Autobody question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobody question

I was rear-ended in the wagon last Thursday. Thanks to another thread on here I was able to get all the other driver's info as well as sticking around until the report was filed to ensure that the other driver had the same recount of the accident. He admitted fault and I've already been approved for a 'no fault' claim to have the rear bumper fixed. It's got a puncture so I assume that they will replace with a new bumper skin and paint to match.

My question is this...

They have 2 preferred shops in town, A1 auto body and the CarStar chain. They say I can take it anywhere but they will only guarantee the work (if anything peels etc. for the life of the car) if I go with one of their shops. If I go to Cosmos and they don't want to match the price quoted by insurance I'm on the hook to make up the difference.

Should I just go with what is probably a lesser quality job at one of the above mentioned shops or talk to Loc about price and see if he can fix it for the price the adjuster comes up with?
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: Autobody question

I would go with whoever you feel comfortable with. Sorry to hear about your luck, it sounds like it is as good as mine these days. I looked at your car a couple times, man does it ever have a weird problem.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yeah, I feel for Paul. When I brought it in he thought it would be an easy fix. I hoped he was right, but was fully expecting where we're at right now. Electrical always has the potential to be a black hole. I don't drive it much, but kind of wish I had it so I can test-fit my side-skirts and send them off with my front lip for paint. I'll likely get them painted then wrap them in a blanket until next spring for install.
      Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
      hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
      sigpic

Comment

DOH!

a1 fixed my wifes hail damaged corolla and they did a good job if that helps

Comment

A1 also did my car once, no complaints

Pat

His
          1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
          1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
          1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
          2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
          Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Steak sauce!
            Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

I had a similar situation and I decided to go with Cosmo. I ended up paying the difference as Cosmo's was more money, however they didn't consult me when they couldn't find the stock replacement grill and put in the closest they could find which ended up being slightly more again. I was out of town so it was difficult to deal with.

In the end I ended up selling the vehicle so I honestly wish I would have gone with their approved shop. Would have been cheaper, easier, and the front bumper looked like crap after 1 winter (paint did not stand up at all).

Just my experience, if you get a better feeling from Cosmo's then by all means go with them.
              Jay

Comment

Your insurance company has to pay the bill at the shop of your choice. The lifetime warranty, however, is something you may want to consider.
                Jordan
                Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                (403) 690-7135
                jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

most shops have their own policy as well in terms of guaranteeing their own work. insurance will only pay up to what the adjustor says though, so while you can go anywhere, they wont pay anything.
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

That's what they tell you. My father in law is an insurance agent, and from what he's said to me, you can get a quote from any shop you want, and they'll have to honour your choice. It's the same thing with medical and dental insurance- they have a list of 5 or 6 dentists who are "approved" (they have a deal with the insurance company and give them a really good deal in exchange for the insurance guys sending business to them), but an insurance company cannot legally dictate where you get work done. You can choose where you get the service done, and the insurance company must pay for the damages to be repaired.

I needed some body work done one time, and the insurance company gave me the same old BS about "only the approved shops- A1, etc". I got a quote from Maranellos (the shop that always has at least a few Lambo, Ferrarri, Porsche sitting in the shop getting worked on), and told my insurance company that they were the only shop I trusted to do the work properly, and that they needed to pay for the work to get done at that shop. They did, and they didn't even put up an argument at all.
                    Last edited by The_Jerbel; 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM.
                    Jordan
                    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                    (403) 690-7135
                    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Jordan is 500 billion percent correct. Only time an adjuster can cap you out is on a write off payout. And obviously ridiculous prices. "My quote says $94,000 USD to get this hairline scratch out. Sounds about right."
                      Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

The above may be true, and is good to know, but it may also depend on how sick your significant other is dealing with it and if they want to try to argue with an adjuster.

Every situation is different I guess.
                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                        X