Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that have to be done for winter storage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that have to be done for winter storage???

I am getting ready to store my car for the winter and just woundering if there is anything that I am missing?? I drove the car till it only has very little gas left as well as pulled out my battery is there anything else that I should do?

Re: Things that have to be done for winter storage???

throw some spare wheels on if you have them to avoid flat spotting your current tires, otherwise when you go to fire it back up int he spring do an oil change right away as moisture will have got in there.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I've heard that gas tank should be full as possible to avoid condensation.

Pretty comprehensive list from another site also:

1. Change the oil and filter before storing the car as dirty oil is corrosive.
      2. Add fuel stabilizer to fuel tank, drive the car a bit to get it well mix with fuel and into the system.
      3. Wash and wax car. Condition rubber seals and leather interior.
      4. Clean the wheels as brake dust is corrosive as well.
      5. Over-inflate the tires by a few lbs to prevent flat spots. Check your manual for max. pressure.
      6. Park the car on level ground. Do not engage parking brake or rely on the transmission to hold car in position.
      7. Do not use stands to elevate car off ground.
      8. If store in unheated space, disconnect and remove battery. Keep battery indoor in a cool and dry place. Use trickle charger to top up battery.
      9. If store in heated space, either disconnect battery or attach trickle charger.
      10. Cover intake and exhaust pipe with cotton rag to prevent moisture or pest getting inside the engine (REMEMBER to remove them before starting car)
      11. Put moisture absorbent inside cabin if garage is wet.
      12. Put a good quality car cover
      on the car to keep dust off.
      13. Wait for spring to come...
      Last edited by theedge111; 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM.
      -Mike

Comment

i'm parking mine at the end of october..i just add some psi to the tires.. and i start it once in a while to keep the batter in check (even tho its a brand new optima red) other than that maybe some gas stuff but i've never had issues with it.

in the spring tho i change the oil first thing after a few minutes of warm up

Comment

Originally posted by grim420 View Post
          I am getting ready to store my car for the winter
          I have stored a car for the last several years in heated storage. Usually from mid-Oct thru to mid April.
          Full tank of gas, disconnect the battery and cover the car (optional) and if I remember, I also plug the exhaust pipe.
          Never had one issue.

Comment

I put a stabilizer in the tank and fill it up, put the winter wheels on and do a full
            Interior clean. I put a bounce sheet followed by a sock in my exhaust and I put bounce sheets in the trunk, cab and engine bay to keep mice away, and then it smells real nice in the spring as well. This is in a non heated garage.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

filling the gas tank is needed in places with humidity to stop condensation in the tank rusting stuff, but in calgary its so damn dry in the winter its not even an issue.
              so with that its almost better to drain the tank dry or as close to it so you can throw new fuel in there in hte spring and not have to run a full tank of stabalized fuel through the engine.

make sure the car is clean (and so is cover) before you put it on, it will otherwise scratch stuff.

make sure all windows are closed so that critters dont get in there.
              ive never had an issue with oil corroding anything, and i know it sucks after it sits, so i wouldnt put in new stuff and let it sit in the car for the winter. id just change it first thing in the spring, but do as you want.
              Team Highschool

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                filling the gas tank is needed in places with humidity to stop condensation in the tank rusting stuff, but in calgary its so damn dry in the winter its not even an issue.
                Not to mention that the tank is made of plastic
                Jordan
                Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                (403) 690-7135
                jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

tank might be plastic, but things like the level sensor and boom have metal components which can have surface rust appear on them and affect them.
                  Team Highschool

Comment

Working...
                  X