have better cooling, but you're more prone to boiling and rusting.
                      Team Highschool
                      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

to a point, you have better cooling, but you're more prone to boiling and rusting.
                        lol!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAT? BOILING? WHAAAAAAT?
                        D.J.
                        Turbo SVT Focus
                        Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Yeah.....

Water boils when you heat it up. Didn't you know that?

RONDAL,

I think what DJ is trying to say, is that in a properly sealed system, your coolant is under such pressure that it will not boil whether you're running straight water or a water/coolant mix. When you relieve the pressure in the system by removing the rad cap, the water/coolant boils immediately, and you get dangerous steam coming out. While the system is pressurized, it would have to far exceed normal operating temperatures to boil over.
                          Last edited by The_Jerbel; 08-22-2010, 11:45 PM.
                          Jordan
                          Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

true about the rust as anti-freeze contains corrosion inhibitors, however according to a conversion chart a 50/50 mix will boil at 107 degrees as opposed to waters 100 degrees at standard conditions (1 atm) now I believe most cooling systems run at 15psi above atmospheric, according to google this raises the boiling point of water to 121 degrees c and 50/50 mix to 129 degrees c, sure if you are strictly looking at numbers you may be slightly more prone to boiling but if you are reaching coolant temps of 121 degrees c during normal driving you've got something seriously wrong with your engine/cooling system (especially when, as mentioned water has a higher heat capacity than the 50/50).
                            Last edited by J-hop; 08-23-2010, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
                              Yeah.....

Water boils when you heat it up. Didn't you know that?

RONDAL,

I think what DJ is trying to say, is that in a properly sealed system, your coolant is under such pressure that it will not boil whether you're running straight water or a water/coolant mix. When you relieve the pressure in the system by removing the rad cap, the water/coolant boils immediately, and you get dangerous steam coming out. While the system is pressurized, it would have to far exceed normal operating temperatures to boil over.
                              what i'm saying is in vegas, my 90% water and 10% coolant boiled and my car was towed to the dealershpi to get raped by a lambo mechanic that re-used my intake manifold gasket, didn't hook up my maf, and broke 3 vacum connectors. it was awesome. oh yah, i paid $600 for it
                              D.J.
                              Turbo SVT Focus
                              Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Working...
                              X