Custom Catback Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Catback Cost

Hi. I can get a magnaflow cat back for my s4 from hottexhaust for 750.00ish. Would it be remotely possible to get a well built custom job done locally for around the same cost?
    Last edited by JPO; 10-16-2010, 04:40 PM.
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: Custom Catback Cost

very possible, i dont see why not.
    Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

try planetmagnaflow.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

It's unlikely. The magnaflow is not a top-notch brand in terms of quality, but local exhaust shops use inferior materials and often inferior employees.
        They crank out those magnaflow systems at light speed with modern industrial technology.
        That said, the local exhaust shops that use aluminized material and MIG welding should be able to beat that price.
        Something in quality stainless material and mandrel bends would cost in the area of $1200-1500 locally.

Comment

The thing with the pre-made exhausts is that they've done multiple iterations in order to get the fit right, so that they have no complaints from their customers once the product ships.

They've made an exhaust (by hand), tried it, then done a second revision, tried it, then sometimes more, until its JUST right, then they have a factory duplicate their design when they know that its as good a fit as they can get.

But if you get it made locally, you get the guy's FIRST try. He basically draws up some plans/measurements and just starts welding pieces together until he's done.

Sure they will probably adjust it for you but I don't think the fit will be as good as the fit of a bolt-on needs to be. You're more likely to have problems with the bends not being exactly in the right places or at the right angles, or the mounting hardware not being exactly right etc.

Lastly, if you get a custom system what kind of muffler are you going to end up with? Even if you get a good brand name muffler on there, it hasn't been tested so you don't know if it will drone or sound good or bad until its all done. Again, "first try".
          Last edited by Kor; 10-16-2010, 09:33 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I got a Magnaflow catback from Calgary Auto Works a couple of years ago. I think it was under $750 but don't quote me.
            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

The custom exhaust that I had made was perfect. If you pay for perfection , you get it. My muffler is also custom made, aluminum. I couldn't be happier with the fit and sound. I did pay more than $750, but you get what you pay for.
              I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

love the sound of an S4 with magnaflows, not that loud but throaty as hell

Yes... it is a Front Wheel Drive... your point?

Comment

If you go over to beyond, there is a member called revhard that makes custom exhausts with good materials. I am unsure on pricing as i've never got one made by him, but i've seen his work and it is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by danosaur View Post
                    If you go over to beyond, there is a member called revhard that makes custom exhausts with good materials. I am unsure on pricing as i've never got one made by him, but i've seen his work and it is fantastic.
                    I think with some investigation, you will find rev hard closer than you think. My exhaust was done by him. I anyone is serious about a system, PM me. I am sure we can work things out at a great price, especially considering the quality.
                    I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Originally posted by nothing77 View Post
                      I think with some investigation, you will find rev hard closer than you think. .
                      See post number 4.

Comment

Working...
                      X